PDA

View Full Version : Are you frowned upon if you're not a ultra light hiker?

Sclark9082
03-30-2013, 16:28
Almost all the discussion I read is geared to being "low weight" everything. What is a reasonable pack weight for someone not trying to do 30 mile days?

Lone Wolf
03-30-2013, 16:31
i carry around 35lbs.

Sarcasm the elf
03-30-2013, 16:35
Almost all the discussion I read is geared to being "low weight" everything. What is a reasonable pack weight for someone not trying to do 30 mile days?

It all depends on the individual and what kind of hiking they plan to do, also depends in how much their knees can take.

The old school (boy scout) number was 40lbs or less for an average hike. I shoot for 25-30lbs, above 35lbs I really start to notice the weight.

jesse
03-30-2013, 16:36
It gets discussed on this board, but I don't hear a lot of gear talk on the trail. I have a lot of home made light weight gear. I never talk about it unless someone asks. There is no "reasonable" pack weight. Do what works for you. I don't frown upon hikers with heavy packs cause frankly I don't give a damn.

Feral Bill
03-30-2013, 16:41
I pack light, but not ultra. I doubt anyone cares much except at the extremes of pack weight.

Rasty
03-30-2013, 16:45
Somewhere around twenty to thirty-five pounds. I'm usually around 25# including food and water for 5-6 days.

MuddyWaters
03-30-2013, 16:45
No.

Some people want to hike 25 miles per day
Some are OK with 8

HYOH

But it is usually in peoples best interest to get their pack weight as low as they are comfortable with.
If nothing else, hikers carrying heavier loads can learn from it to minimize things that really dont matter.

Personally, I try to keep my pack maxed out around 20 lbs with food and water. But I may only be carrying 7 lb of gear wt.

I think a good goal for most is to stay maxed out in the 30 lb range with food and water. You can really do that without much effort or $$. Mostly learning to take only what you really need, especially in clothing and gadget department.

Hot Flash
03-30-2013, 16:58
I pack relatively light. My normal pack weight without food and water is about fourteen or fifteen pounds. I could cut this down more if I had money to spend, but since I am a budget backpacker, this is where weight and money intersect for me.

Leapfrog^
03-30-2013, 17:09
Keep it under 30 lbs, less if you can. I haven't yet had the opportunity to do an AT thru hike so I've been section hiking in the Whites of NH for 2-3 day stints the past 4 years. I peak out just under 30 on day 1 but that includes perishables & 3 liters of water. After day one I'm in the low 20's for the remainder of the trek. I've met thru-hikers who actually get down to ±20 lbs but that's w/a tarp tent & carrying minimal water.

shakey_snake
03-30-2013, 17:09
Most people are "ultralight" because that's what works well for thru hikers.

But most people here aren't active or planning thru hikers, either. Still, being ultralight can generally make hiking more enjoyable. YMMV.

SouthMark
03-30-2013, 17:15
One thing that I do know from all of the gear weight discussions, no one ever says "I wish my pack weight was heavier".

Tipi Walter
03-30-2013, 17:47

I think a good goal for most is to stay maxed out in the 30 lb range with food and water. You can really do that without much effort or $$. Mostly learning to take only what you really need, especially in clothing and gadget department.

These numbers are given with apparently no regard to length out and/or food weight. Are you talking about a weekend snippet trip? 5 days? 10 days? 18 days without resupply?

brian039
03-30-2013, 18:05
I can probably count all the gear discussions I had on the trail on one finger. I'd say less than 30 lbs to start with and less than 25 in the summer. Back to less than 30 once you hit the Whites.

Grampie
03-30-2013, 18:10
I have thru-hiked and I am also a caretaker at Upper Goose Pond in Mass. At UGP NOBO hikers are 3/4 of the way finished. Most of them are not ultra weight or even light weight hikers. They are folks who are taking all the stuff they need and like and are enjoying their hike and are not conserned with the weight they are carrying.
Most of the light weight folks thought that becaus they were light weight hikers their hike would easy and problem free, As soon as they found out otherwise they packed it up and went home.
At the start of a thru, the light weight folks think that they have a hand up over the others who are carrying 35 lbs. and more. They than try to convince that they are right and others are wrong. Twenty years ago there was no light weight gear to buy. Everyone warryed aroung 45- 55 lbs. I dont think their finish rate was any less than todays thru-hikers.

