PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Trip Report

Bearbait
06-29-2005, 00:51
Just finished my 5 day trip from the Smokies and I wish I could have stayed longer. It was great, but it started out a little shaky on Monday the 20th. Just as we got out of the truck at Elkmont it began to rain and then thunder and lightning. The rain never got heavy, but the trail became very muddy. Since Jakes Creek trail is a horse trail, we had numerious muddy sections all the way to Jacks Gap. Camp site 27 was awfull. There were no good flat ground to pitch a tent so we just had a snack and continued on. The elevation change was steady and not to bad with packs loaded down with 5 day supply of food. From Jakes Gap we hiked Miry Ridge trail which is partially a horse trail. It to was quite muddy. Soon we came to campsite 26. It was larger and better suited for tents. The water source on the East was very shallow and hard to get to. The area though was very beautiful with Fur trees and Hemlocks. Tuesday morning we saw a huge fresh bear track on the muddy trail about 500 ft from the campsite. I hope He didn't pay us a visit during the night. When we intersected Lynn Camp Prong the trail became just a hiking trail and walking became much easier all the way to the A.T. The hike to Silers Bald was not to bad. There were sever hills and valleys, but before long we were at the shelter. Silers was a bit crowded with 13 hikers that night. One guy was a through hiker from Turkey. The view from Silers Bald was awsome. We could see Mt. Leconte and Clingmans Dome very clear. Later that evening several deer visited the camp, they were very friendly. Wednesday morning was very cloudy and the views from the day before were gone. Although there were several opportunities along the way to Clingmans, the fog would not allow it. As we approached the Clingmans bypass trail, a black bear crossed the trail. He looked right at us and then bolted down the hill. Clingmans was very windy and cold. Our thermometer read 53 but the wind chill was at least 40. The hike from Clingmans to Mt. Collins was rough. Down hill most all the way and very rocky. There were bear warnings at the shelter but no bears Wednesday night. Thursday the trip down Sugarland mountain trail was nice. We passed several ridge runners clearing the trail. When we turned onto Rough Creek trail the first mile was straight down, then it planed off and the rest of the hike to campsite 24 was nice but warmer. I miss the temps of the high elevations. 24 is a huge campsite located by Little River. A good place to take a bath and clean some cloths. A mouse got into my sons pack and ate his sunflower seeds. I don't know how they do it, but they can get in a pack hanging on bear cables. On Friday we took it easy on the hike down Little River trail. Flat and easy all the way to the truck. It was a great trip with great weather after Monday. I can't wait to go again..........................

Uncle Wayne
06-29-2005, 01:22
The rain never got heavy, but the trail became very muddy. Since Jakes Creek trail is a horse trail, we had numerious muddy sections all the way to Jacks Gap.

Horse trail; I'll bet mud wasn't the only thing in the trail! Glad you had a good time. Good report.

The Solemates
06-29-2005, 08:41
yea the miry ridge trail is just that...miry.

anneandbenhike
06-29-2005, 13:38
So how do those mice get up onto the bear cable?!! Six of us were camping in the Smokies for four days at the beginning of June and the mice got into 2 packs and several silnynlon food bags, all up on the bear cable! Several holes were made in packs up there! Never saw a bear, however.

Footslogger
06-29-2005, 13:51
[QUOTE=anneandbenhike]So how do those mice get up onto the bear cable?!! QUOTE]
=================================
Years of practice and careful observation of hikers.

'Slogger

Rain Man
06-29-2005, 17:15
So how do those mice get up onto the bear cable?!!...

Well, yer first mistake might be thinking it was mice. I've seen a flying squirrel at at shelter near the food bags one night.

Rain:sunMan

anneandbenhike
06-30-2005, 10:13
Well, never thought of that, but I am sure you could be right!!! Thanks for the thought!!!