PDA

View Full Version : Why no section hiker section?

Lyte-w8-hyker
03-29-2013, 12:18
Why don't we have a section hiker sub-forum like the thru-hikers do. I want to make posts asking for advice on different sections but don't wanna clog up the general or straight forward section with posts that will only be useful to a minmal amount of forum members.

10-K
03-29-2013, 13:02
Go ahead and clog it up... We live for that. :)

moldy
03-29-2013, 13:53
They have way too many sections now. If want to get a bunch of answers use "General" even if it better fits another section. The division of sections on this web page is a failure.

Lyte-w8-hyker
03-29-2013, 14:10
thanks guys

MuddyWaters
03-29-2013, 14:25
I think all the existing sub-forums make it more difficult to see posts.
General is best, generally speaking.

BobTheBuilder
03-29-2013, 14:36
The overwhelming majority of hikers on the AT are section hikers, anyway. By my math, roughly 99.8% of people who walk on the trail in a year are section hikers.

10-K
03-29-2013, 14:38

That was pretty straightforward... :)

tiptoe
03-29-2013, 15:52
There are a lot of section hikers who post here (myself included). We aren't a separate species; we're just hiking the trail in bursts instead of all at once. Just go ahead and ask what you want to know. You'll get opinions from everyone. If you feel more comfortable among your own kind, visit the Appalachian Trail Section Hikers page on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/179997858744135/

Slo-go'en
03-29-2013, 16:18
About the only ones who pay attention to what forum sections something is posted in is the moderators :)

Catch-Up
03-30-2013, 14:09
We just finished hiking the section between Davenport Gap and Sam's Gap along the NC/TN border. Read about it here:
http://appalachiantrailsectionhiking.blogspot.com/2013/03/north-carolinatennessee-border.html

Cookerhiker
03-30-2013, 16:45

On the other hand, I think "General" is overused. Many threads in "General" would fit better in the more specialized forums.

Cookerhiker
03-30-2013, 16:46
The overwhelming majority of hikers on the AT are section hikers, anyway. By my math, roughly 99.8% of people who walk on the trail in a year are section hikers.

Right on! Truer words have never been spoken.

Grampie
03-30-2013, 18:12
Just post as long as it's about hiking.

MuddyWaters
03-30-2013, 18:34
If you ask a question in a specialized sub-forum, but no one sees it, did you really ask a question?

Cookerhiker
03-30-2013, 21:43
If you ask a question in a specialized sub-forum, but no one sees it, did you really ask a question?

Everything shows up in "Today's Posts" regardless of forum. The advantage of specialized forums is - or should be - when you want to search for something. If I want info. on meals & recipes or the XYZ Trail or down sleeping bags, I go to the Cooking & Foods, Other Trails, and Gear forums respectively.

A few months ago, a poster was looking for info. on the Northern Ruck and couldn't find it. I went to the "Get Togethers" forum and found it promptly. I posted the link for him but when I mentioned it was right where it should be in Get Togethers, he thought I was slamming him and reacted with sarcasm rather than gratitude. Actually, I was commending the Ruck's organizer for putting the thread in the logical forum but the guy searching didn't take it that way.