PDA

View Full Version : Thornton Gap to Ashby Gap

hayshaker170
03-29-2013, 14:27
My 12 yr old son and I are 3rd year section hikers. We plan to go NOBO from Thornton Gap to Sky Meadows State Park (just south of Ashby Gap). So we will mostly be in SNP. We have a week to do it, so not too strenuous. Any tips? Anything I should be sure not to miss? Can I hammock camp anywhere off the trail? Any advice or tips? Thanks in advance!

Studlintsean
03-29-2013, 16:18
That is a great section to do with a 12 year old. I really like Jim and Molly Denton and would plan on stating their if your mileage works out right. Tom Floyd is pretty cool but the water is a nice steep walk from the shelter and I have heard it can get pretty low (last October we had to dig to get a pocket to pump from). I don't have the map but I believe Ashby Gap is Rt 50 which is just south of Sky Meadows. You can park a car at Sky Meadows for a fee of $4/ day or just past (.2 or so) Ashby Gap off of Blue Mountain Road (check road name but it's the same road bears den hostel is on). I have parked cars at both with no issues. You could probably also line up a shuttle from Bears den. When are you planning on hiking? Possible that I could help with a ride depending when you go.

Studlintsean
03-29-2013, 16:19
Read that wrong. You are correct that Ashby Gap is just north of the state park.

hayshaker170
03-29-2013, 20:10
Are there any restrictions to hanging a hammock anywhere thru SNP? I was on the SNP website but did not see that mentioned.

johnnybgood
03-29-2013, 23:12
Are there any restrictions to hanging a hammock anywhere thru SNP? I was on the SNP website but did not see that mentioned.

The same regulations apply for tenters & hammockers alike. Set up camp off the trail 60 ft, 30 ft from streams, 150 ft from standing structures,quarter mile from campgrounds,waysides,paved roads.

hayshaker170
03-30-2013, 11:31
Awesome thanks!