PDA

View Full Version : AT closed Loft Mtn to Rockfish Gap

Freighttrain
06-29-2005, 08:13
this is from the NPS daily morning report.........

Shenandoah National Park (VA)
Search Underway for Double Homicide Suspect

Yesterday morning, police investigated a shooting in Dooms, Virginia, a small community in Augusta County near the park. Two residents were found dead. Police identified a 48-year old relative of the victims as the suspect. His vehicle was later found abandoned along a road close to the park boundary. Police believe him to be on foot, dressed in camouflage, and armed with a high-powered rifle. The search area straddles the park boundary and includes both a mountainous section of the South District within the park and a largely wooded area of the county with residences outside the boundary. The suspect reportedly is familiar with this area from fishing and hunting. County roads near this section of the park have been closed. This section of the park is fairly remote, with no developed areas and few backcountry trails. However, since the Skyline Drive and the Appalachian Trail are not very far away, both have been closed from Loft Mountain to Rockfish Gap (roughly the southern quarter of the park). The incident is being handled by the Augusta County Sheriff's Department, the Virginia State Police, and the NPS. Rangers from the Blue Ridge Parkway are assisting. Special agents assigned to the park are involved as well. The park is an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction. The park is operating under ICS.
[Submitted by Clayton Jordan, Acting Northeast Regional Chief Ranger]

The Solemates
06-29-2005, 08:38
I doubt thats gonna stop the thru-hikers from going thru.

Lone Wolf
06-29-2005, 08:44
You can bet your azz it will.

kyhipo
06-29-2005, 09:15
i guess i would have go around it and i remember in 99 same area it seems they were looking for people we all got stopped and had to show id :dance ky

SGT Rock
06-29-2005, 09:21
Well seems as long as you are not dressed in camoflage and carrying a rifle you won't match the description anyway. But you might need to go in packing if there is a desperado on the loose! :datz

Youngblood
06-29-2005, 09:39
If you are thru-hiking, what are your options when they close the trail like that (assuming they are serious about the trail being CLOSED)? I know how so-called 'lazy, lying, cheating, recreational hikers' like me handle it... we just find another way that makes sense to us. I would assume that most white blaze purist would apply the reasonable and honest effort provision, use common sense and find an alternate route. But how do obsessive compulsive white blazing purist who believe that you must hike the entire trail where ENTIRE MEANS ENTIRE, or die trying, handle it... do you take the attitude that you are above the law and hike through with the conviction that it is your right, no matter what, to hike the white blazes?

I'm not really looking for answers or debate to the previous paragraph, I'm trying to make a point by putting it into perspective. I would like to think that if a section of the trail is closed, that all hikers would respect that and at least consider why it is closed. It is not always just your safety at stake.

Youngblood

jlb2012
06-29-2005, 09:43
even the most pure probably wouldn't mind an extra day or so in Waynesboro - I can't see the AT or Skyli8ne Drive staying closed all that long

Skyline
06-29-2005, 10:29
If you are thru-hiking, what are your options when they close the trail like that (assuming they are serious about the trail being CLOSED)? . . . But how do obsessive compulsive white blazing purist who believe that you must hike the entire trail where ENTIRE MEANS ENTIRE, or die trying, handle it... do you take the attitude that you are above the law and hike through with the conviction that it is your right, no matter what, to hike the white blazes? Youngblood

The ATC clearly states in writing that (paraphrasing) if a section of trail is closed due to an emergency that you can still qualify for your certificate, patch, published recognition by taking an alternative routing or skipping the section.

Typically, things that might cause this are forest fires, damage from severe storms, high water, dangerous lightning on ridgetops and balds, and situations like this where the Trail is closed for safety reasons. In some instances where occasional closures are predictable, blue-blazed alternatives are provided. In other situations, finding your own way around the obstruction is prudent--even if it means yellow blazing. ATC certainly expects no one to put their safety in jeopardy and will not withhold recognition that you completed the AT if you avoid trouble.

Skyline
06-29-2005, 10:34
Don't know how long this link will work, but here's a story from the Staunton (VA) daily paper:

http://www.newsleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050629/NEWS01/506290301/1002

Youngblood
06-29-2005, 10:54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngblood
"If you are thru-hiking, what are your options when they close the trail like that (assuming they are serious about the trail being CLOSED)? . . . But how do obsessive compulsive white blazing purist who believe that you must hike the entire trail where ENTIRE MEANS ENTIRE, or die trying, handle it... do you take the attitude that you are above the law and hike through with the conviction that it is your right, no matter what, to hike the white blazes? Youngblood"

The ATC clearly states in writing that (paraphrasing) if a section of trail is closed due to an emergency that you can still qualify for your certificate, patch, published recognition by taking an alternative routing or skipping the section.

