PDA

View Full Version : Convertible pants.

Trekk
03-30-2013, 15:12
What would you consider to be the best/your favorite convertible pants? And why please. I'm looking for a good pair and I would like your opinions.

BirdBrain
03-30-2013, 15:40
Although I have dismissed this option, I too am interested in opinions on this. Thus the bump.

WalksInDark
03-30-2013, 15:48
I have tried a couple of different brands and multiple manufacturers, but here are my "Go To" brand:

REI Sahara Convertible Pants with No-Sit Zips: http://www.rei.com/product/794406/rei-sahara-convertible-pants-with-no-sit-zips-mens-28-inseam
$64.50

Granted, they are a little pricy. However on the plus side, they: wear like iron; resist punctures from thorns and sharp branches; are stain resistant (yep, if you are really lucky, like I frequently am, you can put permanent marks on them); the zips are easy to use and almost never catch on the fabric; good crotch clearance for high stepping over rocks and obstacles; dry very quickly; the legs are color coded so you can see which leg goes where even in low light; and the pants breathe fairly well. I would not use these pants in very cold weather as your legs would quickly get freezing cold.

The cheaper convertible pants I have tried have been: quick to fray or wear out; hot; poor breathability; too tight to be comfortable; fast to pickup stains; had zippers that jammed frequently.

MuddyWaters
03-30-2013, 16:56
I like the magellan ones from Academy.
They are $24 today, I think I paid $19.99 when I got mine.
Light enough, durable enough.

Rocket Jones
03-30-2013, 17:34
I got these online from the Boy Scouts (http://www.scoutstuff.org/mens-venturing-switchback-pants.html). Rugged and lightweight.

map man
03-30-2013, 18:50
I hike in these:

http://www.columbia.com/Men%E2%80%99s-Aruba-III%E2%84%A2-Pant/FM8053,default,pd.html

They have a sewn-in liner brief so you don't wear underwear with them. If your thighs rub together when you hike, or you are otherwise prone to chafing, these may not be for you. But chafing has not been a problem for me and I find them to be comfortable.

I also like them because they are 100% nylon and dry very quickly.

bflorac
03-30-2013, 19:02
I'll second the REI Sahara Convertible Pants. I have the older design but they are comfortable. When wet, like most the time when I'm hiking (sweat), they dry fast. Since I tend to do early summer section hiking, the bottoms are rarely on except when walking in needles or similar brush. Given my shorter statue, I wish they were a bit shorter but otherwise I give them a thumbs up.

Venchka
03-30-2013, 19:17
Of the 4 pair that I have purchased over the years, my favorite pair is the Mountain Hardware 100% nylon with a drawstring at the bottom of each leg. I have since seen a pair online with a drawstring & a zipper for easier on/off over boots.

Wayne

Hot Flash
03-30-2013, 19:59
I got these online from the Boy Scouts (http://www.scoutstuff.org/mens-venturing-switchback-pants.html). Rugged and lightweight.

Ugh, I will never give money to the BSA until they put aside their negative policies against gays and atheists. As far as convertible pants go, I like Ex Officio with the embedded insect repellant.

Rocket Jones
03-30-2013, 20:26
Ugh, I will never give money to the BSA until they put aside their negative policies against gays and atheists. As far as convertible pants go, I like Ex Officio with the embedded insect repellant.

Leave your politics in another forum. A question was asked and I answered.

Trance
03-30-2013, 20:54
North Face Paramount Peak converts are the best. Just bought a new pair for my hike. They fit well, vent well, block wind/light rain well. Can get them on backcountry right now for like $55 with thier coupon code.

Tinker
03-30-2013, 20:59
I've always liked the design of Stephenson's Warmlite Converta-pants. I don't know if they still sell them. A picture of them is on the website, www.warmlite.com (http://www.warmlite.com) and they were originally made of Nomex, the fire-retardant fabric used in firefighter's clothing. As of about 15 years ago the price was around $90.00. No price is listed on the website, so if I ever decide to try to order them I'll have to contact the company.

Great design.

Dogwood
03-30-2013, 22:30
Leave your politics in another forum. A question was asked and I answered.

That's such a spot on direct to the pt as fair a reply I've seen in a long time. Bravo.

Trekk
03-31-2013, 10:02
Thanks guys. I'm curious about any preferred alternatives as well.

