PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on how to carry travel guitar with me?

Popnfrsh24
03-29-2013, 10:59
Hey guys,

So I am about to leave apr 15 for my 2013 NOBO thru hike. One thing I still need to do is figure out how to carry my travel guitar with me. I have a washburn rover acoustic travel guitar, and I have an opsrey exos 58 pack. I really have no clue on how I am going to carry it with me. The guitar came with a nice carry along bag, but it is rather large and seems like it is too heavy. Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to attach it to my bag with a lightweight method? I realize that a homemade way might not be the most durable, especially if I fall, it seems like my guitar would get destroyed. So, does anyone think I should just use the travel case that came with it?

Slo-go'en
03-29-2013, 11:04
Bungie cords - or better yet, leave it home...

Tipi Walter
03-29-2013, 11:10
Check out Patman at Trailspace and leave him a message. Here's a fotog of him on Hangover Mt with his gitar.

http://assets.trailspace.com/assets/4/b/7/738487/TRIP-126-295.jpg

Tipi Walter
03-29-2013, 11:12

I tend to agree. In fact I agree wholeheartedly. Man made noise---whether bongo drums or guitars or tubas or screaming motorcycles or chainsaws or howling clarinets or the gentle wooden recorder don't belong in the woods, LNT and all. Part of LNT is to keep QUIET.

magic_game03
03-29-2013, 11:27
Dude, carry the strings if you can. The kind of people who don't want to hear the beautiful sound of a guitar are also the people who aren't going to stay at shelters anyway because they can't stand you getting more attention than themselves and/or they hate people in general.

P.S. LNT doesn't have anything to do with keeping quiet.

mcstick
03-29-2013, 11:33
Leave at home. Or carry it and send it home in a couple weeks.

MDSection12
03-29-2013, 11:34
LNT doesn't have anything to do with keeping quiet.

It sure does.

http://lnt.org/learn/7-principles

"Let nature's sounds prevail. Avoid loud voices and noises."

flemdawg1
03-29-2013, 12:13
A small travel guitar is probably nearly inaudible 50 ft away. Don't let the naysayers scare you off.

Feral Bill
03-29-2013, 12:19
It sure does.

http://lnt.org/learn/7-principles

"Let nature's sounds prevail. Avoid loud voices and noises." So no one should talk, sing, or ooh and aah in excitement? LNT is a nonsense concept in any event. Utterly impossible.

Wuff
03-29-2013, 13:48
Lots of haters will jump on this thread, but either way I wouldn't over think it. Odds are you'll decide to send it home after a few weeks. Playing the guitar won't sound so appealing at the end of a long day.

Tipi Walter
03-29-2013, 13:58
Dude, carry the strings if you can. The kind of people who don't want to hear the beautiful sound of a guitar are also the people who aren't going to stay at shelters anyway because they can't stand you getting more attention than themselves and/or they hate people in general.

P.S. LNT doesn't have anything to do with keeping quiet.

See MDSection12's post. It's not hating people in general but hating their bonobo howlings.

Slo-go'en
03-29-2013, 14:00
So no one should talk, sing, or ooh and aah in excitement? LNT is a nonsense concept in any event. Utterly impossible.

I've come across more than a few camp groups making so much noise, I can hear them 1/4 mile away. It can be very annoying. Then there is the bonding rituals which can be really loud too. They forget they are not the only ones out in the woods...

10-K
03-29-2013, 14:02
Playing an instrument around other people that you aren't sure enjoy it is not far removed from making calls on your cell phone and gabbing away around others.

Some people won't mind - most people will be annoyed. If you don't do it, no one will be annoyed.... so be a good citizen please...

MuddyWaters
03-29-2013, 14:07
Consider:

1) how tired you will be
2) how wet everything will be sometimes
3) how little time is spent besides walking, eating, and sleeping
4) how important weight will become to you

magic_game03
03-29-2013, 14:54
how scary is this thought. Ya pull into a shelter with 20 people camped in and around it but everybody is mute. You try to ask somebody where the water source is and they whisper back to you like somebody died, "it's over there," then they walk off.

