PDA

View Full Version : Hiking into Manchester Center, VT

Coosa
03-28-2013, 19:58
I've asked this elsewhere, but this is more appropriate ... When hiking into Manchester Center, does one take what my myap shows as "Old Rootsville Road" or normally hike to VT 11/30 road crossing? Taking "Old Rootsville Road" would mean hiking back up the road so as not to miss a white blaze and then going to Spruce Peak Shelter verses spending a night at Spruce Peak Shelter, hiking down to the road crossing/parking area and hitching in from VT 11/30 and then back to the Trailhead and hiking to Bromley Shelter for the night.

As usual, thanks for input.
Coosa:banana

10-K
03-28-2013, 20:01
I answered your other post... Hitch in on 11/30 where the AT crosses the highway. Easy hitch.

Jeff
03-28-2013, 20:06
I recommend staying in town...:)

10-K
03-28-2013, 20:11

You sure got that right!

Have they finished all the construction downtown?

Coosa
03-28-2013, 20:30

I looked at your website ... it is inviting for sure. :)

Cookerhiker
03-28-2013, 20:42
On my '07 thruhike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=205058), my hitch took less than 5 minutes.

Slo-go'en
03-28-2013, 20:44
If your lucky, you'll get to the Bromley parking lot just as Jeff is dropping off other hikers like I did last summer :)

Taking the "old Rootsville road" is possible and cuts a few miles off the hike, but you don't end up any where useful. From where is comes out in someones back yard, you still got a couple of miles of road walking to do to get into town proper.

burger
03-28-2013, 20:58
I got a hitch to town in about 2 minutes. Took about the same time to get a hitch out. Nice folks both ways. Just hitch.

Chaco Taco
03-28-2013, 22:14
I've asked this elsewhere, but this is more appropriate ... When hiking into Manchester Center, does one take what my myap shows as "Old Rootsville Road" or normally hike to VT 11/30 road crossing? Taking "Old Rootsville Road" would mean hiking back up the road so as not to miss a white blaze and then going to Spruce Peak Shelter verses spending a night at Spruce Peak Shelter, hiking down to the road crossing/parking area and hitching in from VT 11/30 and then back to the Trailhead and hiking to Bromley Shelter for the night.

As usual, thanks for input.
Coosa:banana
Vermonters are awesome and love hikers. Hitching wont be an issue. If you are planning on staying GMH, then call Jeff. I called him from the top of Stratton and got a ride from EMS.

Papa D
03-28-2013, 22:22
I got a hitch to town in about 2 minutes. Took about the same time to get a hitch out. Nice folks both ways. Just hitch.

ditto my experience - back of pickup truck in and family in minivan back 11/30

gumball
03-29-2013, 05:46
I love Vermont :)

Monkeywrench
03-29-2013, 07:00
I got a hitch within a minute or two of reaching the parking lot at Rt 11/30 at about 8:30am, from a woman who looked and sounded like a Kennedy. We mostly talked about her son in private school somewhere in the area, and then she recommended Up For Breakfast to me so she dropped me there.

I stayed at Jeff's Green Mountain House for two nights, and have been back every year since!

Jeff
03-29-2013, 07:55
Have they finished all the construction downtown?

Thankfully yes...things are back to normal and much improved near the bookstore and Mt Goat Outfitters.

10-K
03-29-2013, 08:00
Man I love that town. Don't know what it is about it really - it just suits me.

magic_game03
03-29-2013, 08:26
Last couple of times I've been through there it seemed like I always got picked up in a Mercedes or Land Rover. Manchester Center is kind of like 5th ave. NYC and they have a lot of tourist on the weekends. Still, very good vibe. I wouldn't call it a hiker town but it was very hiker friendly.

Chaco Taco
03-29-2013, 09:25
I have to agree, great little spot.

WingedMonkey
03-29-2013, 09:33

It's your Norman Rockwell Syndrome.

:p

Lone Wolf
03-29-2013, 09:52

you'd like northern VT much better. i like Jay a lot. i lived there 10 winters

Stalking Tortoise
03-29-2013, 10:14
I'll add that it is an easy 2 miles up to the Bromley Shelter from 11/30 and the shelter itself is a great place to spend the night.

Unless you have an opportunity to stay at the Green Mountain Hostel...

10-K
03-29-2013, 10:23
I stayed in the ski hut right on the top of Bromley Mountain in August. Had it all to myself in the pouring down rain.

It did suck a little because I had planned to get into Manchester Center that night and it got dark on me. All I had was a Ramen noodle and a handful of barbecue Fritos.

tiptoe
03-29-2013, 10:56
I hiked the Old Roots Road into town, and it wasn't that big a deal. Stayed at Green Mountain House (highly recommended), and Jeff took me back to the start of the Old Roots Road. At the time, I was looking to avoid hitches where possible.

Cookerhiker
03-29-2013, 18:00
I'll add that it is an easy 2 miles up to the Bromley Shelter from 11/30 and the shelter itself is a great place to spend the night.

Unless you have an opportunity to stay at the Green Mountain Hostel...

I stayed at that shelter last Fall - quite large and fairly new-looking. Had it to myself on a week night in October.

I stayed in the ski hut right on the top of Bromley Mountain in August. Had it all to myself in the pouring down rain.

It did suck a little because I had planned to get into Manchester Center that night and it got dark on me. All I had was a Ramen noodle and a handful of barbecue Fritos.

Wow, you must have starved. Even a full pack of Ramen noodles isn't that filling, let alone one noodle.:D

Miner
03-31-2013, 13:08
This may seem stupid, but, you can walk into town? When I was hiking VT in October, I had no idea. I just walked down to the highway (SOBO) and got an easy ride from a guy in the parking lot who had been taking pictures of the leaves. When I left town, I hitched by the doughnut shop while poeple were doing their morning commute to work and got picked up quickly by a pretty lady (I meant got a ride ;)).

Jeff
03-31-2013, 15:07
Miner...... NOBO's can leave the AT/LT at Prospect Rock and take the old jeep road (Rootville Rd) steeply down to the main highway. Unfortunately, you are still a mile and a half out of town.

Most of the folks who do this are LT hikers because it's indicated as an option in their "End-to-Enders" guide. Almost no one returns to the trail up Rootville Rd because it's a steep climb first thing.