PDA

View Full Version : Nutritious Snack Considerations

goedde2
03-30-2013, 15:12
A snack consideration you might think about when hiking and refueling at the same time before you stop for a real meal might be cereal, packed in cup sized portions in a zip lock baggy. It's light, won't melt, and some high in carbs like Grape Nuts, give you a bit of an energy boost. My favorite is chocolate Cheerios, and/or Kellogs puffed oats. Just sayin'. 208202082120822

Odd Man Out
03-30-2013, 16:36
I'm partial to these.

http://www.planters.com/varieties/nutnutritionbars.aspx
http://www.quakeroats.com/products/cold-cereals/oatmeal-squares/cinnamon.aspx

Grampie
03-30-2013, 18:14
It's good but takes up a lot of volumn in your pack.

Rocket Jones
03-30-2013, 18:51
Gorp + honey nut cheerios makes me happy.

max patch
03-30-2013, 18:59
I don't think cereal which is refined carbs and sugar can be described as "healthy". Tasty perhaps, but not healthy. I think nuts and dried fruits would be preferable. Throw in some M&Ms if you want.

Coosa
03-30-2013, 19:20
Carbs before an Uphill trek can help you get that Kick you may need. [Snickers is good]

And complex carbs and protein after you get down the hill for recovery.

Malto
03-30-2013, 19:53
I wouldn't call it nutritious but it would be effective and yummy.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-30-2013, 19:58
General Mills also puts out a cereal w/milk bar....HN Cheerios and Cinn Toast Crunch...basic breakfast cereal & milk nutrition in a convenient form. Snacktime loves them!

Cookerhiker
03-30-2013, 21:35
Mixed salted nuts and dried fruits (include banana chips) are the best.

BirdBrain
03-30-2013, 21:43
Macadamia nuts, Brazil nuts and M&M's. Caloric density for me.

Dogwood
03-30-2013, 22:16
I don't think cereal which is refined carbs and sugar can be described as "healthy". Tasty perhaps, but not healthy. I think nuts and dried fruits would be preferable....

+1 Ditto to that.

Dogwood
03-30-2013, 22:17
Macadamia nuts, Brazil nuts and M&M's. Caloric density for me.

+1 Ditto. That's more nutritious

goedde2
03-31-2013, 12:27
+1 Ditto to that. I guess I misread the notation on the big red heart on the box which said, "May reduce the risk of heart disease". My mistake. It's only a "consideration", just like all the other wonderful considerations mentioned, that are also really good choices. Never understood the attraction to Pop Tarts though. Love the nuts and M n M's. A couple pinches of jerky seem to help sometimes.

Dogwood
03-31-2013, 14:26
I guess I misread the notation on the big red heart on the box which said, "May reduce the risk of heart disease".

You didn't misread it you just read and focused on what the marketing people wanted you to read and focus on. This is going to be met with some hostility but it's the same as the makers and marketing dept's of Snickers want us to focus on the possible benefits of cocoa or raw cocoa beans and Taurine or some hetahfood stores use buzz words like "Natural" or "Superfood" to push our health concerned buttons. Give you some more. made of SPACE AGED materials, designed for astronauts, and homestyle. How about these WAY WAY overuse marketing terms in the hiking gear markets; HIGHLY BREATABLE, Light wt, UL, etc

Rasty
03-31-2013, 14:28
I guess I misread the notation on the big red heart on the box which said, "May reduce the risk of heart disease".

You didn't misread it you just read and focused on what the marketing people wanted you to read and focus on. This is going to be met with some hostility but it's the same as the makers and marketing dept's of Snickers want us to focus on the possible benefits of cocoa or raw cocoa beans and Taurine or some hetahfood stores use buzz words like "Natural" or "Superfood" to push our health concerned buttons. Give you some more. made of SPACE AGED materials, designed for astronauts, and homestyle. How about these WAY WAY overuse marketing terms in the hiking gear markets; HIGHLY BREATABLE, Light wt, UL, etc

This years marketing word for food is "Protein"

goedde2
04-01-2013, 12:39
This years marketing word for food is "Protein"
And once again, off topic, and taken out of context. Then the inevitable "cyber war" with the resident "cyber bully", experts that offer up meaningless dribble, perhaps intent on just adding another number to the post count. Using certain cereal products as a snack on a hike was only a SUGGESTION, one might CONSIDER. All of a sudden the word "nutritious", also taken out of context, is the focus, and the entire original thread disintegrates into a kaleidoscope of comments that might well have been more accurately posted as a new thread or new opinion, not as a criticism or registered as a personal attack. If you think the words, "heart healthy" labeled on ANY product is only a propaganda stunt, or gimmick, designed as a marketing tool for increased sales, you haven't thought much about how it was authorized to be put there in the first place.