First, LNT guide lines advise against LOUD noises not sweet melody :) . After some of the experiences I've had at busy shelters an electric guitar with a 200W amp couldn't have been heard over the chaos, much less an acoustic.

Second, If your going to choose a silent void you should avoid the AT. Kinda like saying there should be easy parking in Time Square. It is, after all, the most famous and heavily used LD trail in the WORLD! Expect the same for the shelters and camping. By the way, if you want a quiet spot there are plenty to be had just don't think your going to pull up to a shelter and throw down your 2nd grade, quite-time vibe and expect others to follow along. I'm not trying to say this is great, I'm just pointing out the reality that exist on the AT. And since most weekend hikers don't log into WB or the LNT site before they go camping you're just going to have to deal with reality.

Third, hey Tipi. What's your fascination with bonobos? And how can you hate a bonobo howlings but like bonobos? I feel like your saying you like turtles but you hate their shells.

MDSection12
03-29-2013, 15:06
So no one should talk, sing, or ooh and aah in excitement? LNT is a nonsense concept in any event. Utterly impossible.

It's something that everyone going into the woods should strive for, in my opinion. It's not always possible to follow it to a 'T' but I don't think that means we throw it out the window.

Put it this way; if everyone followed LNT to a 'T' the areas we love to enjoy would be better preserved for our children's children and so on. That is a fact. Now how close to 'to a T' you think you need to be is open for debate, but there is no doubt in my mind that any true outdoorsman should at least aspire to get as close as they can.[

QUOTE=magic_game03;1451641]how scary is this thought. Ya pull into a shelter with 20 people camped in and around it but everybody is mute. You try to ask somebody where the water source is and they whisper back to you like somebody died, "it's over there," then they walk off.

First, LNT guide lines advise against LOUD noises not sweet melody :) . After some of the experiences I've had at busy shelters an electric guitar with a 200W amp couldn't have been heard over the chaos, much less an acoustic.

Second, If your going to choose a silent void you should avoid the AT. Kinda like saying there should be easy parking in Time Square. It is, after all, the most famous and heavily used LD trail in the WORLD! Expect the same for the shelters and camping. By the way, if you want a quiet spot there are plenty to be had just don't think your going to pull up to a shelter and throw down your 2nd grade, quite-time vibe and expect others to follow along. I'm not trying to say this is great, I'm just pointing out the reality that exist on the AT. And since most weekend hikers don't log into WB or the LNT site before they go camping you're just going to have to deal with reality.

Third, hey Tipi. What's your fascination with bonobos? And how can you hate a bonobo howlings but like bonobos? I feel like your saying you like turtles but you hate their shells.[/QUOTE]

First off, pulling up to a shelter with 20 people in it is a scary thought to begin with. :p

Second, I never said the guy shouldn't take an acoustic. I simply responded to your incorrect statement. I don't think he should take his guitar, but more because I don't think he'll use it as much as he thinks he will... There are certainly ways to respectfully make use of a guitar on a thru... I just wouldn't see the hassle being worth the rewards.

I've often though that when I finally get to do my thru (please be 2014, please be 2014) I will be ecstatic when the day comes that some weekender has a guitar at the shelter I can noodle on a bit. I look forward to taking a few months off from guitar and getting to remind myself how much I enjoy it when the opportunity arises out of nowhere. That's one of those 'small dreams' I have for the AT. :)

MDSection12
03-29-2013, 15:11
Wow, that's a mess... Sorry.

It's something that everyone going into the woods should strive for, in my opinion. It's not always possible to follow it to a 'T' but I don't think that means we throw it out the window.

Put it this way; if everyone followed LNT to a 'T' the areas we love to enjoy would be better preserved for our children's children and so on. That is a fact. Now how close to 'to a T' you think you need to be is open for debate, but there is no doubt in my mind that any true outdoorsman should at least aspire to get as close as they can.

how scary is this thought. Ya pull into a shelter with 20 people camped in and around it but everybody is mute. You try to ask somebody where the water source is and they whisper back to you like somebody died, "it's over there," then they walk off.