MuddyWaters
03-30-2013, 18:10
These numbers are given with apparently no regard to length out and/or food weight. Are you talking about a weekend snippet trip? 5 days? 10 days? 18 days without resupply?

Most AT hikers genrerally carry a maximum of about 5 days food at a time, so I implicitly refer to around a 15 -18 lb base wt. Possible exception being 100 mile wilderness.

Yes, we know Tipi carries 42 lbs food and stay out for 3 weeks during epic blizzards in the dead of winter.
But that is clearly not the mode of the typical AT hiker, although it sounds like a heck of a lot of fun when properly equipped.

I do think you need more comfort items generally for a 5 mo hike, than you do a 2 week hike as well. Warm enough bag, more comfortable pad, etc. There is obviously (to me) a balance that is necessitated, but may be different for different people. A thru is as much a mental challenge, as a physical one.

map man
03-30-2013, 18:32
I hike more comfortably carrying 20 pounds than I do when I carry 30 pounds. I hike more comfortably carrying 30 pounds than I do when I carry 40 pounds. This is true whether I cover 5 miles or 25 miles.

Now, camping more comfortably is another matter. But it's worth pointing out that not all decisions that add weight to your pack will also let you camp more comfortably. For instance, an inefficient sleeping bag weighing 4 pounds with a true temp rating of 15 degrees won't have you camping any more comfortably than a more premium, efficient sleeping bag weighing under 2 pounds with a true temp rating of 15 degrees.

Malto
03-30-2013, 18:35
It gets discussed on this board, but I don't hear a lot of gear talk on the trail. I have a lot of home made light weight gear. I never talk about it unless someone asks. There is no "reasonable" pack weight. Do what works for you. I don't frown upon hikers with heavy packs cause frankly I don't give a damn.

Couldnt have said it better.

Venchka
03-30-2013, 18:38
I am frowned upon for a variety of reasons. Ultra-Heavy backpacking is just one of the reasons.
I also frown on spending obscene amounts of money to save a pound or two. Seriously, it is quite easy to spend upwards of $500/pound, or more, to shave a few ounces from your gear.
My gear works for me without making me frown.

Wayne

hikerboy57
03-30-2013, 18:42
you're only frowned upon if you're carrying 50 pounds of ul gear. right now I'm at 24 pounds without food and water.

MuddyWaters
03-30-2013, 18:43

Agree. I completely avoid gear talk on the trail. And I also really dont care what anyone else brings. Its all good if it gets you out there.

bflorac
03-30-2013, 18:55
Listen, hike your own hike. If you want to carry 65 lbs have fun. I carry 35-40 fully loaded (I love my pillow). I've seen guys with 15 lbs carrying 10 lbs of trail mix (no TP, no water). I'm seen a guy that carried no food and hunted along the way. It is what makes it fun and that is what is important. Now, if you weight 140 lbs and are packing 65 lbs and I see you struggling to the point you might quit I might suggest that you lighten you load but generally what you carry is your business and most hikers I've seen will treat you that way (but be prepared to get a trail name like cement-boy or least have fun with you about it.)

Violent Green
03-30-2013, 22:36
I don't think anyone looks down on anyone necessarily, more so that everyone thinks their way is the best way. The UL folks think carrying 50 pounds is lunacy. The "traditional weight" hikers think UL hikers will perish during rain shower due to being unprepared. Who cares! As long as we're all having fun......I've had several gear related conversations on the trail and at shelters. Most folks I run into are carrying a pretty big load and they want to know what kind of gear I'm carrying, how it works, etc. since my pack is usually on the small side. It's fun to talk about it for a while, but we always move on to other stuff after a few minutes.

Ryan

Fur Queue
03-30-2013, 22:41

I couldn't give a monkeys...I'm packing only what I need and a couple of extras for added enjoyment...I also couldn't give a monkeys how far I get in a day...I'll take my three miles of pleasure against thirty miles of stoic determination everyday of the week... :)

Blackbeard30
03-30-2013, 22:48
I don't frown down on anyone about it. After all, it's not me that has to carry it. I have one hiking buddy that his pack weight does not drop below 40lbs, and that's even on a ONE night trip.

