PDA

View Full Version : Pack materials

blue indian
03-29-2013, 00:21
If you had the choice between 70d ripstop polyurethane coated nylon, 170d dyneema x, or 210 dyneema x for the main body of your pack, which would you choose?

Any experiences with 70d ripstop durability and water resistance on back bodies?

From my research the dyneema x would add about 2.5 - 3.5 oz to the overall pack weight, cost about $45 more than the ripstop nylon but adds to its durability considerably. Not really sure about its water resistance Plus it looks really cool!

First hand accounts and long term experiences with these materials would be much appreciated!

bubonicplay
03-29-2013, 03:40
Xpac is the best IMO

leaftye
03-29-2013, 03:56
Most of my experience is with 210 dyneema. I haven't found a problem with it. I took a short trip with 70D in dry weather, and didn't have any problems with it. The best I can do is recommend what's worked well for me for a long time, including some very heavy miles, and that's 210 dyneema x.

blue indian
03-31-2013, 11:44
Do you think the 210d is overkill?

leaftye
03-31-2013, 15:28
I would consider using multiple materials if cost is significantly less important than low weight and durability.

Is water resistance worth trying for? With all the seams and things sewn into the seams, water resistance is seriously compromised. Unless you have a simple pack with no exterior pockets or compression straps or loops, I wouldn't count on getting much water resistance. Some places I hike are very thorny, so there's probably a bunch of tiny holes in the panels of my pack too.

Why not give the 70d a shot and see what happens? People use 30d packs, so your 70d will probably last a while. Unless you get tired of sewing, you'll probably make another pack. Based on how the 70d holds up, you'll know where to switch fabrics.

Malto
03-31-2013, 20:20
Do you think the 210d is overkill?

I think it depends on how you view gear. If you view it as disposal (goes on your gear list as a consumable :) ) or if you don't hike a lot then the less robust material could work just fine. My current pack is 210d dyneema x and it has over 4000 miles and is going strong. My previous pack also had serious miles and its still in one piece. The biggest wear as been in the PU coating. There are probably other fabrics that are as durable but I would sacrifice durability for a couple of ounces, I use my pack too much.

blue indian
03-31-2013, 21:07
Well I'm not actually making the pack. Im getting one made. So the design of the pack is not up to me. But some of the materials are. I wish I had the skills to sew my own gear...

I take good care of my gear, being that a lot of it is UL, but I was wanting a pack that i don't have to "baby" as much and made of slightly more robust materials. That's why I am considering the 210d x. But being that it is more expensive and heavier than the 70d material, I have concerns that it is over kill.

I would like to have this pack for years to come. I will be using it for day hikes, weekenders, section hikes and my thru attempt planned for next year.

blue indian
03-31-2013, 21:18
Actually I have a day pack but sometimes I like loading up like I'm going out for a few days for training purposes. But regardless, this new pack would be my main go-to pack.

blue indian
03-31-2013, 23:08
Xpac is the best IMO

Not too familiar with this material. Did some research but didnt find as much info as I wanted. Any good resources for more info? What are your experiences with it?

Venchka
04-01-2013, 12:03
Well I'm not actually making the pack. Im getting one made. So the design of the pack is not up to me. But some of the materials are. I wish I had the skills to sew my own gear...

I take good care of my gear, being that a lot of it is UL, but I was wanting a pack that i don't have to "baby" as much and made of slightly more robust materials. That's why I am considering the 210d x. But being that it is more expensive and heavier than the 70d material, I have concerns that it is over kill.

I would like to have this pack for years to come. I will be using it for day hikes, weekenders, section hikes and my thru attempt planned for next year.

I think it depends on how you view gear. If you view it as disposal (goes on your gear list as a consumable :) ) or if you don't hike a lot then the less robust material could work just fine. My current pack is 210d dyneema x and it has over 4000 miles and is going strong. My previous pack also had serious miles and its still in one piece. The biggest wear as been in the PU coating. There are probably other fabrics that are as durable but I would sacrifice durability for a couple of ounces, I use my pack too much.

I believe you have your answer. Splitting hairs over 2.5-3.5 ounces and $45 is false economy when measured against long term durability. In the example from Malto, $45 works out to $0.01125/mile.
By comparison, I own a pack built in the early 1970s made entirely out of 1000 denier cordura nylon. To say that is is bulletproof is an understatement. Buy quality once.
No coated fabric is waterproof. You will still need to line the pack with plastic bags to keep dry things dry.
Out of curiosity, who is making your pack and which model are you looking at?

Wayne

blue indian
04-01-2013, 15:38
After trying packs from osprey, ula, granite gear, and gossamer gear I just can't find the right blend of features, comfort, and weight.

I then started looking into elemental horizons, specifically the kalais. Heard a lot of good things so I did some research and have been talking with the owner for a while. Great customer service by the way. The pack body comes standard with 70d nylon which made me weary. But Matthew offers 210 dyneema x. I have also asked about other fabrics but he would have to special order it which would cost more.

So now I'm trying to figure out if shelling out the extra cash is worth it for the dyneema x body or if the standard 70d would be fine.

bubonicplay
04-02-2013, 01:53
Xpac is waterproof, stiff (good for structure) and cheaper than dyneema x. Check out zimmerbuilt.com

Venchka
04-02-2013, 07:50
First hit in a long list of discussions about Dyneema....

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7986927

Are you convinced yet?

Wayne

blue indian
04-02-2013, 21:46
Dyneema it is. Now, I must choose between 140d and 240d.

Venchka
04-03-2013, 18:39
You are hard to please. Just get the 240d.

Wayne

blue indian
04-04-2013, 14:42
Haha. That may be true. Also just picky. I've spent too much money trying to find the right pack so I feel I must scrutinize every detail if I'm gonna drop this kind of money

Venchka
04-04-2013, 14:51
Been there. Done that. Being a belt & suspenders and form follows function kind of person, I always go for bulletproof and versatility. I haven't been disappointed yet.

Wayne

blue indian
04-09-2013, 21:58
went with the 210d dyneema x...should be pretty sweet

Venchka
04-10-2013, 07:16
We expect a full review. Photos. Video. Just kidding.
Use it well. Use it a lot.

Wayne

blue indian
04-10-2013, 18:34
We expect a full review. Photos. Video. Just kidding.
Use it well. Use it a lot.

Wayne

haha. thats the plan! Thanks for your input