PDA

View Full Version : Trail Conditions Around Jerry's Cabin shelter

The Cleaner
03-28-2013, 22:32
Just got back after a long day cutting firewood at the shelter.Met about 25 thru hikers in slogging through the snowy ridgecrest area.Along the top the snow was about 1' deep with higher drifts in places.Well on my way out the trail was very well packed down due to all the hikers.Most hiked on north and the shelter was full when I left.The very warm fire in the fireplace was one reason some stayed.Upon my arrival I did find the shelter had some litter,now packed out.I cut down several dead Pine trees close to the shelter.There is plenty of firewood there now and should last several days.Also I cut some pieces to use as stools around the fireplace.All of the hikers were very thankful for my efforts and even got a hug from one young lady:sun. I've attached several photos for you to see how things look there now.20778207792078020781207822078320784

BradMT
03-28-2013, 23:14
You're using a terrific saw, that's for sure... big blade too.

Looks like a pleasant way to spend the day...

HikerMom58
03-28-2013, 23:17
NICE Pics!!! ........................:sun

The Cleaner
03-28-2013, 23:30
You're using a terrific saw, that's for sure... big blade too.

Looks like a pleasant way to spend the day... Stihl MS362,59cc w/28" bar.Its like driving a small motorcycle through a log.If you're going to cut wood like the big dogs,you need a good saw when you hit the woods.....

The Cleaner
03-28-2013, 23:36
NICE Pics!!! ........................:sun I've got a friend who spent about a 1000$ for a Canon DSLR and I paid about 110$(a few years ago) for a Canon Powershot A590IS.When viewing pics posted here or Facebook you can't tell the difference.....

10-K
03-29-2013, 07:40
Is there still one of my cards up there? I dropped some off last week.

The Cleaner
03-29-2013, 07:50
Is there still one of my cards up there? I dropped some off last week. I found several of them still with the shelter register in the green mailbox.Unfortunately some goober had put some trash in there too.I got the register and put it in a large ziploc with your cards and tossed the mailbox a few feet outside the shelter,to be dealt with later.The mailbox took a direct hit from a falling tree:eek: and got crushed.I guess I'll have to pack it out next trip....

10-K
03-29-2013, 07:59
Good on you.. I contacted TEHCC this week and officially adopted No Business Knob shelter....

The Cleaner
03-29-2013, 08:20
Good on you.. I contacted TEHCC this week and officially adopted No Business Knob shelter.... Congrats on your adoption.Can you still drive up the USFS road near the shelter?If you can take a wheel barrow,you might need it sometimes:eek:.All the hikers I meet seem to be great people.A few of them are serial litterbugs disguised as hikers....

10-K
03-29-2013, 08:26
Congrats on your adoption.Can you still drive up the USFS road near the shelter?If you can take a wheel barrow,you might need it sometimes:eek:.All the hikers I meet seem to be great people.A few of them are serial litterbugs disguised as hikers....

Lord yeah... I wouldn't have adopted it if I couldn't have gotten within a quarter mile in my jeep. I was up there last week and there was a big ol' trash bag, full of trash, hanging from a tree and the shelter log was scattered all over the ground.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to drive up there for a few days because of the snow and mud.

The Cleaner
03-29-2013, 08:37
10-K, I can tell you from experience that you might clean-up the shelter and come back a week later only to see that it looks like you were not there.IMO any hiker who lives really close to the trail should help out some when they can.Lots more hikers on the trail=more litter.....

BradMT
03-29-2013, 09:04
Stihl MS362,59cc w/28" bar.Its like driving a small motorcycle through a log.If you're going to cut wood like the big dogs,you need a good saw when you hit the woods.....

I've dealt with a couple big dogs, but only had a Stihl with a 20" blade... me with the tree:

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa326/bradmacmt/Misc/BigOne.jpg

The Cleaner
03-29-2013, 09:17
I've dealt with a couple big dogs, but only had a Stihl with a 20" blade... me with the tree:

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa326/bradmacmt/Misc/BigOne.jpg Nice pic,BIG tree.BTW by the time I cut the 2nd tree yesterday,several hikers had arrived and gave cheers&applause when it hit the ground.....

BradMT
03-29-2013, 09:18
Nothing is quite as oddly satisfying as a big, dead tree hitting the ground!

The Cleaner
03-29-2013, 09:27
Nothing is quite as oddly satisfying as a big, dead tree hitting the ground! Especially when it fall where it supposed to:).....