PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 7 day section to hike May 11-18

Meghanner
03-30-2013, 22:12
I'm looking for some suggestions for a section of trail to hike in mid-May. I'm a strong hiker (former ultra trail marathoner) easily averaging 20miles/day and will be hiking solo. Any suggestions?? I want to maximize travel and beauty, hopefully meeting some great folks along the way! Thanks for your help :)

Slo-go'en
03-30-2013, 22:30
It's hard to beat North Carloina/Tennesse at that time of year. Sweeping vistas from the balds before the summer haze sets in, lots of wild flowers, flowering bushes and trees.

There are a number of possible sections to choose from.

A favorate of mine is half way through the Smokey Mountains (New Found Gap) up to Erwin, NC. That's 134 miles or about 20 MPD over 7 days. We're assuming you have 7 full hiking days. You'll be a little behind the major NOBO packs, but there will still be pleanty of hikers around. Unfortunately, these places aren't the easiest to got to or from via public transportation.

134 miles might be a little ambitious, so a shorter option would be from Hot Springs to Erwin or little beyond.

BobTheBuilder
03-30-2013, 22:35
If you're doing that many miles, you might want to figure out where the thrus will be, just to have some people to hike with.

Tree Nerd
03-30-2013, 22:47
Trail Days in Damascus is that weekend. If your interested in that try to hike the AT north or south into Damascus.

johnnybgood
03-30-2013, 23:07
19E Roan Mtn,TN north to Damascus is about 75 miles.

Cookerhiker
03-31-2013, 07:26
It's hard to beat North Carloina/Tennesse at that time of year. Sweeping vistas from the balds before the summer haze sets in, lots of wild flowers, flowering bushes and trees. ...A favorate of mine is half way through the Smokey Mountains (New Found Gap) up to Erwin, NC. That's 134 miles or about 20 MPD over 7 days. We're assuming you have 7 full hiking days. You'll be a little behind the major NOBO packs, but there will still be pleanty of hikers around. Unfortunately, these places aren't the easiest to got to or from via public transportation.

134 miles might be a little ambitious, so a shorter option would be from Hot Springs to Erwin or little beyond.

This is a great hike for May. You'll see vistas, wildflowers, rushing creeks - very enjoyable. Keep in mind you must make shelter reservations for the Smokies and there's a fee. If you're accustomed to 20 mile days, you can do this.

BTW, Erwin is in Tennessee.

Meghanner
03-31-2013, 08:06
Thanks everyone! So very helpful. Sounds like a beautiful section. I'll look into it :)

bigcranky
03-31-2013, 08:11
Stopping at Erwin means you miss out on the big NC balds at Roan. I'd suggest starting at US 19-E and hiking south as far as you want. You can stop at Erwin, Hot Springs, or Davenport Gap. That is a perfect time of year to hike NC and TN.