Old Hiker
03-30-2013, 22:52
you're only frowned upon if you're carrying 50 pounds of ul gear. right now I'm at 24 pounds without food and water.

*emphasis added*

Hikerboy, them grams sure add up, don't they???

BirdBrain
03-30-2013, 22:54
A person that frowns upon you for what you chose to carry is a person to avoid on the trail. It isn't like they are carrying it or something. If I look at someone's gear, it is to learn, not criticize. If there is knowledge to gain, that is a beautiful thing. What is the point of frowning at the gear of another person? Does it make someone feel big or good or better?

fiddlehead
03-30-2013, 22:56
Don't worry over what other people are thinking about you. They're too busy worrying over what you are thinking about them.

BirdBrain
03-30-2013, 22:57
Don't worry over what other people are thinking about you. They're too busy worrying over what you are thinking about them.

Well said. The goal ought to be having a great hike, not pleasing every critic on the trail.

zukiguy
03-30-2013, 23:21
I think this is like saying does someone in a Corvette look down on someone in an Escalade? We're looking at two different choices of gear with different purposes. I have UL hiking partners who still bring a full sized pillow or coffee press. It's all about your priorities. To do those 30 mile days, something has to give unless you're bionic.

For long distances, going faster is the same as dropping weight. A section that takes a week of 8 mile days can be done in 3 if you're hauling butt so you don't have to carry as much food. HYOY, it's all about what you like to do.

Tipi Walter
03-30-2013, 23:29
For long distances, going faster is the same as dropping weight. A section that takes a week of 8 mile days can be done in 3 if you're hauling butt so you don't have to carry as much food. HYOY, it's all about what you like to do.

How about doing a section that takes a week and stretching it out to three? HYOH---it's what I like to do.

Star Walker
03-31-2013, 03:26
Nobody will look down on you for it but some will think your crazy. I normally have between 35-40lbs myself

prain4u
03-31-2013, 05:26
One thing that I do know from all of the gear weight discussions, no one ever says "I wish my pack weight was heavier".

What about Tipi Walter? :)

prain4u
03-31-2013, 06:03
I generally become concerned about someone else's pack weight under two scenarios:

1) If they appear the be new or inexperienced--and they are carrying so much weight that they appear to be struggling--I MAY offer some ideas or suggestions--IF they seem open to a discussion or suggestions regarding how to carry less weight and be more comfortable.

2) Every once in a rare while, I will encounter an "ultra light" person who is pretty proud of their low pack weight--but who also frequently asks (or hints) that they would like to "borrow" stuff from me or the people around me. Here are some of their lines: "Can I look at your map (or guide book) for a second?" "Does anyone have....(duct tape, a sewing kit, screwdriver, pliers, tweezers, band aid, knife, etc. )?". Perhaps they look at the nice meal which you have prepared and they drop hints that they would like "just a little taste".

About the second time that they ask to "borrow" stuff, I will start to playfully chide them about how easy it is to pack "ultra light" when they depend upon everyone else to carry their gear and food for them.

10-K
03-31-2013, 06:16
My post in this thread disappeared.....

What I do is take what I need, and only what I need and I try to resist the urge to start going "Well, I might need this and I might need that." and putting more stuff in my pack after I have what I need. This is the best way to avoid ending up with a 30 lb pack.

I figure if I only take what I need my pack won't get too heavy to begin with.

coach lou
03-31-2013, 07:32
My post in this thread disappeared.....

What I do is take what I need, and only what I need and I try to resist the urge to start going "Well, I might need this and I might need that." and putting more stuff in my pack after I have what I need. This is the best way to avoid ending up with a 30 lb pack.

I figure if I only take what I need my pack won't get too heavy to begin with.

This is the most difficult part of my backpacking experience:D

bear bag hanger
03-31-2013, 07:34
Right now, my pack weight is about 35 pounds. That's with about three to four days food and two liters of water. I've tried to lessen it a little, but I feel the need for both good rain pants and jacket. Most people I see with less than 25 pounds seem to leave these important items behind. I'm reminded of a guy I met who was hiking the whole east coast (Key West to Maine). The first time he tried it ultra-light and was found in northern GA nearly frozen to death. He spent three months in the hospital, but recovered without any permanent effects. He tried the hike again a year later, only this time had a pack weight of about 45 pounds. He made it all the way the second time around.

