PDA

View Full Version : Blister Prevention

Kerosene
09-05-2002, 14:30
My "index" toes tend to overlap with their neighbor toes, resulting in frequent blisters on or around the index toes. I found a gel-filled toe cap at my local drugstore that I put over my index toe that eliminated blisters for me. There are foam ones also, but they take up more volume and don't last as long. The gel-filled cap was stretchy and comfy, although expensive at $5/cap. My feet perspire a lot (actually they sweat like a pig), but I'd estimate that these caps would last 2-4 weeks before needing replacement.

dallan
09-23-2002, 06:19
hi, where do you put the plastic goo at?? :)
on the bottom of the foot on the 2nd toe itself? :D

Kerosene
09-23-2002, 18:13
The toe cap is just that: a piece of bandage-like material that you fit over the top of your toe, just like a tight-fitting skullcap. The gel-filled toecaps are made out of a cushiony bandage-like material that fits very tightly.

On a hot day I can sometimes feel a blister forming between the balls of my foot. I've found that the Band-Aid brand blister pads that you warm up in your hands before applying do a particularly good job of adhering to sweat-prone feet for up to a week, plus the gel-filled pad distributes the pressure.

walkabout
02-03-2003, 23:08
what about the heel?

Hikerhead
02-03-2003, 23:39
The Band-Aid that Kerosene is refering to will also have the name Compeed on the box. I believe the box is a silver color.

They come in different sizes. I'm almost sure they have a size large enough to cover your heel.

If applied correctly, they will stay on a long long time.

walkabout
02-03-2003, 23:43
what about mole skin? i've heard that works well for blisters too

Hikerhead
02-03-2003, 23:49
I have never tried Moleskin so I can't comment on it.

My advice would be to try both out and see what works for you.

walkerat99
02-04-2003, 07:39
Moleskin will work for awhile but will not last long with the sweaty feet. It was about the best product out there until they came out with the Compeed/Bandaid stuff Kerosene is talking about. It is by far the best product I have found on the market. It is almost like second skin, if you have ever used that product, however this is much thicker and last just as long. I will use moleskin as a temperary quick fix for an hour or two if I am in a hurry, and the my feet are damp. Also I have used a lot of duct tape for a temperary fix, it will also last for awhile but nothing is as good as the Bandaide blister covering.

Just my 2 cents....

Ed