Praha4
03-31-2013, 10:08
Royal Robbins Zip n' Go pants..... comfortable and they work great on the trail. I usually don't like to wear convertible pants except for very early spring and late fall. Usually just wear Golite running shorts, but convertibles have their time.

Beuhler
03-31-2013, 12:49
I have both the REI and EMS brand convertible pants. I like the EMS ones a little better except for the fact that the shortest inseam is 30" while the REI has a 28" inseam. Thus the REI fit a little better. I'm 5'7".

Kuhl has a new convertible pant out that won some award recently. They have a 30" inseam as well but with boots I can probably get away with it. Think I'll give those a shot this year.

The Will
03-31-2013, 13:33
I've really enjoyed the Liberator convertible pant by Kuhl, so much so that I bought a second pair after using them on just one trip. The fabric is super soft and comfortable; there is plenty of room for movement in the knees and crotch and they have a clever design that disguises the zippers so they don't look like traditional zip-off pants. The only drawback is the price--around $90--but they are comfortable and stylish enough that they get plenty of front-country use as well.

BryanE
03-31-2013, 13:55
I third the REI Sahara pants. They are the most comfortable pair of pants that I own. I wear them in my daily life as well. If you sit too close to a campfire you'll find little holes all over them from embers though, haha.

Trekk
03-31-2013, 14:47
Looks like the REI Sahara pants have the majority so far.
Also I'm 6'5" have a 34-36" inseam, but luckily the Sahara's come in a 36".

Rasty
03-31-2013, 14:49
Columbia Aruba 3 Fishing Convertable pants are really nice for hot weather. Dry very quickly also.

Violent Green
03-31-2013, 18:08
I have two pairs that I like. The North Face Paramount Peak's and the Mountain Hardwear Mesa's. Both fit pretty well for my long legs and are very comfortable. The Mesa's are more comfy than the Paramount's, but don't seem quite as durable.

Ryan

daddytwosticks
03-31-2013, 18:11
I have a pair of REI convertable pants. I don't recall the model, but I'm cheap and totally unfashionable, so I'm sure I didn't pay much. They are olive in color and have some nice pockets. Before I bought these, I used a pair of Campmor store brand convertables until they literally fell apart (about 8 years of hiking service). The Campmor's were nice too (cheap, had pockets, and were olive in color). I'm easy to please. :)

Wise Old Owl
03-31-2013, 21:23
Serious - there are three things about convertible pants.

1. Pockets must be deep - when you sit on ground stuff stays in.
2. Zip off's fit over boots.
3. adjustable waist belt - strong to hang smaller gear.

I do prefer rip stop and waterproof - I suggest if you buy them use Tecwick Spray on the front of the thighs and leggings all the way around.

aviator60
04-01-2013, 12:17
I really like the REI Endeavor Convertible Pants (http://www.rei.com/product/843370/rei-endeavor-convertible-pants-mens-30-inseam) They are a bit expensive but they're really well made. They have the no-sit zips and gusseted... everything. Plus they stretch like a dream. I've found them to be quite abrasion resistant too.

XANGO
04-01-2013, 12:58
I started out with these because I love them back then. I eventually lost weight and the pants stretched out. They limited my mobility and caused chaffing on occasion. I eventually went with a pair of running shorts (the short, short ones with the mesh liner) - best choice I made all trail. Once I did that I hiked faster, felt cooler and even got to ditch the undies.

Another Kevin
04-01-2013, 19:21
Another vote for REI Sahara. I have a lot of snags on my pair now, but I've both bushwhacked and glissaded in them, so that's to be expected. Hit snags (carefully!) with the flame of a match or lighter so they don't keep unraveling.

I tossed the flimsy little waistbelt they came with and replaced it with a cheap one from Target. Since they have an elastic waist, I don't bother with a belt on them when I'm backpacking. For day trips I do wear a belt, because for whatever reason, the hip belt on my daypack tends to push my pants down, and that can be a bit em-bare-assing.

I know, wearing convertible pants marks me as a clueless weekender. The Real Hikers are welcome to laugh.

