PDA

View Full Version : Google maps suggesting bikers cut through the A.T. ?!?

Sarcasm the elf
03-29-2013, 20:39
Google maps has launched a new (beta) system that gives map directions for Bike travel, which is very cool and has the potential to be very useful.

I was playing around with this new feature, using it to plan a route for a ride this summer in Northwestern CT to MA, when I got a bit of a surprise while reading the directions. Part way through the directions, it tells me to "Walk" my bike for three miles on the A.T. Now I know that this is program that is labeled as a Beta version, but how the heck did they let this route suggestion into their map software?

Obviously someone who knew the A.T. existed and that bikes weren't allowed must have added the route and the "walk" disclaimer in to the software. Personally I think the "Walk your bike" disclaimer is about as worthless as the "drink responsibly" slogan on the side of a 30 pack of cheap beer, it clearly means; ride your bike, but don't blame us if you get caught.

I really hope they get this one taken out of their list of acceptable routes. I did try to use the provided option to report an unsuitable bike route, but the link was not working...

Lone Wolf
03-29-2013, 20:59
i don't see aproblem....

Kookork
03-29-2013, 20:59
Just a question : They say walk your bike, that means do not ride your bike?

is there any rule for carrying a bike ( not riding it) on hiking only trails?

the problem is that they first walk their bike but soon they start to ride it though.

Sarcasm the elf
03-29-2013, 21:26
i don't see aproblem....

Admittedly I don't think it's a huge problem, but I wonder how many different routes there are that suggest cutting through hiking trails on a bike.

Just a question : They say walk your bike, that means do not ride your bike?

is there any rule for carrying a bike ( not riding it) on hiking only trails?

the problem is that they first walk their bike but soon they start to ride it though.

In my opinion that disclaimer they added is worthless. Only an idiot would walk their bike down three miles of rideable trail just because a sign said "no bicycles". Honestly, if I met someone who rode down the trail because google had sent them that way and they didn't know about the bike ban until they were already alread committed to that route, I probably wouldn't be mad a them.

Mountain Mike
03-29-2013, 21:54
How about the link to the map & hopefully others can add their input.

To think everyone will walk their bike through is like thinking all hikers practice LNT.

Theosus
03-29-2013, 22:31
It also says that springer to neels gap is ten hours walking. I think that is quite optimistic....

Astro
03-29-2013, 23:00
It also says that springer to neels gap is ten hours walking. I think that is quite optimistic....

Maybe for Jennifer Pharr Davis, but not most of us.

Kookork
03-29-2013, 23:55
We have a trail that is partly common with a biking trail and there are numerous signs that says the propriety is always with hikers and not bikers but in reality I yet have to see one biker who give the right to a hiker. They are so fast riding their bike that we always give space to them. What the signs says is one thing but many times what people really do is totally different.

Swordpen
03-30-2013, 14:55
you will never get the bicycle riders to walk their bike. Contact that areas trail clubs, see it something can be done. Thats a shame, as a group, bicycle riders are the second rudest trail users I've ever met (ATVs are the worst), & always force people off the trail. They yell at the hikers/ walkers for just being there, even tho bicycle riders are supposed to yield to them.

leaftye
03-30-2013, 15:24
Giving up your right of way doesn't help with that.

ChuckBrown
03-30-2013, 15:46
I did not know you could not bring a bicycle on the AT

Slo-go'en
03-30-2013, 16:57
I did not know you could not bring a bicycle on the AT

The AT is restricted to foot travel only - unless it happens to be a road walk, but those are getting rare. The bike route the OP is talking about is probably where the trail follows along the Hoosatonic river on a wide gravel path, which no self respecting bike rider would do on foot...

max patch
03-30-2013, 18:28
Maybe for Jennifer Pharr Davis, but not most of us.

Ward Leonard hiked it in one day.

BillyGr
03-30-2013, 21:48
Looks like they might have fixed it - using your link from the top of the photo, it gives 3 alternatives, none of which seem to use the AT. But if you use the link and clink the person figure (which is walking directions) one of the options still looks like what you posted using the AT (which is of course perferctly fine).

Perhaps they didn't realize the AT wasn't a bike trail (since there are multi use trails in Mt. Washington State Forest right nearby)?

Not that biking (or carrying one) in that area would have been easy, anyhow - isn't that the Lions Head and/or Bear Mtn section?

MuddyWaters
03-30-2013, 22:07
"Bicycles and mountain bikes are not permitted on the Trail or the Trail corridor".

The regulation makes no differentiation between being ridden, walked, or carried. They are not permitted.

Dogwood
03-30-2013, 22:50
"Bicycles and mountain bikes are not permitted on the Trail or the Trail corridor".

The regulation makes no differentiation between being ridden, walked, or carried. They are not permitted.

That's what I get too. And, if a biker knows enough to take a route on the AT for 3 miles they would know enough to not be riding it so I wouldn't t let them give me that BS "I didn't know I couldn't ride a bike here or didn't know I was on the AT" story. Tell it to the cops or ranger when they arrive after I call them. If for some reason cyclists are also allowed on the AT like on the few miles of the old canal road in Maryland that MAY BE a different story. For Google telling cyclists that it's OK to walk a bike on the AT for 3 miles it's POTENTIALLY disrespectful of hikers and the AT. Google better know something I'm not aware of. And, by no means do I know all the laws or the current interpretations of the law pertaining to the AT.

Rain Man
03-31-2013, 10:19
i don't see aproblem....

Might one see a problem with beer in The Place?

Rain Man

Lone Wolf
03-31-2013, 10:59
peaches. walnuts