Third, hey Tipi. What's your fascination with bonobos? And how can you hate a bonobo howlings but like bonobos? I feel like your saying you like turtles but you hate their shells.

First off, pulling up to a shelter with 20 people in it is a scary thought to begin with. :p

Second, I never said the guy shouldn't take an acoustic. I simply responded to your incorrect statement. I don't think he should take his guitar, but more because I don't think he'll use it as much as he thinks he will... There are certainly ways to respectfully make use of a guitar on a thru... I just wouldn't see the hassle being worth the rewards.

I've often though that when I finally get to do my thru (please be 2014, please be 2014) I will be ecstatic when the day comes that some weekender has a guitar at the shelter I can noodle on a bit. I look forward to taking a few months off from guitar and getting to remind myself how much I enjoy it when the opportunity arises out of nowhere. That's one of those 'small dreams' I have for the AT.

magic_game03
03-29-2013, 15:42
humm, how much do I want to debate LNT:rolleyes:

First, LNT was around long before some group of organizers decided they could get some government funding by creating a consortium (LNT.org), so just because they say they have 7 principles of LNT doesn't make it so.

Second, if I yell in the woods do I leave a trace? Can you come by that spot days later and find my trace? Cause if you can then I know some snorers out there that are going to have some trouble.

Third, I agree that noise can be an issue. In fact, leave your stinkin strings at home dude, I'd rather mope around the shelter and talk about how many miles I did today anyway. Hey is that, that new titanium... :)

prain4u
03-29-2013, 15:44

I agree with both parts--but particularly the second part. (But, hey HYOH and go for it--if it is really that important to you).

The chances of both you--and the guitar--making it all the way to Katahdin are pretty slim. A guitar causes you to carry quite a bit of bulk and weight--for an item which serves no practical purpose--and which the "elements" could damage.

Some people will carry a heavier sleeping bag--but at least that extra weight can keep them warm. Others may carry a heavy first aid kit--but at least that can perhaps be helpful if they get sick or injured. Extra ounces or pounds of food can help you keep up your body weight and energy. A guitar is just extra weight and bulk for purely aesthetic or luxury reasons. (Plus, unlike the sleeping bag, the extra food, or the heavier first aid kit--a guitar does not pack well or travel well).

magic_game03
03-29-2013, 15:58
I agree with both parts--but particularly the second part. (But, hey HYOH and go for it--if it is really that important to you).

The chances of both you--and the guitar--making it all the way to Katahdin are pretty slim. A guitar causes you to carry quite a bit of bulk and weight--for an item which serves no practical purpose...

Another lover of people... hey dude, cary your guitar but you suck and you're not going to make it to Katahdin.

A guitar is just extra weight and bulk for purely aesthetic or luxury reasons...

Isn't life purely aesthetic for luxury reasons? When you go to church prain4u do you wear your garden grubs or do you put on a nicer set of clothes? Really, does god care if you are dressed up? No. It's purely aesthetic. And when you eat, do you ever put on ketchup, mustard, or mayo? that's all for the pure luxury of taste, it's not necessary. And didn't moses walk around the desert for like 40 years, bet he didn't have a nice pair of hiking boots...so again, luxury. Don't think I need to go on.

Slo-go'en
03-29-2013, 15:58
Of course, it really all depends on how good you are playing it. I've met a few good players, but it seems thier the exception. The poor to mediocre are more common. If your good enough that people would pay money to hear you play, bring it along. If not, do everyone a favor and leave it home.

Since I'll be getting on at Springer a couple days after Popnfrsh24, I might have a chance to find out if it's worth paying money to hear him play or not...

MuddyWaters
03-29-2013, 16:09
Used to have a leader in our scout troop that was a musician. A real one. He had played in various bands, from rock to country to bluegrass. He had met and played backup for some very famous people, etc. Currently was playing mandolin in a bluegrass/americana band, and working as a HS art teacher.