Hairbear
03-31-2013, 07:44
human nature only looks down upon others as a way to look up to self. I couldnt give a fat rats ... what you carry.

10-K
03-31-2013, 07:46
Right now, my pack weight is about 35 pounds. That's with about three to four days food and two liters of water. I've tried to lessen it a little, but I feel the need for both good rain pants and jacket. Most people I see with less than 25 pounds seem to leave these important items behind. I'm reminded of a guy I met who was hiking the whole east coast (Key West to Maine). The first time he tried it ultra-light and was found in northern GA nearly frozen to death. He spent three months in the hospital, but recovered without any permanent effects. He tried the hike again a year later, only this time had a pack weight of about 45 pounds. He made it all the way the second time around.

A light pack can indicate 2 things:

1. A hiker doesn't have what they need and is sacrificing safety for weight.
2. A hiker has what he needs but no more.

Most people who have issues with UL tend to categorize UL'ers into #1 because they just don't get the concept of not having superflous gear in their pack "just in case".

A heavy ( which I define as 30+ lbs) pack usually indicates 1 of 2 things:

1. A hiker is going to be out for a long time without resupply. (that's you Walter... :) )
2. A hiker is carrying too much gear.

I would guess that 95% of folks that have 30+ lbs fall into category #2.

Now - having said all that - it doesn't matter one way or the other because we carry our own packs.

On the trail I can't think of a time where how much somebody's pack weighed caused a problem... It never comes up....

p.s. There are caveats and exceptions to everything. A heavy pack may mean that a hiker can't afford lighter gear, etc. etc.

kayak karl
03-31-2013, 07:49
they won't look down on you, but there will be some that will look at your pack and it will just add to their already inflated ego that they are better then you. :rolleyes:

Rasty
03-31-2013, 07:52
they won't look down on you, but there will be some that will look at your pack and it will just add to their already inflated ego that they are better then you. :rolleyes:

You can't fix that for them. "They" will focus on anything to inflate an ego!

10-K
03-31-2013, 08:00
You can't fix that for them. "They" will focus on anything to inflate an ego!

My mother used to tell me that the things I don't like about other people are the things I don't like about myself.. :)

Rasty
03-31-2013, 08:12
My mother used to tell me that the things I don't like about other people are the things I don't like about myself.. :)

Wise advise but every once in while you will run across an a-hole! :)

10-K
03-31-2013, 08:14
Wise advise but every once in while you will run across an a-hole! :)

Every once in a while I can be one.... :) A royal one at that.

But I try not to be you know...

Pedaling Fool
03-31-2013, 08:15
As with everything else here, the definition of Ultra Light isn't well defined. However, if you are perceived as carrying too heavy of a pack then in a way you are looked down on, kind of in the same way as people that are "slow" (mentally) or "just don't get it".

I do carry a heavy pack, thus I'm seen that way, regardless of one's definition -- it's that heavy. I know I'm looked down on in a somewhat condescending manner, but it doesn't bother me in the least.

We're talking about a bunch of hippie-like kids that worship Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

Those poor kids are confused :)

10-K
03-31-2013, 08:21
John, I think perception has a lot to do with it too. Feeling like people look down on you is not the same as people looking down on you.

Generally speaking, people tend to judge themselves more harshly than others. I keep my pack weight as light as possible but I never judge someone for how much their pack weighs. Never.

But, if i get into a discussion that invites input or my opinion (such as this thread) then I'll say what I think and if someone feels like I'm judging them that's on them - not me.

Tuckahoe
03-31-2013, 08:27
Keeping in mind that most hikers are novices, why concern yourself with what folks think about the weight that you carry?

Based on WB I should be looked down on for carrying an external frame, 2 qts of water, and a pocket knife.

Hairbear
03-31-2013, 08:32
I had a flock of all white chickens once ,they were all white except one ,it was born with a black spot on its head. All the other chickens would not let it be ,they kept pecking the hell out of that one spot until finally the sotted one died from constant attack from others. People are just like that.