That being said, go ahead, reach for that block of lard to deep fry your French fries, get that Mega Mac with half 1400 calories coming from fat, loaded with cholesterol and carbohydrates, and make sure you include that "value meal" soda typically loaded with 10 teaspoons of sugar, and of course make sure you take advantage of the free refills 2-3 times and take another with you for the ride home. If you prefer an alternative, grab that processed meat product like a hot dog or baloney, and don't forget the processed cheese product. For dessert you might top things off with a Krispi Kreme doughnut or a handful of potato chips fried in hydrogenated oil. Just a guess, but I don't think you will see any of these choices labeled, "May reduce the risk of heart disease". Diabetes might be inevitable as well.

So, eat whatever you want. Ignore the "heart healthy" labels. Avoid anything considered "nutritious".

Malto
04-01-2013, 13:45
That being said, go ahead, reach for that block of lard to deep fry your French fries, get that Mega Mac with half 1400 calories coming from fat, loaded with cholesterol and carbohydrates, and make sure you include that "value meal" soda typically loaded with 10 teaspoons of sugar, and of course make sure you take advantage of the free refills 2-3 times and take another with you for the ride home.

hey buddy, you're all wrong.... I drink diet coke with my mega Mac. :)

goedde2
04-01-2013, 15:21
hey buddy, you're all wrong.... I drink diet coke with my mega Mac. :) Thank you. You just proved my point. Cyber bully, personal attack, has no idea what a posted thread is all about, and most of all, you are NOT MY BUDDY. What you actually are is misinformed, careless with your food choices, and ignorant of the consequences of poor judgement. Albeit, your response was probably intended to be humorous, and I did in fact get a chuckle out of it, but seriously, do your homework, for your sake. Happy Hiking. Hope to see you out there in a few weeks.

Diet soda is the constant companion of dieters everywhere, who feel that they're getting a bargain by getting flavor and hydration, all for zero calories. While diet soda may be free of calories, it's not free of health side effects. Let's look at a few of the risks associated with dietsoda.
1. Kidney DamageA 2009 Nurses' Health Study of 3,256 women found a 30% drop in level of kidney function for participants who drank 2 or more servings of diet pop daily. This means that those who drank at least 2 cans, bottles or glasses of diet drinks daily had 30% less kidney blood filtering ability than those who drank regular sodas or other drinks. The kidney function decline was noted even when consideration was made of other factors which may have affected participants, such as high blood pressure or diabetes.
Why does diet soda harm the kidneys? Evidence is still coming in, but it's thought that the sweeteners used in diet soda may scar kidney tissue over time.
2. Weight GainPerhaps surprising, but true: studies have tied diet soda consumption to an increased risk of obesity. In fact, a 2005 University of Texas Health Science Center study found a 57.1% risk of obesity for those drinking more than two daily servings of diet pop.
How could a zero-calorie drink raise your risk of obesity? Researchers have a few theories. Some people may feel that drinking diet soda gives them a "free pass" to eat more foods that may not be so low in calories, thereby leading to weight gain. Another theory posits that the sweet taste of diet pop alerts our digestive system that high-calorie foods are coming. When they don't, our bodies are confused and our appetite increases in anticipation of the food it's expecting.
3. Tooth Enamel DamageSoda is hard on tooth enamel, with the sugar and acid being the most problematic ingredients. Diet soda eliminates the sugar, but not the acid content of pop. Most of us are familiar enough with acid that we can imagine its impact on our tooth enamel, which is the main barrier our teeth have against decay.
Phosphoric acid is found in many diet sodas, and its purpose is to promote carbonation. But it also erodes tooth enamel. Check your favorite diet drink to see whether it contains phosphoric acid; generally, darker colas are more likely to contain it than lighter diet drinks.
Citric acid is another ingredient added to many diet sodas in order to preserve carbonation. Like phosphoric acid, it eats away at your tooth enamel.
If you can't give up your diet soda habit, try sipping it through a straw in order to reduce its contact with your teeth.
4. Bone LossDrinking diet soda can also lead to bone loss. This is because the phosphoric acid in the soda causes calcium in your bloodstream to be excreted more quickly than normal through urine. Your bones then give up some of their calcium in order to keep the bloodstream calcium level constant.