JustRob
04-02-2013, 05:05
Just in time...
http://www.rei.com/product/767573/white-sierra-convertible-trail-pants-mens-32-inseam-special-buy

rocketsocks
04-02-2013, 06:09
Just in time...
http://www.rei.com/product/767573/white-sierra-convertible-trail-pants-mens-32-inseam-special-buy

That's cheaper than what I've been paying for EMS brand conversion pants, which by the way owe me nothing. Been wearing em for about 6 years and they are my go to pants...love em! they have held up very well.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10970353&pageType=product&akURL=http%3A%2F%2Fems.imageg.net&cp=12529605&cid=1085784

Don H
04-02-2013, 08:12
My son wears the Boy Scout convertibles.

I wear the North Face Paramount pants. I wore one pair of tan ones thruhiking and they went the entire trail. Tore the back pockets out butt sliding down the wet rocks coming off Katahdin, other than that they were as good as the day I left. I also have a pair of NF Paramounts in green that are a close match to the Boy Scout version, I wear them to Scout meetings and camping trips.

moytoy
04-15-2013, 18:41
For anyone looking for decent convertible nylon pants at a discount Gander Mountain has their Guide Series on sale for $19.99. Men's and Women's. They are regularly $39.99. I bought 4 today for what I would pay for one pair of the pants I normally buy. These are decent pants and ones I can use around the house without fear of ruining them, they will work for hiking also.

pgustaf249
05-05-2013, 15:04
Serious - there are three things about convertible pants.

1. Pockets must be deep - when you sit on ground stuff stays in.
2. Zip off's fit over boots.
3. adjustable waist belt - strong to hang smaller gear.

I do prefer rip stop and waterproof - I suggest if you buy them use Tecwick Spray on the front of the thighs and leggings all the way around.

Help this noob and explain what Tecwick Spray is for.

Spirit Walker
05-06-2013, 12:10
I've worn the REI Sahara pants for years, because they are the only ones that fit my legs without binding. However, the last time I bought them, the sizing had changed. Size 10 was now size 4. (Walked in to REI wearing my size 10s, tried some on - enormous. Tried on 8, and 6 - still enormous. Finally got a 4. It fit the same as my 10s.) So if you are buying mail order, try them on at once, just in case. It may have only been that one batch, but it would have been irritating if I'd been buying them by mail.

q-tip
05-07-2013, 00:01
Just got these from Go Lite-9 oz., pretty good http://www.golite.com/Ms-Pyramid-Peak-Convertible-Pant-P46928.aspx

Joker4ink
05-08-2013, 09:07
I swear by the Alpine Design convertible pants from Sports Authority. I wear the older design (easily found on Ebay) with the all black belt. I love them because...
1. The material is very light, just what you are looking for when shopping convertible pants. I wear them year round, just with a base layer if in fall/winter.
2. They are very durable. I have worn the same pants going on four years now. They are pretty beat up, but I bought a spare set last year just in case I need to retire these soon.
3. Good pocket design. The front pockets have mesh inside, and the back pockets have zippers. It has one side/hip pocket with a few things going on. It has one large pocket (closest to the skin), one large pocket outside of it which has a velcro flap, and the flap also covers a pocket to hold a pen. The pockets are easy to get to and appropriately sized.
4. They are comfortable and have a built in belt.
5. The price is very reasonable and the quality is better than I expected. They are similar in design and material to REI convertible pants and work very well.

Unitic
05-08-2013, 09:11
Ex-Officio Zewa convertibles made from Insect Shield fabric (treated with permethrin) cause one two year battle with Lyme disease is more than enough for one lifetime!

perrito
05-08-2013, 10:27
The last one's I bought where a Mountain Hardwear model, I don't remember which. One of the things I was concerned with was the length of the shorts after the zip off. I hate short shorts and these were the longest I could find. You being a really tall guy may also have this concern.
FWIW, I'll probably not buy zip-off pants for my next purchase. I had a bout with Lyme and trying to make it easier to spot the little buggers by using long sleeves and light colors.
I'm probably going to buy the "Railrider Eco-Mesh Pant with Insect Shield (http://www.railriders.com/men-eco-mesh-pant-with-insect-shield-p-837.html?cPath=104_110&osCsid=ket614si53ifrldt2kovp13tu2)". They're vented on the sides and are treated with permethrin. Check out the review on Section Hiker (http://sectionhiker.com/railriders-eco-mesh-pants-a-love-affiar/).

Chaco Taco
05-08-2013, 10:39
Mountain Hardware Mesa Convertable pants and Piero pants. Piero are great in cold weather. They are light and fit me great.