Capt Nat
03-31-2013, 08:39
Mr. Hairbear, that's a sad commentary. So true. I've seen it in chickens and people.

garlic08
03-31-2013, 08:52
One thing is universally true on the trail: Anyone whose pack is lighter than yours is a risk-taking fool, and anyone whose pack is heavier than yours is an overweight dinosaur. No matter how much your pack weighs, you just can't help but think this.

And there was this fine quote from a concurrent thread, which pretty much mirrors my experience: "...You know one thing that was kinda weird? On the PCT, people looked at my pack and said “Not bad....you might be carrying a little too much though. I’d try to go with a smaller pack.” On the AT, the reaction was “45-liter pack?!? 20 pounds?!? You’ll never make it!” When I asked why they carried a 40-pound, 75-liter pack, the argument was “I need it for comfort.” What on Earth is comfortable about a 40-pound pack? And I might add that from my experience, the PCT requires more gear than the AT. Cultural difference, I guess...."

Rasty
03-31-2013, 09:53
I had a flock of all white chickens once ,they were all white except one ,it was born with a black spot on its head. All the other chickens would not let it be ,they kept pecking the hell out of that one spot until finally the sotted one died from constant attack from others. People are just like that.

Dr. Seuss wrote a book about this!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sneetches_and_Other_Stories

Old Boots
03-31-2013, 09:57
To answer your question I do not hear much if any gear talk on the trail. Occasionally if you see some gear that interests you, one might inquire. Each one needs to decide what they need to make their hike the safest, flexible, and most comfortable. My experience is that no one makes fun or looks down upon another hiker because of the weight of their gear.

Sarcasm the elf
03-31-2013, 10:13
We're talking about a bunch of hippie-like kids that worship Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

Those poor kids are confused :)

Okay, I'll bite...

Are you making fun of them because they like Ayn Rand or because they're hippies?

I had always assumed that the only reason your login was John Gault was because John Galt was already taken... :rolleyes:

jeffmeh
03-31-2013, 11:53

Yep, and also with no regard to the size of the hiker. Is a 35 lb. load the same for a fit 135 lb. hiker and a fit 215 lb. hiker?

10-K
03-31-2013, 11:57
I don't think there's a correlation between the size of a hiker and how much their pack weighs.

You would think there would be.

Mountain Mike
03-31-2013, 12:04
Who cares? HYOH. Take what works for you. Being out in the woods kinda levels everyone to understanding a mutual enjoyment. It's 99% camaraderie, just ignore the other 1% ( they probably won't camp with you anyway)!

Feral Bill
03-31-2013, 12:06
A light pack can indicate 2 things:

1. A hiker doesn't have what they need and is sacrificing safety for weight.
2. A hiker has what he needs but no more.

Most people who have issues with UL tend to categorize UL'ers into #1 because they just don't get the concept of not having superflous gear in their pack "just in case".

A heavy ( which I define as 30+ lbs) pack usually indicates 1 of 2 things:

1. A hiker is going to be out for a long time without resupply. (that's you Walter... :) )
2. A hiker is carrying too much gear.

I would guess that 95% of folks that have 30+ lbs fall into category #2.

Now - having said all that - it doesn't matter one way or the other because we carry our own packs.

On the trail I can't think of a time where how much somebody's pack weighed caused a problem... It never comes up....

p.s. There are caveats and exceptions to everything. A heavy pack may mean that a hiker can't afford lighter gear, etc. etc.

I'd add

3. The person is hiking in serious winter weather.

4. The person is carrying gear for fishing, photography, climbing, or another backpacking related hobby.

5. The person is hiking with kids, and carrying some or all of their supplies.

6. The person is carrying luxuries (big tent, extra cookware, folding chair, beer) that are more important to them than a lighter pack.

10-K
03-31-2013, 12:15
I'd add

3. The person is hiking in serious winter weather.

4. The person is carrying gear for fishing, photography, climbing, or another backpacking related hobby.

5. The person is hiking with kids, and carrying some or all of their supplies.

6. The person is carrying luxuries (big tent, extra cookware, folding chair, beer) that are more important to them than a lighter pack.

I file that under caveats exceptions etc. etc. etc.... :)

jeffmeh
03-31-2013, 12:27
I don't think there's a correlation between the size of a hiker and how much their pack weighs.