Rocket Jones
04-01-2013, 18:09
Lighten up, Francis. ;)

goedde2
04-01-2013, 19:06
Lighten up, Francis. ;) Sorry, thought I had. Didn't mean to come off as harsh, or intimidating, just trying to make a point. By the way, my name is not Francis. It's John, just like the toilet. I get crap from everyone. If you think you've had a rough time of it, try going through life being named after a toilet.

Happy Hiking. Hope to see you out there in a few weeks.

rocketsocks
04-01-2013, 19:12
Sorry, thought I had. Didn't mean to come off as harsh, or intimidating, just trying to make a point. By the way, my name is not Francis. It's John, just like the toilet. I get crap from everyone. If you think you've had a rough time of it, try going through life being named after a toilet.

Maybe you need to add some bran to your diet ;) fortified of coarse. I like grape nuts and water for a snack. Have a great hike John.:)

goedde2
04-01-2013, 19:13
Sorry, thought I had. Didn't mean to come off as harsh, or intimidating, just trying to make a point. By the way, my name is not Francis. It's John, just like the toilet. I get crap from everyone. If you think you've had a rough time of it, try going through life being named after a toilet.

Forgot to add, before someone else inevitably will suggest it. Yes, I do know I should be used to it by now. Again, my apologies.

Rocket Jones
04-01-2013, 19:17
That was a quote from the movie Stripes. :) Hope you enjoy your hikes, John.

rocketsocks
04-01-2013, 19:19
Forgot to add, before someone else inevitably will suggest it. Yes, I do know I should be used to it by now. Again, my apologies.Every body wigs every now and a again, it's all good.

goedde2
04-01-2013, 19:27
Maybe you need to add some bran to your diet ;) fortified of coarse. I like grape nuts and water for a snack. Have a great hike John.:) Thanks One Sock, but I think I'm good, because everything I eat turns to s**t, fortified or not, no problems. It's all good. Leaving in about a week. Hope to get through the Smokies with better and dryer weather than what's been happening lately. Already got my Thru-Hiker Permit. Anticipated arrival date at Fontana Dam is 4/10, good for 38 days after that date.

goedde2
04-01-2013, 19:33
That was a quote from the movie Stripes. :) Hope you enjoy your hikes, John.
Loved that movie, Bill Murry, right? Thanks for your support, as well as One Sock. Much appreciated.

max patch
04-01-2013, 20:41
Hope to get through the Smokies with better and dryer weather than what's been happening lately. Already got my Thru-Hiker Permit. Anticipated arrival date at Fontana Dam is 4/10, good for 38 days after that date.

Permit is good for up 38 days from the date you print it, but 8 days from the date you enter the park.

goedde2
04-02-2013, 00:57
Permit is good for up 38 days from the date you print it, but 8 days from the date you enter the park.Sorry for the misprint. You are exactly correct. Thanks for the clarification. Must have been one of those "senior moments" I've been hearing so much about. Apparently they actually do happen.

Dogwood
04-02-2013, 02:52
Must have had rainy weather in Bradenton yesterday? I'm laughing because I get my period around this time of the month too. I didn't notice any faces in your posts. I just found out how to use the little face(?) feature. It's fun. Try it. Might make you happy. ;):-?:p:(;):):p:(:p:eek::sun:D.

goedde2
04-02-2013, 12:56
Must have had rainy weather in Bradenton yesterday? I'm laughing because I get my period around this time of the month too. I didn't notice any faces in your posts. I just found out how to use the little face(?) feature. It's fun. Try it. Might make you happy. ;):-?:p:(;):):p:(:p:eek::sun:D.

