PDA

View Full Version : NOC to Hot Springs resupply options?

Ashman
03-29-2013, 05:33
I'm planning a section hike for this summer starting at NOC and hiking north through to Smokies to Hot Springs. I was wondering if there are any places along that route I could mail a resupply box for food? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

10-K
03-29-2013, 05:55
Gatlinburg and Standing Bear are about the only places that I can think of. I guess maybe Fontana but that's pretty close to your starting point.

yellowsirocco
03-29-2013, 06:24
I guess maybe Fontana but that's pretty close to your starting point.
Fontana is so easy that it is silly not to go there. You call for the shuttle and they bring you to town for a couple of bucks, easy. No reason to carry all the extra weight especially with the climb out of NOC and Stecoah Gap.

10-K
03-29-2013, 06:32
Define "extra weight"? 2 lbs of food? Everything else would be the same.

It would depend on how fast you hike. It's like what... 29 miles? That's 1 full day and a couple of hours of hiking. I'd get there before they opened the next morning and have to sit there.

I'd rather carry 2 extra lbs of food than lose the time it would take to stop at Fontana. Different hiking styles I guess.

Ashman
03-29-2013, 08:02
If you do a pick up in fontanta you use the Post Office? Standing Bear is the Hostel on the north end of the park right?

10-K
03-29-2013, 08:07
If you do a pick up in fontanta you use the Post Office? Standing Bear is the Hostel on the north end of the park right?

Don't know about Fontana... But yes, Standing Bear is a few miles north of Davenport Gap. You can actually buy enough there to get you to Hot Springs if you eat normal hiker fare.

moldy
03-29-2013, 09:17
No Post Ofiice at Fontana Village mail it to Fontana Village resort, ATTN: Front Desk, 300 Woods Drive, Fontana Dam NC 28733. If you start at the NOC you won't need a resupply so soon as the Fontana Dam it's only 2 days out. I recommend just topping off your food bag at the store in Fontana Village. 3 or 4 days later you will be in Newfound gap and have the option of going into Gatlingurg TN for resupply. (It can be quite easy to get a ride from here) or 2 or 3 days later you will be at Standing Bear Hostel which will sell you enough food to get easily to Hot Springs which is 2 or 3 days from there.

Chaco Taco
03-29-2013, 09:23
Just know the road from Newfound to Gburg is currrently closed

10-K
03-29-2013, 09:24
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe 441 to Gatlinburg is open.

NFG to Cherokee is closed.

Ashman
03-29-2013, 10:04
Per the NPS website it is still closed in both directions. That could be out of date though.

MuddyWaters
03-29-2013, 10:05
There are even shuttlers that you can pay to bring your drop to you, if you mail it to them, so you dont even have to get off trail.
Not cheap, but more than one person has resupplied at NFG that way.

aflynn13
03-29-2013, 10:33

I am sending a maildrop to the the Fontana Village, NC Post Office (28733) with enough to get us to Hot Springs.

Zippy Morocco
03-29-2013, 10:43
We used the Fontana lodge for our mail drop a few weeks ago. They are very helpful and open 24-7. You don't have to stay the night to use it. You can also send out a flat rate package from there.

Zippy Morocco
03-29-2013, 10:46
Standing bear has plenty to get you through to hot springs if heading north. They are north of the park. It's a great place to spend a few hours, take a shower, have a pizza even if you don't stay the night.

flemdawg1
03-29-2013, 12:22
Define "extra weight"? 2 lbs of food? Everything else would be the same.

It would depend on how fast you hike. It's like what... 29 miles? That's 1 full day and a couple of hours of hiking. I'd get there before they opened the next morning and have to sit there.

I'd rather carry 2 extra lbs of food than lose the time it would take to stop at Fontana. Different hiking styles I guess.

Its 2 days or more for most people, we don't all bang out 20+ mpd like you.

10-K
03-29-2013, 13:00
In the interest of time I'd be sorely tempted to carry 5 days worth of food and go straight from NOC to SBF. Resupply in this 100 mile section requires a lot of off-trail time.

Ordinarily I wouldn't carry that much food but considering the load gets lighter all the time it's bearable if necessary from time to time.

Praha4
03-29-2013, 13:20
Chinmusic posted on his Trail Journal yesterday that they re-opened 441 from Gatlinburg to Newfound Gap yesterday afternoon.