He had a great voice, could sing and play about anything. He would entertain 30 people for hours around a campfire at night. Just a natural entertainer, and great storyteller, with great stories to tell.

I cant say I would want him to bring a Guitar on the trail if he was with me though.

rocketsocks
03-29-2013, 16:16
Don't care either way, bring it, don't bring it, as long as the person doing the playing has some social skills and excepts the fact that not everyone is interested in hearing guitar being played, there's a time and place for everything, just be cool/chill with it. I also play guitar a bit, not sue I'd bring one on the trail though...to each there own right. Maybe bring a strap so if the mood in camp is not there you can always take a walk with it and still play....Oh, spose i'd use some light weight bunggie type cordage to fasten it down, have a great hike popnfrsh24, keep it dry, keep it real.

Alligator
03-29-2013, 16:40
Hey guys,

So I am about to leave apr 15 for my 2013 NOBO thru hike. One thing I still need to do is figure out how to carry my travel guitar with me. I have a washburn rover acoustic travel guitar, and I have an opsrey exos 58 pack. I really have no clue on how I am going to carry it with me. The guitar came with a nice carry along bag, but it is rather large and seems like it is too heavy. Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to attach it to my bag with a lightweight method? I realize that a homemade way might not be the most durable, especially if I fall, it seems like my guitar would get destroyed. So, does anyone think I should just use the travel case that came with it?

I copied your post over to Straight Forward so you might have a better chance to have your question answered directly.

moldy
03-30-2013, 09:27
So you ask a queston about"HOW", and they start a fight about "WHY" and before you know it there's 125 responses to anything but your original question. If you can't fit it in your backpack then your only good choice is on the outside. So to fit it I would take the loaded backpack with your rain cover on, then bungie it in it's waterproof bag in the middle of the back, neck up, don't have it too high so it won't catch on low hanging branches. It might be a good idea to do a search for photo's on this and other web pages. You see very few musical insturments these days on the trail and it's kind of a treat when you see one. Back in the 70's they were everywhere. You will attract more friends than you will drive away. It adds a memorable sweetness to the evening campfire. Most of the negative response you hear on this web page comes from people who hear the echo from 40 years ago when there daddy yelled" YOU KIDS TURN THAT DAMN RADIO DOWN" and they have yet to recover.

Slo-go'en
03-30-2013, 10:25
For attaching the case to the pack, I would get a metal grommet kit and add at least four grommets to the back side of the travel case. Two up near the top of the body on either side and two near the bottom. Now a cord can be passed through the grommets and tied to side straps or other tie points of the pack. While your at it, it would be worth adding a grommet or two to the bottom of the case for weep holes. That way if any water gets into the case, it has a place to drain.

You might want to figure out some kind of quick disconnect system, as the guitar will get in the way of accessing things in the pack quickly and make any pockets on the back side of the pack useless.

A possible altrunative would be to sew a very large pocket to the back of the pack for the guitar to sit, but I can see a number of problems with that idea, so never mind...

Old Hiker
03-30-2013, 10:46
So you ask a queston about"HOW", and they start a fight about "WHY" and before you know it there's 125 responses to anything but your original question. .................................................. ....... Most of the negative response you hear on this web page comes from people who hear the echo from 40 years ago when there daddy yelled" YOU KIDS TURN THAT DAMN RADIO DOWN" and they have yet to recover.

The last sentence made me laugh. I remember MY father doing that. My question to him now is: sex, drugs, rock-n-roll - which one WOULDN'T kill me, Dad? I hope you're happy I picked r-n-r!

Guitar - the only practical way I can see to carry it would be outside, where you risk the neck, etc. every time you fell, went under a tree, etc. I slipped and fell on my butt several times, so even neck down would be a problem.

Carry - don't carry - practice before hand, though. Don't be insulted if I moved away from your location if you start playing. I don't "hate" people, I don't believe in every LNT practice, I just want quiet so I can sleep.

