PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a Sirius XMp3 Satellite Radio on the AT

Stofko
03-28-2013, 22:02
Has anyone had any luck using the XMp3 satellite radio on the AT?

prain4u
03-29-2013, 16:12
Not exactly. I have a portable Sirrius/XM radio that I usually have in my car. (I currently have the Onyx model). I have had portable satellite radios for approximately 6-7 years. Based upon my experience--especially with the PORTABLE models--it sure doesn't take very much to block the signal. Driving through heavy foliage can block the signal. (At the pace that a car travels, you usually pass through such areas pretty quickly. On foot, you would be moving through such "no signal areas for a much longer time. Plus, roads are much wider and "open to the sky" than an 18 inch wide hiking trail).

The AT has lots of overhead coverage from leaves and branches. It is called "the long green tunnel" for a reason. My GUESS would be that there would be MANY areas where a portable satellite radio would not work very well. Plus, you would have the hassle of powering it (plus the expense of paying your monthly subscription while you hike). I would get a "regular" (non-satellite) radio and/or MP3 player--and leave the satellite radio home.

Siarl
11-21-2013, 00:20
I was kind of wondering the same question since I do have a subscription to Sirius/XM. And the response sounds pretty accurate and logical. I do love listening to my music and that's the crux. I have never felt comfortable walking around with headphones in my ears. If I am wearing earbuds I'm usually sitting on the train, bus, or sitting still in some way. I don't like not being able to tell what's going on around me. But it's one thing I can consider between now and the time I do my hike.

fredmugs
11-21-2013, 08:50
Just a suggestion: If you do bring music get a pair of light over the ear headphones instead of earbuds. They will help keep your ears warm on days you really don't want to wear a hat and they'll keep the gnats off in the summer.

Wise Old Owl
11-21-2013, 09:44
The portable models as well as the ones in cars run roughly a two minute buffer for tunnels and lost signal. I drove thru the Tuscorora tunnel on the PTA which is one of the longest in PA and sat radio and ATT smart phones work just fine.

Nooga
11-21-2013, 16:12
The portable models as well as the ones in cars run roughly a two minute buffer for tunnels and lost signal. I drove thru the Tuscorora tunnel on the PTA which is one of the longest in PA and sat radio and ATT smart phones work just fine.

Your radio has a much longer buffer than mine. I've had mine cut out under overpasses.

Siarl
11-22-2013, 03:26
Just a suggestion: If you do bring music get a pair of light over the ear headphones instead of earbuds. They will help keep your ears warm on days you really don't want to wear a hat and they'll keep the gnats off in the summer.

Great idea regarding the headphones.

bfayer
11-22-2013, 06:19
Yes I have. But, I used it for news and weather, and did not have it on while actually hiking. Worked fine for me, I did not care if a specific location did not have coverage. It does not like having a mountain directly south of your location.

I have an old Pioneer Inno2.