You would think there would be.

If we measure size as lean body mass, assume no significant physical impediments, there should certainly be a correlation between hiker size and MAXIMUM pack weight for a given hike.

The gear weight does increase some with the size of the hiker (larger size clothing, bag, pad, tent/hammock, etc.), as does the food required to fuel the lean body mass.

I also agree with your categorizations of (paraphrasing) prudent ultralight and stupid ultralight. One should be able to survive reasonable (unlikely, but not unprecedented) worst case conditions without injury. For example, consider a snowy, sub-freezing spring in the southern Apps. Prudent ultralight might require one to use everything in the pack to ride it out, and might require one to retreat to escape the conditions, but not having the provisions (and experience) to achieve at least one of those is just plain stupid.

HikerMom58
03-31-2013, 12:34

This is true and sad, Hairbear. What have we become?

There's a lot of good comments on here. :)

Whether we are talking about hiking UL or carrying hiking poles, it seems not everyone can give their thoughts/opinions without slamming anyone that doesn't see it/do it, like they do. *shaking head*

Fur Queue
03-31-2013, 14:30
I worked on a chicken farm in Israel once...it's true about chickens....if you put a bright and bushy plumed one in with a bunch of scraggy featherless birds they peck it to death...the reverse also happens, if you put a scraggy old one in with a bunch of fully plumed birds...it will be dead by morning...I guess there is no pleasing some people...so you might as well please your self.... :)

Sclark9082
03-31-2013, 16:56
Thanks. All the excellent views and expressions put a new perspective on things for me. Thank you for sharing.

daddytwosticks
03-31-2013, 18:03
I worked on a chicken farm in Israel once...it's true about chickens....if you put a bright and bushy plumed one in with a bunch of scraggy featherless birds they peck it to death...the reverse also happens, if you put a scraggy old one in with a bunch of fully plumed birds...it will be dead by morning...I guess there is no pleasing some people...so you might as well please your self.... :) I did not know chickens were so foul natured. :)

Malto
03-31-2013, 18:19
I did not know chickens were so foul natured. :)

Thats pretty punny!

Mags
03-31-2013, 18:26
I pack light so I can carry in more beer or wine.

I'm all about efficiency.

Fakin the Funk
03-31-2013, 19:03
Who cares? U are really worried about elitist trust fund babies on the trail. Do u

Sclark9082
03-31-2013, 19:08
No, Fakin I was asking a question. But in the way you framed your reply, I would bet you would be the type to do what I just asked about. Thanks for your input though.

Fakin the Funk
03-31-2013, 19:11
To each his own, sorry if I offended you but I get the impression most on this site are people that havent earned anything. Good luck in your travels

Fakin the Funk
03-31-2013, 19:12
Maybe I will see u on Springer 2014 myself

Malto
03-31-2013, 19:13
Who cares? U are really worried about elitist trust fund babies on the trail. Do u

Just curious..... How do you know there are "elitist trust fund babies" on the trail? Were they wearing a shirt saying that or was it their Salvatore Ferragamo shoes that tipped you off?

Rasty
03-31-2013, 19:17
To each his own, sorry if I offended you but I get the impression most on this site are people that havent earned anything. Good luck in your travels

You know what they say about assumptions? :D

Fakin the Funk
03-31-2013, 19:18
Just curious..... How do you know there are "elitist trust fund babies" on the trail? Were they wearing a shirt saying that or was it their Salvatore Ferragamo shoes that tipped you off?

Because I grew up with these type of granolas. Never earned anything daddy got them their jobs and they barely graduated college and they cheated on every test. The whole reason I am hiking the trail is to scoff at folks like them. HYOH brah

Malto
03-31-2013, 19:24
Because I grew up with these type of granolas. Never earned anything daddy got them their jobs and they barely graduated college and they cheated on every test. The whole reason I am hiking the trail is to scoff at folks like them. HYOH brah

Such hostility. Think you need a hike.... Especially to get away from all the people of this that haven't earned anything. Can't believe you would associate with such lowlifes (or is it lowlives?). And for the record my granola doesn't have a degree, it has raisins.