Lyle
05-08-2013, 13:16
I had one pair of Columbia zip offs that lasted for ever! I used to use them for both hiking, and on volunteer vacations when trail building two weeks at a stint. They held up very well, still are in one piece and the zips still work fine, crotch seams are letting loose, so I don't trust them any more as an only pair on a trip. That said, they fit terribly, and looked horrendous - but we're used to that when hiking, right. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find another pair of these, probably aren't making them any more. They were very light weight as well.

The last two pairs I've had were REI Saharas. These fit well and look good enough to wear around town if you wanted. Unfortunately, they do not last. The pocket zippers all break early on, and the material is not all that durable. The seams fray quite badly as well.

I've basically given up on convertibles and just go with shorts, long johns, and/or wind pants. Much cheaper and more versatile, SLIGHTLY less convenient, but I hike 97% of the time in just shorts, so the inconvenience isn't that big of deal.

kayak karl
08-11-2013, 20:06
just thought i'd bump this to see if anyone one knows of any sales on pants. nylon convertible or not.

Malto
08-11-2013, 20:15
I had one pair of Columbia zip offs that lasted for ever! I used to use them for both hiking, and on volunteer vacations when trail building two weeks at a stint. They held up very well, still are in one piece and the zips still work fine, crotch seams are letting loose, so I don't trust them any more as an only pair on a trip. That said, they fit terribly, and looked horrendous - but we're used to that when hiking, right. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find another pair of these, probably aren't making them any more. They were very light weight as well.

The last two pairs I've had were REI Saharas. These fit well and look good enough to wear around town if you wanted. Unfortunately, they do not last. The pocket zippers all break early on, and the material is not all that durable. The seams fray quite badly as well.

I've basically given up on convertibles and just go with shorts, long johns, and/or wind pants. Much cheaper and more versatile, SLIGHTLY less convenient, but I hike 97% of the time in just shorts, so the inconvenience isn't that big of deal.

As far as durability of the Sahara pants. I used a stripped down pair on regular, not convertible. They lasted me the entire thru hike but I would have been arrested for indecent exposure wearing them in public by the end. (They had one glissando too many.). The funny thing was that when I finished the PCT I turned back around and exited via Harts Pass. it just so happened that REI was doing a photo shot and I joked around that their pants were defective. I was told to take them back and exchange them. Really? We also offered them an opportunity to photography real hikers, not models. Our generous offer was declined for some strange or smelly reason.

Drybones
08-11-2013, 20:21
The only ones I've found that I like are North Face Paramount, and I'm normally not a North Face fan. Only problem with them the shorts are a little too short, I'm in the process of ordering the new Paramount Peak because they're longer. I like the material and I like the way they fit, tried some Mt Hardware and absolutely hate them.

Paddlefoot
08-16-2013, 14:40
I have a 38" inseam and had given up on convertible pants.

But an REI salesperson encouraged me to try on a pair of the tan REI talls - and I was shocked to see that they fit me fine - they are plenty long.

I know a real ultralighter would never carry pants, but I liked having them in buggy areas and to wear in town on my recent thru-hike of the Colorado Trail.

Shovel69
08-24-2013, 17:01
My first pair of columbia convertibles served me for 2 weeks, but after that the zipper pulls fell off and the zipper itself started coming off. I now have a pair from the north face that work quite well.

Dogwood
08-24-2013, 21:10
Anyone know of draw string waist light wt convertible pants(they would weigh considerable less than a belt) with 8-9" or less shorts inseam(i like short shorts)? Can make you look a little strange(hey it might match the rest of me), especially in towns, but lately, I've been going with really light wt nylon running shorts with silk wt thermals underneath when needed rather than habitually reaching for convertibles. This combo is lighter wt and gives me a bit more versatility than convertibles w/ the belt.

Wise Old Owl
08-24-2013, 21:14
Come on Dogwood! pull the belt and put a rope in it...

Dogwood
08-24-2013, 21:21
Only if it was an UL rope.:D

Rasty
08-24-2013, 22:05
Anyone know of draw string waist light wt convertible pants(they would weigh considerable less than a belt) with 8-9" or less shorts inseam(i like short shorts)? Can make you look a little strange(hey it might match the rest of me), especially in towns, but lately, I've been going with really light wt nylon running shorts with silk wt thermals underneath when needed rather than habitually reaching for convertibles. This combo is lighter wt and gives me a bit more versatility than convertibles w/ the belt.

Columbia Aruba 3 fit the description.