Also, think about how to ship it home if it gets to be a problem.

Happy trails - see you up there.

Cadenza
03-30-2013, 12:45
Unless you play like Lenny Breau, Tommy Emmanuel, Joe Pass, Herb Ellis,.....leave it at home.
Owning a guitar does not make one a musician.
Musical illiterates who want to strum and sing Eagles songs, John Denver, or anything 'country,' etc ad nauseum turn my stomach!
It's downright offensive.

If you look in my gallery you'll see a pic of me playing flute.
But there was no one around within several miles.
Even as a pro player I wouldn't subject total strangers in the woods to something they might not want to hear.

Tipi Walter
03-30-2013, 13:10
Unless you play like Lenny Breau, Tommy Emmanuel, Joe Pass, Herb Ellis,.....leave it at home.
Musical illiterates who want to strum and sing Eagles songs, John Denver, or anything 'country,' etc ad nauseum turn my stomach!

Even as a pro player I wouldn't subject total strangers in the woods to something they might not want to hear.

Amen, pass the beans and rice.

Kookork
03-30-2013, 14:31

Wow , why are you so harsh to somebody that you have no clue how good or bad he is ?

Unless there is a law that forbids people to bring their musical instrument on trails he has every right to bring it . he is carrying it not you not me and if you don't like the sound of it you just can move 100 yards and you are safe . Even if he is not an average musician it seems he enjoys the sound of his guitar.

Cadenza
03-30-2013, 15:39
Au contare. I shouldn't HAVE to move!

Cadenza
03-30-2013, 15:40
Even if he is not an average musician it seems he enjoys the sound of his guitar.

That's fine and dandy,....so long as others aren't subjected to it.

Average,.....in my estimation,.......is horrid!

Cadenza
03-30-2013, 15:41
"Hell is full of musical amateurs." - George Bernard Shaw

Old Hiker
03-30-2013, 16:13
"Hell is full of musical amateurs." - George Bernard Shaw

Interesting quote from an known atheist.

Guitar playing would be subject to peer pressure. Pretty sure no regs say no about them. Tuba playing, now, don't get me started on tuba playing...........

Tipi Walter
03-30-2013, 16:22
Wow , why are you so harsh to somebody that you have no clue how good or bad he is ?

Unless there is a law that forbids people to bring their musical instrument on trails he has every right to bring it . he is carrying it not you not me and if you don't like the sound of it you just can move 100 yards and you are safe . Even if he is not an average musician it seems he enjoys the sound of his guitar.

College music schools are full of practice rooms full of students sawing away on violins or plucking guitars or slapping piano keys or blowing trumpets and so let the wannabe guitarist find himself a practice room shut away from the natural world or better yet, let him put a hat out on a sidewalk in a town and play street music for a little $ while competing with traffic noise.

There is a law against human generated noise in the places I go---like wilderness areas banning chainsaws and mopeds and weed eaters---and the AT ain't much different. The law for musicians is the law of respect. I know, it's a tough concept to understand what with 85,000 jets flying overhead every day and screaming motorcycles racing the roads below and hovering helicopters and soon-to-be 30,000 drones flying by and everybody wearing an iPod but these hateful examples are why some of us are so adamant about musicians coming out on the trail and blasting forth their form of noise pollution. Haven't we had enough of the spewings of humans?

Thunder bolts, windstorms, rain on the tent, waterfalls, birds chirping, coyotes barking, even glorious silence---No human noise needed or wanted.

Kookork
03-30-2013, 19:11
College music schools are full of practice rooms full of students sawing away on violins or plucking guitars or slapping piano keys or blowing trumpets and so let the wannabe guitarist find himself a practice room shut away from the natural world or better yet, let him put a hat out on a sidewalk in a town and play street music for a little $ while competing with traffic noise.