Fakin the Funk
03-31-2013, 19:26
Not hiking to make friends doing just to prove i can. If I fail I fail, at least I am making a sacrifice by leaving a well paying job and not living off my mommy

rocketsocks
03-31-2013, 19:26

fakin the funk
scoffin and hatin
puttin trust funders on blast
for the walk they be takin.

To the OP....i'm at about 25-35 depending on time of year and temp, and I'm cool with that!

Rasty
03-31-2013, 19:29

fakin the funk
scoffin and hatin
puttin trust funders on blast
for the walk they be takin.

Sock(s) - Is that Rap or Haiku?

rocketsocks
03-31-2013, 19:30
Sock(s) - Is that Rap or Haiku?yep and with some old school beat box for rivem

trust funders eat well, and have the best hotel parties....go make friends Funky butt.

Fakin the Funk
03-31-2013, 19:31
Sorry if I am being an ass but please tell me who most of the hikers are? Recent college grads that come from wealthy families. Im not hating just trying to speak reality

Rasty
03-31-2013, 19:31
Not hiking to make friends doing just to prove i can. If I fail I fail, at least I am making a sacrifice by leaving a well paying job and not living off my mommy

You know the average age for Whiteblazers is around 50. Youngsters like me are the exception.

Rasty
03-31-2013, 19:34
Sock(s) - Is that Rap or Haiku?yep and with some old school beat box for rivem

trust funders eat well, and have the best hotel parties....go make friends Funky butt.

Funky Butt? Really?

brian039
03-31-2013, 19:34

If the whole reason you're hiking the trial is to scoff at others you are definitely not hiking your hike. I'd chill out and hike it with an open mind, you'll find your preconceived notions are way off.

Fakin the Funk
03-31-2013, 19:36
I didnt grow up poor, I actually was very fortunate. I just laugh at these folks who spend 3k to shave ounces. Man up

brian039
03-31-2013, 19:36
Sorry if I am being an ass but please tell me who most of the hikers are? Recent college grads that come from wealthy families. Im not hating just trying to speak reality

The cool thing about AT hikers is that they don't fit into any box. I've hiked with people who were both rich and poor. The reality is that your reality doesn't exist.

Fakin the Funk
03-31-2013, 19:38
and OP, nothing is wrong about carrying 40lbs.

rocketsocks
03-31-2013, 19:38
Sorry if I am being an ass but please tell me who most of the hikers are? Recent college grads that come from wealthy families. Im not hating just trying to speak realityI hear ya, your not all togeather incorrect, i'm sure theres some truth in there. Being ultralight comes at a price...so who's got the dough...retired peeps and trust funders...but with some exceptions..still true to a degree. Don't forget about the hard working slobs that earn a living and actually save there money to be able to afford such luxuries as cubins, and maybe sacrifice a J oh bee just to get out there.

Rasty
03-31-2013, 19:40
I didnt grow up poor, I actually was very fortunate. I just laugh at these folks who spend 3k to shave ounces. Man up

Why do you care what I or others spend on equipment? 3k may not be big money to many here compared to funding other hobbies like golf or boating.

Fakin the Funk
The cool thing about AT hikers is that they don't fit into any box. I've hiked with people who were both rich and poor. The reality is that your reality doesn't exist.

I guess I will find out a year from now. I am not a standoffish person actually pretty nice would give u the shirt off my back if u were in need.

S'more

Much wisdom in Dr. Seuss's words!

Fakin the Funk
03-31-2013, 19:41
Why do you care what I or others spend on equipment? 3k may not be big money to many here compared to funding other hobbies like golf or boating.

I really dont care just think it is silly. Are u that weak that u cant carry a 40lb pack? Cmon man

Rasty
03-31-2013, 19:42

Much wisdom in Dr. Seuss's words!

My favorite Seuss book.

rocketsocks
03-31-2013, 19:44
I guess I will find out a year from now. I am not a standoffish person actually pretty nice would give u the shirt off my back if u were in need.I'll bet you would give the shirt off your back....call it a hunch, but i believe this to be true! So why all the putting folks on blast? seems a conflict of prioritize. No?

Fakin the Funk
03-31-2013, 19:45
If the whole reason you're hiking the trial is to scoff at others you are definitely not hiking your hike. I'd chill out and hike it with an open mind, you'll find your preconceived notions are way off.

