PDA

View Full Version : Triple Crown / Planning Strategies

Black Wolf
03-30-2013, 14:32
Just looking for input in planning an End to End / Back to Back Triple Crown in a calendar year. Would like to hear ideas on start points . (ex. SOBO the AT start in ?? .. NOBO the CDT start in ?? .. etc. etc. I'm looking at 90-100 days for each trail.. Again .. just looking for ideas in planning .. Thanks ..

Hot Flash
03-30-2013, 14:38
Just looking for input in planning an End to End / Back to Back Triple Crown in a calendar year. Would like to hear ideas on start points . (ex. SOBO the AT start in ?? .. NOBO the CDT start in ?? .. etc. etc. I'm looking at 90-100 days for each trail.. Again .. just looking for ideas in planning .. Thanks ..

How about this?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0898867606/qid=1033077190/sr=1-10

Malto
03-30-2013, 16:21
Look in the trail running/ speed hiking sub forum. There are several calander year triple crown threads. Two from last year. Coyote Rob, who didn't get too far and a couple of threads on Swami who did complete the triple crown last year. I would reco going to his site, google hikinglife and you'll find it. There are also a couple of other threads on order and start dates. I have posted my three cents on those threads. Would suggest reading through those and come back with specific questions.

i suggest you put a bit of background on your experience. If you have never done long distance hiking you will likely get the same skepticism that many others have in the past. The coyote rob thread will give you the reason for the skepticism.

Slo-go'en
03-30-2013, 16:39
I kinda think if you have to ask that question, your already in trouble.

But I would guess PCT NOBO, CDT SOBO then AT SOBO.

fiddlehead
03-30-2013, 21:23

+1
But you can't start too early as the section from Kennedy Meadows all the way to Carson Pass (about 500 miles) won't have roads opened until about April or May (depending on snow levels of course)
So, even if you hike out for resupply, you'd still have to carry a LOT!

I believe that's how Squeaky did it.
Flyin Brian did: AT NOBO (partially), NM of CDT NOBO, PCT NOBO, then finished the CDT SOBO, then finished the AT NOBO. I believe.

Black Wolf
03-30-2013, 21:25
How about this?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0898867606/qid=1033077190/sr=1-10

Who woulda' thunk ?? The only thing that's missing is " for dummy's" ...

Thanks for the link

Look in the trail running/ speed hiking sub forum. There are several calander year triple crown threads. Two from last year. Coyote Rob, who didn't get too far and a couple of threads on Swami who did complete the triple crown last year. I would reco going to his site, google hikinglife and you'll find it. There are also a couple of other threads on order and start dates. I have posted my three cents on those threads. Would suggest reading through those and come back with specific questions.

i suggest you put a bit of background on your experience. If you have never done long distance hiking you will likely get the same skepticism that many others have in the past. The coyote rob thread will give you the reason for the skepticism.

I watched the Andrew Skurka video and figured I could do that .. I used to carry my sister's books as well as mine to school .. my base weight is 40-45 lbs so I know I'll have everything with me I might need ... no different then getting up and going to work everyday ..

I have Swami's site book marked .. his completion was a part of a bigger picture .. 3C was a bonus .. his planning was in part of an 18month hike ..

I see you're guessing at correct grammar as well ... your guess was wrong ..

Malto
03-30-2013, 21:55
Who woulda' thunk ?? The only thing that's missing is " for dummy's" ...

Thanks for the link

I watched the Andrew Skurka video and figured I could do that .. I used to carry my sister's books as well as mine to school .. my base weight is 40-45 lbs so I know I'll have everything with me I might need ... no different then getting up and going to work everyday ..

I have Swami's site book marked .. his completion was a part of a bigger picture .. 3C was a bonus .. his planning was in part of an 18month hike ..

I see you're guessing at correct grammar as well ... your guess was wrong ..

given you have watched Skurkas video and since it sounds like you the gear to handle anything, you are well on your way. Good luck in your prep. What year will you start?

Slo-go'en
03-30-2013, 21:57

Well okay then, with that level of experiance and such a well stocked pack, you should have no trouble at all doing 30-40 mile days every day for a year. Best of luck to you.

Dogwood
03-30-2013, 23:37
I kinda think if you have to ask that question, your already in trouble.....

+2 But who am I to speak such blasphemy. I took 6 yrs to complete a Triple Crown. Then again, on the OFF yrs when not thru-hiking the AT, PCT, and CDT I was thru hiking other SHORT trails like the LT, HDT, CT, SHR, JMT, JMT, JMT, etc and doing short stuff(8-24 days at a time ) in 32 different National Parks and, who knows how many, Wilderness and National Forest areas.

Well okay then, with that level of experiance and such a well stocked pack, you should have no trouble at all doing 30-40 mile days every day for a year. Best of luck to you.

+1 Ditto. Should be a piece o cake. Just keep a rollin. Hope you love LONG distance backpacking especially so much of it in such a short period of time. BTW, it's BACK to BACK to BACK not Back to Back. You forgot one of these teeny tiny Backs.

Kookork
03-31-2013, 00:22
I have watched Andrew Skurka video ( actually I am subscribed to his channel) and my backpack can be 40 pounds( if I want) every thing included. So I can do a triple crown back to back to front. Oh wait, I just did it.

Dogwood
03-31-2013, 00:37
Palease tell me your only messin. Skurka doesn't have a channel? Does he? The Skurka Channel? I like the guy immensely(does so much good for backpacking and seems like an all around solid individual) but IMO, so many wannabe like Skurka types misinterpret some of what he does and how he has earned the ability to accomplish what he does and what he relates. Kinda like so many who think they are Bear Grillis and Les Stroud Survivalist types.