There is a law against human generated noise in the places I go---like wilderness areas banning chainsaws and mopeds and weed eaters---and the AT ain't much different. The law for musicians is the law of respect. I know, it's a tough concept to understand what with 85,000 jets flying overhead every day and screaming motorcycles racing the roads below and hovering helicopters and soon-to-be 30,000 drones flying by and everybody wearing an iPod but these hateful examples are why some of us are so adamant about musicians coming out on the trail and blasting forth their form of noise pollution. Haven't we had enough of the spewings of humans?

Thunder bolts, windstorms, rain on the tent, waterfalls, birds chirping, coyotes barking, even glorious silence---No human noise needed or wanted.

I am amazed when you categorize sound of music equal to chainsaw and moped and ....
I expect more from you ,seriously.

fiddlehead
03-30-2013, 21:02
I carry a Martin backpacker on most of my thru-hikes.
I simply put it in the case it came in, (wrap the one end around a bit and fasten with a big rubber band) and I have had side straps sewn on my Go-lite Breeze pack.
It works fine for me.
I carry an extra E string usually as I tend to break that one a lot.
I have a rule: If I'm carrying it, I'm playing it. at least once a day.
Helped me become a professional musician after carrying it on 4 thru-hikes.
Hopefully it will do the same for you.
I tend to camp by myself a lot so have to problem with people who don't want to hear my music.
I play it more at breaks during the day on the trail as I'm usually pretty busy at night with setting up, eating, and sleeping.
Have met many amazing musicians on the trails.
Have fun.

Tinker
03-30-2013, 21:11
Hey guys,

I use a kayak stern storage bag lined with 1/4" poly packing foam for my Go-guitar. I strap it to the back of my pack upside-down with the strings towards the pack because it gives a pinch point for the lashing strap at the junction of the neck and the body of the guitar (I'm rethinking this right now, because it leaves the tuning pegs vulnerable to damage if I should fall backwards, but the security of the strap placement that I currently use may prevent me from strapping the guitar string-side out). I might have a picture or two in my gallery.

Here: http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/5/0/2/dscn0556_thumb.jpg[/URL ([URL]http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=49999)]

Fur Queue
03-30-2013, 21:49
I'm from the Belushi school on this one...http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=G1xqI_4btnc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DG1xqI_4btnc

Popnfrsh24
04-09-2013, 10:12
I use a kayak stern storage bag lined with 1/4" poly packing foam for my Go-guitar. I strap it to the back of my pack upside-down with the strings towards the pack because it gives a pinch point for the lashing strap at the junction of the neck and the body of the guitar (I'm rethinking this right now, because it leaves the tuning pegs vulnerable to damage if I should fall backwards, but the security of the strap placement that I currently use may prevent me from strapping the guitar string-side out). I might have a picture or two in my gallery.

Here: http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/5/0/2/dscn0556_thumb.jpg[/URL (http://[URL]http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=49999)]

Awesome! I want to do something like this...I believe someone mentioned you before so I was wondering how you did it. There is a kayak store around here so I will check out what a kayak stern storage bag. I have like 8 extra trash compactor bags that I could use...but I am guessing these will be way too vulnerable to tears while I am out there?

Thanks,

Pop

wcgornto
04-09-2013, 10:35
My general experience on the AT with guitars isn't the question of whether other people will enjoy listening to good guitar music, rather it is a question of whether the person carrying the guitar knows how to play it. Generally, I have heard poor attempts to play the guitar and even worse attempts to sing while playing said guitar. The offensive sound to me was more from the lack of skill rather than from the mere presence of the guitar.

There are some hikers who might want to hear good guitar music. There are few hikers who want to hear bad guitar music accompanied by bad singing.

shakey_snake
04-09-2013, 10:53
Clueless weekender, here.

I think there's a guitar app for iPhones.