Actually, I'm ecstatic,:banana, because I'm on the way to get my AT "buzz cut". Then pick up a few meds, get a rental for the drive to Hartsfield, hop on the Marta to North Springs, and hook up with my shuttle to the trailhead. By the way, I haven't seen any "images" posted by you on your avatar.
Since you seem to be on a roll, go for that new learning experience and get a few out here. :sun

Keep Smilin' 20899 Happy Hiking.

HikerMom58
04-02-2013, 13:00
Actually, I'm ecstatic,:banana, because I'm on the way to get my AT "buzz cut". Then pick up a few meds, get a rental for the drive to Hartsfield, hop on the Marta to North Springs, and hook up with my shuttle to the trailhead. By the way, I haven't seen any "images" posted by you on your avatar.
Since you seem to be on a roll, go for that new learning experience and get a few out here. :sun

Keep Smilin' 20899 Happy Hiking.

Good luck goedde2.... Happy Hiking!!

Dogwood
04-02-2013, 14:18
Meds, a haircut, sunshine, dancing bananas, and knowing I will soon be hiking change my attitude too.:D

If I started posting pics, which I have a lot of in different places having different experiences, I would be spending EVEN MORE time on WB getting my post and pic counts higher.:D Have a GREEEAT hike Goedde2.

Tinker
04-02-2013, 15:32
Healthy??

Nuts, dried fruit, and lots of .............

organic peanut butter.

Whole wheat bagels are great if you can get them, but I usually carry cinnamon raisin bagels because I'm addicted to them.

Slightly less healthy, but what I carried last week - Craisins (or their no-name counterparts), almond M&Ms, and peanuts (my idea of gorp).

Malto
04-02-2013, 15:38
Thank you. You just proved my point. Cyber bully, personal attack, has no idea what a posted thread is all about, and most of all, you are NOT MY BUDDY. What you actually are is misinformed, careless with your food choices, and ignorant of the consequences of poor judgement. Albeit, your response was probably intended to be humorous, and I did in fact get a chuckle out of it, but seriously, do your homework, for your sake. Happy Hiking. Hope to see you out there in a few weeks.

goedde's not my buddy :(

have a great hike :)

goedde2
04-02-2013, 16:51
goedde's not my buddy :(

have a great hike :)

Sorry Malto, I meant as in "good buddy", if you know what I mean. I'd be happy to have you as a friend.;)

By the way, just got my AT buzz cut today. If that doesn't scare the bears away, nothing will. Should be headed for Hartsfield in a few days. WOO-HOO!

HikerMom58
04-02-2013, 17:46
Sorry Malto, I meant as in "good buddy", if you know what I mean. I'd be happy to have you as a friend.;)

By the way, just got my AT buzz cut today. If that doesn't scare the bears away, nothing will. Should be headed for Hartsfield in a few days. WOO-HOO!

Yay!!! WOO-HOO!! You better have a cup of coffee with me in Daleville, "good buddy". ;)

Dogwood
04-02-2013, 17:52
Forget da bears. That scares me.:D
Now you're really going UL. Goedde, he's able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. More powerful than a locomotive. Look, up in the sky. It's a bird. It's a plane. NO. It's Super Goedde.:D

Have a good hike. Go hike unencumbered without all the hair. I swear you look like one of those shell shocked goofy newly enlisted Marines who just had their locks snipped. I meant that in a nice way!

Rasty
04-02-2013, 18:04
And once again, off topic, and taken out of context. Then the inevitable "cyber war" with the resident "cyber bully", experts that offer up meaningless dribble, perhaps intent on just adding another number to the post count. Using certain cereal products as a snack on a hike was only a SUGGESTION, one might CONSIDER. All of a sudden the word "nutritious", also taken out of context, is the focus, and the entire original thread disintegrates into a kaleidoscope of comments that might well have been more accurately posted as a new thread or new opinion, not as a criticism or registered as a personal attack. If you think the words, "heart healthy" labeled on ANY product is only a propaganda stunt, or gimmick, designed as a marketing tool for increased sales, you haven't thought much about how it was authorized to be put there in the first place.