Typically, things that might cause this are forest fires, damage from severe storms, high water, dangerous lightning on ridgetops and balds, and situations like this where the Trail is closed for safety reasons. In some instances where occasional closures are predictable, blue-blazed alternatives are provided. In other situations, finding your own way around the obstruction is prudent--even if it means yellow blazing. ATC certainly expects no one to put their safety in jeopardy and will not withhold recognition that you completed the AT if you avoid trouble.
Skyline,

I thought I covered that with "I would assume that most white blaze purist would apply the reasonable and honest effort provision, use common sense and find an alternate route." When you removed that portion of my statement and then went on to explain the same thing in more detail you altered what I said in a way that made it seem quite different from what I actually said. Just to be clear, here is my entire statement, as it is such that taking any one part of it by itself would be misleading:

"If you are thru-hiking, what are your options when they close the trail like that (assuming they are serious about the trail being CLOSED)? I know how so-called 'lazy, lying, cheating, recreational hikers' like me handle it... we just find another way that makes sense to us. I would assume that most white blaze purist would apply the reasonable and honest effort provision, use common sense and find an alternate route. But how do obsessive compulsive white blazing purist who believe that you must hike the entire trail where ENTIRE MEANS ENTIRE, or die trying, handle it... do you take the attitude that you are above the law and hike through with the conviction that it is your right, no matter what, to hike the white blazes?

I'm not really looking for answers or debate to the previous paragraph, I'm trying to make a point by putting it into perspective. I would like to think that if a section of the trail is closed, that all hikers would respect that and at least consider why it is closed. It is not always just your safety at stake."

Youngblood

hiker33
06-29-2005, 14:25
This is pretty bizarre. Yesterday the authorities in TN and NC were looking for a murder suspect in the Devils Fork Gap area north of Hot Springs. He was described a backwoods-type known to be familiar with the AT. The trail wasn't closed in the area but the ATC was telling hikers to stay alert.

What's up with this? Are all the dirtbags suddenly looking to emulate Eric Rudolph??????

dperry
06-29-2005, 17:15
Don't know how long this link will work, but here's a story from the Staunton (VA) daily paper:

http://www.newsleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050629/NEWS01/506290301/1002Thank the Lord that the wife and kids are OK, at least. You know, if you have to be violent like that, why can't you just do yourself in and save the rest of us the heartbreak? :datz

jlb2012
06-29-2005, 19:51
or at least I see no reason the AT or SD should be closed now - suspect is dead by self inflicted gunshot - link : Newsleader story (http://www.newsleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050629/NEWS01/50629001/1002)

neo
06-29-2005, 21:08
i hope they catch the sorry piece of crap soon,sad to to hear these people lost their life,:cool: neo

Moxie00
06-29-2005, 21:15
It was fun hiking through North Georgia and western North Carolina the first couple of years Eric Rudolph was on the loose, especially after someone pasted "Lone Wolf's" picture on his wanted posters.

Lone Wolf
06-29-2005, 22:07
That was Fannypack that posted that wanted poster. Funny stuff. Wonder if the FBI thought so?

BlackCloud
06-30-2005, 14:25
Thursday, June 30, 2005

INCIDENTS

<HR noShade SIZE=1>

Follow-up on Search for Homicide Suspect

The search for the man suspected of killing two people in a town outside of the park came to a conclusion around 5 a.m. yesterday on a road just outside of the park, when the man, found and confronted by state and county officers, committed suicide. The NPS was involved extensively in the search for the man. More than 20 rangers from Shenandoah and Blue Ridge were involved in the operation, including a tactical tracking team from the latter. Segments of the Appalachian Trail and Skyline Drive that were closed during the search have been reopened.
[Submitted by Bobby Fleming, South District Ranger]

rickb
06-30-2005, 15:25

They mention an alternate route. They don't mention skipping.

Cookerhiker
06-30-2005, 16:47
Thursday, June 30, 2005

INCIDENTS

<HR noShade SIZE=1>

Follow-up on Search for Homicide Suspect

The search for the man suspected of killing two people in a town outside of the park came to a conclusion around 5 a.m. yesterday on a road just outside of the park, when the man, found and confronted by state and county officers, committed suicide. The NPS was involved extensively in the search for the man. More than 20 rangers from Shenandoah and Blue Ridge were involved in the operation, including a tactical tracking team from the latter. Segments of the Appalachian Trail and Skyline Drive that were closed during the search have been reopened.
[Submitted by Bobby Fleming, South District Ranger]
Thanks for the news and this thread. The section I maintain is south of Swift Run Gap near the area closed. Until I perchanced on this thread yesterday, I was all set to drive out today (6 hours roundtrip) for some weedwacking, a trip that obviously had to be cancelled. Maybe tomorrow.