Bencape4
04-09-2013, 11:06
The chances of both you--and the guitar--making it all the way to Katahdin are pretty slim. A guitar causes you to carry quite a bit of bulk and weight--for an item which serves no practical purpose--and which the "elements" could damage.

it seems like a lot, but i could carry my full pack with a martin backpacker strapped to to the outside and have a base weight of 13 maybe 14 pounds. there are many reasons to go ultralight, and sometimes its just so you can have those things that you really need. that your soul needs not just your body. a thru hike isnt purely about a physical journey. theres a lot of emotional and spiritual growth that happens. often people need there guitar as a way of expressing that.

Popnfrsh24
04-09-2013, 22:51
yeah...i am a pretty good guitarists as well as a singer, and I am looking forward to getting away from everything to hopefully tune in to my "creative" side. I hope to entertain lots of people out there!

Popnfrsh24
04-09-2013, 22:53
I'll let you guys be the judge...here is a link to my soundcloud with some guitar covers and an original. Think people will enjoy on the trail?

https://soundcloud.com/kljweshrfgkeqrhflkqrefh

kwijibo1234
04-12-2013, 08:27
I carried an Emerald X5 carbon fiber travel guitar from Mexico to Canada on the PCT last summer.

swjohnsey
04-12-2013, 21:50
I have a suggestion but I'm afraid I will be banned.

stranger
04-13-2013, 08:22
Hey guys,

I'm a bass player of 20+ years, professional touring musician and long distance hiker. Music defines much of my life.

Leave your guitar at home, that's my advice...you wanna play guitar, form a band and go on tour.

Wanna go hiking, go hiking.

Cadenza
05-12-2013, 21:30
I carry a Martin backpacker on most of my thru-hikes.

Helped me become a professional musician after carrying it on 4 thru-hikes.

This is laughable.

I'll let you guys be the judge...here is a link to my soundcloud with some guitar covers and an original. Think people will enjoy on the trail?

https://soundcloud.com/kljweshrfgkeqrhflkqrefh

NO!

I'm a ......professional touring musician and long distance hiker. Music defines much of my life.

Leave your guitar at home, that's my advice...you wanna play guitar, form a band and go on tour.

Wanna go hiking, go hiking.

EXACTLY.

rocketsocks
05-12-2013, 23:21
I have a suggestion but I'm afraid I will be banned.Did it involve placement and no shinning :sun...:eek:terrible...:) you bad boy.

Another Kevin
05-14-2013, 09:30
I've told this story before - but I think it might bear repeating.

I have been known to commit the sin of carrying a recorder or pennywhistle while hiking. I don't bring it out when people are about. Of course, sometimes people will arrive when I'm playing. If that happens, I always apologize and put the thing away. A large fraction of the time, the reply is, "no, please go on, I was enjoying that." And even that, I answer with, "You sure? Really, I don't mind stopping!" (To give an idea of my skill level on the recorder, I play mostly folk tunes on the trail, but I can manage a fair performance of the unaccompanied flute sonatas of Bach or Telemann.)

One fond memory of mine, lordy, it must be thirty-odd years ago, was a time that I was playing (after the mandatory apology) for a group of people at a shelter, including two older couples. When I started playing Haste to the Wedding (I think - it was one of the old set pieces, anyway), the four old people stood up and started dancing a four-hand reel on the flat ground by the fire pit. Good dancers they were, too. For all I know, they were of the daoine sídhe and belonged there in the hills - the encounter was that magical.

Now, I'm sure that the LNT devotees will say that we were all violating the sanctity of the woods. But that impromptu céilidh really was trail magic of the highest order. Was it selfish to do it? Maybe. But the only way to leave absolutely no trace not to go at all. To me, a spot of music ranks fairly low among the sins against LNT.

I think I've probably just demonstrated what a clueless weekender I am. Feel free to denounce me. :o

grayfox
05-14-2013, 16:54
disclaimer=I haven't read all the posts....