That being said, go ahead, reach for that block of lard to deep fry your French fries, get that Mega Mac with half 1400 calories coming from fat, loaded with cholesterol and carbohydrates, and make sure you include that "value meal" soda typically loaded with 10 teaspoons of sugar, and of course make sure you take advantage of the free refills 2-3 times and take another with you for the ride home. If you prefer an alternative, grab that processed meat product like a hot dog or baloney, and don't forget the processed cheese product. For dessert you might top things off with a Krispi Kreme doughnut or a handful of potato chips fried in hydrogenated oil. Just a guess, but I don't think you will see any of these choices labeled, "May reduce the risk of heart disease". Diabetes might be inevitable as well.

So, eat whatever you want. Ignore the "heart healthy" labels. Avoid anything considered "nutritious".

All I said was this years food marketing catch word was "Protein". Not a personal attack or trying to bully you into eating something unhealthy. I like cereal too.

Malto
04-02-2013, 18:06
Hey nothing wrong with that look, that my normal hairdo. Here's a picture after my thru with it half shaved off. Scary!

HikerMom58
04-02-2013, 18:07
All I said was this years food marketing catch word was "Protein". Not a personal attack or trying to bully you into eating something unhealthy. I like cereal too. :)

You forgot the smiley face....:D

HikerMom58
04-02-2013, 18:09
Hey nothing wrong with that look, that my normal hairdo. Here's a picture after my thru with it half shaved off. Scary!

OK... that's funny lookin! ;)

goedde2
04-03-2013, 12:38
All I said was this years food marketing catch word was "Protein". Not a personal attack or trying to bully you into eating something unhealthy. I like cereal too. Sorry Rasty, my apologies. I think that must have been my evil twin who posted that. I'll have a talk with him to make sure it doesn't happen again.

goedde2
04-03-2013, 12:43
Yay!!! WOO-HOO!! You better have a cup of coffee with me in Daleville, "good buddy". ;) Thanks HM. That would just about be the high light of my trip. Consider it done.

max patch
04-03-2013, 12:44
All I said was this years food marketing catch word was "Protein". Not a personal attack or trying to bully you into eating something unhealthy. I like cereal too.

Yup. And next years just might be "wheat free".

goedde2
04-03-2013, 13:11
[QUOTE=Malto;1453820]Hey nothing wrong with that look, that my normal hairdo. Here's a picture after my thru with it half shaved off. Scary!

YIKES! Makes it hard to look into those eyes. You definitely won the contest.

goedde2
04-03-2013, 13:26
I swear you look like one of those shell shocked goofy newly enlisted Marines who just had their locks snipped. I meant that in a nice way!
Thanks Dogwood. You're more right than you realize. Parris Island, January, '65. Wish I had that picture to show you for comparison. Looks about the same without the smile or fat cheeks. Both pretty spooky though.

HikerMom58
04-03-2013, 13:37
Thanks HM. That would just about be the high light of my trip. Consider it done.

Yay!! I'll PM you my contact info... can't wait to meet up with ya!

perdidochas
04-22-2013, 13:26

"Lighten up, Francis" is a quote from Stripes. It's a joke.......

Lyle
04-22-2013, 14:32
Anyone remember these? They were actually pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPZ8HHRR1A0&feature=player_embedded

Dogwood
04-22-2013, 15:34
For a nutritious something different trail or at home snack try Dried Nori Sheets(Seaweed Snacks) made by Eden, Emerald Cove, Annie Chun, or even Kirkland(sold at Costco).

http://www.anniechun.com/our-food/seaweed

http://www.melaniecooks.com/kirkland-roasted-seaweed-dried-seaweed-snacks-from-costco/5223

Might try hummus(buy the dried from bulk bins(CHEAPER!), reconstitute with H2O, add abit of EVOO(packets are sold or you can carry some in a screw cap plastic 2 oz container or squeeze tube) and, maybe, some pine nuts to increase cals/oz ratio, could also add a few bits of sundried tomato pieces, YUM YUM) and Kashi Fire Roasted Vegetable Crackers or some other type of crackers. Any extra hummus I have while on trail gets added to mashed potatoes, rice, or chili to thicken those dishes up. Garbanzo Beans, what Hummus is made from, contains 18 Essential Amino Acids making it certainly possible to be a part of daily protein needs!