Good point. I am just in a real difficult part of my existence. I would have tried this year but I was not ready. Sorry everybody

Rasty
03-31-2013, 19:45

I really dont care just think it is silly. Are u that weak that u cant carry a 40lb pack? Cmon man

I can and do carry 50#+ when hiking with my kids but prefer to carry around 25# when solo. Have I passed you test for manliness? My life won't be complete without your approval so try not to hurt my feelings!

BirdBrain
03-31-2013, 19:46
I can and do carry 50#+ when hiking with my kids but prefer to carry around 25# when solo. Have I passed you test for manliness? My life won't be complete without your approval so try not to hurt my feelings!

Okay, I will call you out. I don't think those chicken ankles can bear up under 50#. :)

Fakin the Funk
03-31-2013, 19:47
Kinda mad at the world, again sorry. Did not mean to be such a douche. I am just ready to get the hell off the grid for awhile

Rasty
03-31-2013, 19:47

Okay, I will call you out. I don't think those chicken ankles can bear up under 50#. :)

Can so! :D

Malto
03-31-2013, 19:48

for someone who spouted off HYOH, you sure are awful opinionated about what others carry. HYOH buddy, learn it, live it, hike it or smoke it.... Whatever walks your loafers!

Rasty
03-31-2013, 19:48
Kinda mad at the world, again sorry. Did not mean to be such a douche. I am just ready to get the hell off the grid for awhile

No problem!

rocketsocks
03-31-2013, 19:49
Kinda mad at the world, again sorry. Did not mean to be such a douche. I am just ready to get the hell off the grid for awhileCool, put some glide in your stride, and some dip in your hip, and stroll on off to the mother ship :cool:

yeah just funnin with ya dude...no worries, sounds like you just need to get away for a bit, we all get that way!

rocketsocks
03-31-2013, 19:53
I can and do carry 50#+ when hiking with my kids but prefer to carry around 25# when solo. Have I passed you test for manliness? My life won't be complete without your approval so try not to hurt my feelings!Fiddty lbs. is a lot for my narrow azz, my butt would be on one side, and my shoulders on the tother, limpin down the trail on the rim...oouch!

BirdBrain
03-31-2013, 19:56

Okay. You win. How can I argue that superior reasoning? ;)

Fakin the Funk
03-31-2013, 19:57
What are everybodys reasons for hiking the trail. I know mine, just curious about others

BirdBrain
03-31-2013, 20:00
What are everybodys reasons for hiking the trail. I know mine, just curious about others

Thread drift alert. You ought to start a thread to that effect or do a search in Whiteblaze. It is a valid question and an interesting topic. Just giving a heads up. A moderator will be doing their job soon if we drift too far.

Malto
03-31-2013, 20:01

The same way my kids do.... Nuhuh.........yahuh.......nuch uh.....yahuh. (No clue if that's how you spell it.)

funkin, you'll find folks here are somewhat like a dysfunctional family. I'm the uncle they keep in the attic.

Rasty
03-31-2013, 20:19

Told you so.

MuddyWaters
03-31-2013, 20:37

Its not about being able to carry weight or not.
Its about being able to enjoy your hike more.

Rasty
03-31-2013, 20:44

Its not about being able to carry weight or not.
Its about being able to enjoy your hike more.

Your making too much sense.

Sclark9082
03-31-2013, 21:12
folks, can we bring it down a notch. I got the point being made by a few adamant replies. I'm well over the age of living off my parents, and I'm starting this journey of my own because I did my dues. Raised my family, put in my time in a career and got the sign off from spouse. Which is still very supportive of my plans. I possibly did not frame my question in the best way, but from all the responses I get the idea and appreciate the range of input. That was what I was looking for. I haven't read all the posts in all the different topics here on Whiteblaze, but I am expanding and learning.

SunnyWalker
04-01-2013, 00:11
Sclark: To answer your question, maybe someone might well frown upon you cuz you're not an ul hiker. Yep, could happen. I've been given unwanted advice on the trail. I remember the next stretch went pretty fast so maybe the person did me a favor? It's part of life, people "bumpin' their gums" and all. Let it go, don't worry about it, have a laugh over it.