That said, do you carry one of those skinny guitars? If so, I wonder if you could use a long piece of seal-a-meal bag roll material with one end sealed and the other folded over and tied to protect it from rain. I would also think that a gun sock, some have silicon to prevent rust, might be workable. $.02

The Greenman
05-14-2013, 19:10
I play guitar (no really!) and the ONLY way I would EVER pack a guitar (on an overnight, or to conquer Everest) was if I intended to meander off by myself somewhere and play alone. Playing "for yourself", and not as some self proclaimed wandering minstrel - is the ONLY acceptable reason for taking the gitbox along.

hikerboy57
05-14-2013, 19:24
ive found the best way for you to enjoy a guitar on the trail, is to enjoy someone elses if offered the chance.ive been playing since i was 8 yrs old, and as much as i love to play, and i miss it on the trail, i enjoy it that much more if given the opportunity to play should someone offer it up to me. it becomes more special. in my 6 weeks on the trail this spring, i had 3 opportunities and each one was very special(all 3 off trail, by the way).dont bring one. miss it. come back and love it even more.and you'll probably have a few opportunities to play while you're out there anyway.

SouthernPride
05-14-2013, 20:20
I plan on bringing my air guitar. at night I will sit around the shelter in my camo underwear wearing an armadillo hat and sing bluegrass to the sweet sounds of my air guitar. Hope everyone enjoys!!!!!

Siarl
11-20-2013, 22:48
I'm from those mountains and string music,ie... fiddle, guitar, dulcimer, mandolin music has been playing in those mountains for well over 500 years or more. I have a fiddle and I'm also contemplating bringing it along on my 2015 thru-hike and possibly competing in my hometown's the Annual Galax fiddler's convention in August. I say do what makes you happy and don't listen to the naysayers. Again, I haven't decided yet since the weight will be an issue along with the wet days and nights.

squeezebox
11-21-2013, 09:08
How about a Uke instead, maybe modified to 6 string. Extra coats of varnish inside and out. But like most folks said probably better left at home.
I'm not going to bring my accordion.

Slo-go'en
11-21-2013, 14:16
I wonder if Popnfrsh24 did carry his guitar and how far he got with it? Inquiring minds want to know...

Second Hand
11-21-2013, 14:33
http://www.joemoeat.blogspot.com Looks like he made it all the way, guitar in hand! Good for him.

Slo-go'en
11-21-2013, 14:41
http://www.joemoeat.blogspot.com Looks like he made it all the way, guitar in hand! Good for him.

Yep, I also found his blog and he did carry it the distance. One of the few to make it and with a guitar :)

scooterdogma
11-21-2013, 15:47
An excerp from my Trailjournal .... "We reach Beech Gap and call it a night. We are soon joined by The Bard and his hiking partner Buck. The Bard is a curly headed young man with a jaunty scarf loosely tied around his neck. I spy a Martin backpacking guitar strapped to his backpack. He has just returned from a three year stint with the Peace Core. His friend, Buck, is helping him re-discover America. They sing us to sleep with lovely folk songs as the moon rises over the dark silhouettes of the enfolding mountains. Pure Trail Magic."

Bard was a very good guitar player and their voices were perfect for mountan folk songs. He carried his guitar strapped on the back of his pack, neck up, wrapped in bubble wrap and 2 trash bags. It was one of the most magical nights on the trail!

takethisbread
11-29-2013, 05:59
I think thru hiking with a guitar is silly, and self indulgent. you gotta go 2000 miles, a short trip fine, a long trip like a thru no way. secondly, Most people don't want to hear all that racket at night. it's presumptuous to think others want to hear even good guitar playing while trying to rest after a 10-12 hr hike. the same goes for harp blowers, kazoos ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Siarl
11-29-2013, 09:57
It seems that different people have differing opinions about the subject of musical instruments on the trail. For some hikers, it's not a matter of the weight, they seem to be willing to perform the hike with the added weight and the music is something they enjoy on a spiritual level. Some hikers see it as a race and the trail is an object to be conquered. But isn't the saying, "Hike Your Own Hike" appropriate for the subject matter being discussed here? I think the question was put to those who did carry their instruments on the trail, and what did they do to keep it from being damaged by the elements? What was their experience in having to lug it over 2000 miles on their back?