Kookork
03-31-2013, 00:49
Palease tell me your only messin. Skurka doesn't have a channel? Does he? The Skurka Channel? I like the guy immensely(does so much good for backpacking and seems like an all around solid individual) but IMO, so many wannabe like Skurka types misinterpret some of what he does and how he has earned the ability to accomplish what he does and what he relates. Kinda like so many who think they are Bear Grillis and Les Stroud Survivalist types.

He has a YouTube channel. He is a really down to earth, accomplished hiker. By the way, I didn't know you are a Triple Crowner . Much Respect Sir.

Black Wolf
04-01-2013, 15:25
+1
But you can't start too early as the section from Kennedy Meadows all the way to Carson Pass (about 500 miles) won't have roads opened until about April or May (depending on snow levels of course)
So, even if you hike out for resupply, you'd still have to carry a LOT!

Thanks .. this is the input I'm seeking

I believe that's how Squeaky did it.
Flyin Brian did: AT NOBO (partially), NM of CDT NOBO, PCT NOBO, then finished the CDT SOBO, then finished the AT NOBO. I believe.

+2 But who am I to speak such blasphemy. I took 6 yrs to complete a Triple Crown. Then again, on the OFF yrs when not thru-hiking the AT, PCT, and CDT I was thru hiking other SHORT trails like the LT, HDT, CT, SHR, JMT, JMT, JMT, etc and doing short stuff(8-24 days at a time ) in 32 different National Parks and, who knows how many, Wilderness and National Forest areas.

+1 Ditto. Should be a piece o cake. Just keep a rollin. Hope you love LONG distance backpacking especially so much of it in such a short period of time. BTW, it's BACK to BACK to BACK not Back to Back. You forgot one of these teeny tiny Backs.

Thanks for the open mind .. congrats on the 3C ...

**UPDATE**

Sorry for the vagueness in my OP .. I see that it has brought on the responses I'm NOT seeking ( sans the few noted ) ... I am an accomplished hiker .. I don't think all my gear combined totals 40-50 lbs .. I managed over 1200 miles last year ( while employed ) , I'm the first to thru the OHT utilizing a hammock { I then hiked an addition 60 off trail }, former EPA Strike Force member ( this entailed remote treks, off trail for extended stays searching for environmental hazards. ) Specialized Military training ..

I know I'll encounter weather .. no way to avoid that .. the input I AM seeking mostly pertains to the CDT & PCT .. such as .. the black flies are horrible in ___ on the __ during __, or .. if you're in such and such during ___ , then you'll what to see this...do this or that. As well as ideas to the direction and order .. PLEASE tell me why you suggest such .. ( there are several combinations, and I'm seeking input to enhance the hike ) I can run scenarios through my head and on paper all days...for days .. but I would appreciate hearing others from this vast pool of knowledge.

I am looking for input from those that have hiked these trails for ideas to incorporate into MY planning ..

SOO, if you're going to reply .. PLEASE tell me why you made such an suggestion ( if it warrants such ) .. if you're going to speculate ..., again, PLEASE .. offer an explanation .. if you're going to guess .. PLEASE keep those to yourself !!

jj2044
04-01-2013, 15:41
you should talk to Dakota Joe.

royalusa
04-01-2013, 15:43
If you have not seen this thread on Triple Crown Planning Strategies, I think it may provide some of the info you are looking for. At least it is a start.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?92524-Triple-crown-hike-starting-date

Black Wolf
04-01-2013, 15:49
you should talk to Dakota Joe.

Thanks .. I have him on FB ..

Mountain Mike
04-01-2013, 15:55
I would look into breaking it up into several LASH hikes to combine all three. Both PCT & CDT have snow pack problems. It's not so much walking o the snow as it is the fording icy cold streams from the snow melt on PCT. It all depends on snowfall over the winter. On my thru I & most of the people on that trail skipped around the Sierra due to this. A few made it back at the end of the season, others like me did it another year. I know of six people that pushed through, one of which I talked to afterwards. He came close to losing his life on a ford.

When I started thinking about doing CDT I sought the advise of a double triple crowner I know. He did both his CDT hikes in sections to hit the best of season in each part. My point is continuity shouldn't be your main goal if you want to do all three in one year. Start AT as early as you feel comfortable. Hike until say may. Then PCT nobo avoiding worst of snow in sierras. Skip over to CDT sobo down into NM. Back to AT Sobo from Katahdin to meet up where you left off & then finish up the desert of NM.

I would recomend Jenifer Hanson's book "Hiking the Continental Divide Trail" it describes her bouncing around to hit optimum weather & " A Gang of One" by Lief Carlsen about his disjointed PCT hike.

Venchka
04-01-2013, 18:15
^^^What Mountain Mike said. Snow pack & stream crossings on BOTH of the western trails will hamper/hinder/dictate your time and location to approach both. Like maybe not until July on the northern sections.
Nothing you do in Florida will prepare you for the altitude you will encounter out West. The good news is that after a month or so up high you'll be just fine. "Carry high. Sleep low."
Insects? I've never been bothered by insects in the Rockies in September & October. My guess: The A.T. will be the insect problem. And the heat and humidity problem in July & August.
If you are willing to carry snowshoes, you could start the AT NOBO at Mile 0 on January 1. In a mild year, you might not need snowshoes. On the other hand, Christmas Day, 2009, brought rain on top of 1'-2' of snow above 4,000' north of Asheville, NC. The resulting ice crust was like concrete.
Good luck!

Wayne