PDA

View Full Version : Blister Prevention

Kerosene
09-05-2002, 14:30
My "index" toes tend to overlap with their neighbor toes, resulting in frequent blisters on or around the index toes. I found a gel-filled toe cap at my local drugstore that I put over my index toe that eliminated blisters for me. There are foam ones also, but they take up more volume and don't last as long. The gel-filled cap was stretchy and comfy, although expensive at $5/cap. My feet perspire a lot (actually they sweat like a pig), but I'd estimate that these caps would last 2-4 weeks before needing replacement.

dallan
09-23-2002, 06:19
hi, where do you put the plastic goo at?? :)
on the bottom of the foot on the 2nd toe itself? :D

Kerosene
09-23-2002, 18:13
The toe cap is just that: a piece of bandage-like material that you fit over the top of your toe, just like a tight-fitting skullcap. The gel-filled toecaps are made out of a cushiony bandage-like material that fits very tightly.

On a hot day I can sometimes feel a blister forming between the balls of my foot. I've found that the Band-Aid brand blister pads that you warm up in your hands before applying do a particularly good job of adhering to sweat-prone feet for up to a week, plus the gel-filled pad distributes the pressure.

walkabout
02-03-2003, 23:08
what about the heel?

Hikerhead
02-03-2003, 23:39
The Band-Aid that Kerosene is refering to will also have the name Compeed on the box. I believe the box is a silver color.

They come in different sizes. I'm almost sure they have a size large enough to cover your heel.

If applied correctly, they will stay on a long long time.

walkabout
02-03-2003, 23:43
what about mole skin? i've heard that works well for blisters too

Hikerhead
02-03-2003, 23:49
I have never tried Moleskin so I can't comment on it.

My advice would be to try both out and see what works for you.

walkerat99
02-04-2003, 07:39
Moleskin will work for awhile but will not last long with the sweaty feet. It was about the best product out there until they came out with the Compeed/Bandaid stuff Kerosene is talking about. It is by far the best product I have found on the market. It is almost like second skin, if you have ever used that product, however this is much thicker and last just as long. I will use moleskin as a temperary quick fix for an hour or two if I am in a hurry, and the my feet are damp. Also I have used a lot of duct tape for a temperary fix, it will also last for awhile but nothing is as good as the Bandaide blister covering.

Just my 2 cents....

Ed

Rolo
05-25-2020, 16:11
This thread is OOOOOOOOOOOOOld but wanted to bump. I asked this in straight forward but anybody ever tried polyester sock/toe separater liners or HikeGoo? Anybody vouch for either of these preventative measures? Anyone combined the two to form like Voltron to blisterproof your trip?

ChrisMek
05-26-2020, 11:06
This thread is OOOOOOOOOOOOOld but wanted to bump. I asked this in straight forward but anybody ever tried polyester sock/toe separater liners or HikeGoo? Anybody vouch for either of these preventative measures? Anyone combined the two to form like Voltron to blisterproof your trip?

I can't comment on toe separators. I had blister trouble when I first began long distance hiking. The first thing I did was get better fitting shoes. The shoes I had were too small and causing me trouble. Then I started using sock liners. I wear liners under my Darn Toughs. If I start to feel a hot spot, I put Leukotape on it. I will never hike without a roll of Leukotape. I will even put some on spots that I often have trouble with before hiking as a preventative. Its better than any Duct Tape that I've used.

Not really answering your question about HikeGoo or the toe separators but I though I would share my experience with blisters and prevention.

Traveler
05-26-2020, 14:50
A couple of thoughts. Without knowing if you are prone to blisters or if so, do they disappear after several weeks/months of hiking in the same gear, it's difficult to say what may or may not work.

When I start getting blisters, it is usually my footgear telling me they have reached the end of their service life. Fundamentally, poor fitting footwear is generally the culprit with blister development. Footwear with narrow toe boxes will exacerbate blisters if one has toes that are prone to blistering from side contact with other toes. A wider toe box will help reduce this crowding. Lacing patterns are also a useful tool if the shoe is moving and causing friction blisters as you walk.

My first suggestion if blisters are a constant issue, see a podiatrist who can help diagnose what the causes and contributory elements are for the condition. It could be as simple as the footgear is old, or as complex as the use of different sock fabrics/thickness combined with lacing techniques has to be addressed. However, there are some fairly easy things to try first.

Colin Fletcher used to talk about using rubbing alcohol on his feet to toughen them up, which works for a great many people.
Vaseline around the toes may help for a while, though my experience is Vaseline in summer heat is it tends to dissipate (unlike winter use)
Body Glide, designed for chafing and blistering may be worth a try.
Changing one's stride when hiking can trigger a lot of different problems and will sometimes trigger blisters.
If the idea that socks with toes would help, try them. The worst that can happen is you have a spare set of toed socks hanging around.

Good luck!

mississippi_dan
05-26-2020, 21:42
I use athletic tape to cover friction spots to prevent blisters. It is thin enough to wrap adjacent toes without crowding and causing more problems. It peels off without leaving gummy residue.

Nanatuk
05-31-2020, 12:24
X2 on Luekotape. Best tape I've ever used. I used to have trouble with blisters on my little toe. Now I wrap those toes and apply Luekotape to hot spots when they occur. Luekotape stays on for at least a week through wet feet, stream crossings, just about anything. The only downside is the adhesive sometimes bleeds through to my socks which gives new meaning to peeling your socks off.

HankIV
05-31-2020, 15:40
Ininji toe socks for me