PDA

View Full Version : When will it finally warm up?

Praha4
03-31-2013, 09:38
Believe it or not, spring is just around the corner on the east coast .

After another arctic cold front early this week...with temps 10-15 below average Mon and Tuesday.... the Weather Channel predicting a big shift in the jet stream... and 2nd week of April, temps will be 10-15 degrees above average on the east coast, maybe 80s in the Ohio valley.

http://www.weather.com/video/when-will-it-finally-warm-up-35867

Spring is coming soon!

Slo-go'en
03-31-2013, 12:04
It had better stay chilly here in NH for at least another week or there won't be much real Maple syrup again this year. It's running about 25% of "normal" right now. I help out at a local suger hourse a friend of mine owns. It's fun and I get a get paid with a quart of syrup :) Today will be an off day, tomorrow we'll do another boil.

Dogwood
03-31-2013, 12:13
When will it finally warm up?In Panama City FL, it usually starts really warning up about 8 a.m. Here is some sun to help in the mean time :sun:sun:sun Look at those suns. See them glowing bright yellow like a warming fireplace. See the sun's warming rays. Feel the warmth in the heat. You live in the SUNSHINE state. Feel warmer now.

pelenaka
03-31-2013, 15:51
August.

Soon I hope we're down to half a cord of poor Maple firewood. I actually don't mind Winter for hiking or camping. It's cool wet muddy Winter a.k.a. early cold muddy Spring I hate.
Here doggie doggie come on August.

Waynesboro
03-31-2013, 16:38
It is starting to climb out of the frigid zone, here in the Shenandoah Valley. Within the next ten days, we will be bumping up against 70 degrees.

MontanaJoe
03-31-2013, 16:54
100% confident spring here in Montana will hit about the end of July! lol!

BradMT
03-31-2013, 17:33
100% confident spring here in Montana will hit about the end of July! lol!

Spring usually comes on a Wednesday here and Summer a day or two later...

Swordpen
03-31-2013, 17:33
Its 88 degrees here today, too hot & no shade, tent felt like an oven inside. :(

MontanaJoe
03-31-2013, 17:36

Dont I know it Brad! Will be out your way later in the year, so muddy here on the east side, and then the flurries today, ready for some warm!

chiefiepoo
03-31-2013, 17:44
Dont I know it Brad! Will be out your way later in the year, so muddy here on the east side, and then the flurries today, ready for some warm

Any conversation out there on the Going to the Sun road? I heading to Glacier NP the end of June instead of my usual August visit. I had heard that there was a lot of snow and the NP service was going to be late in opening the GTTS road due to sequester. Maybe not till mid July. News?

Odd Man Out
03-31-2013, 17:45

I recall one year spring was especially nice because it was on a weekend.

Odd Man Out
03-31-2013, 18:02
Yes it was a cold March

MontanaJoe
03-31-2013, 19:42
Dont I know it Brad! Will be out your way later in the year, so muddy here on the east side, and then the flurries today, ready for some warm

Any conversation out there on the Going to the Sun road? I heading to Glacier NP the end of June instead of my usual August visit. I had heard that there was a lot of snow and the NP service was going to be late in opening the GTTS road due to sequester. Maybe not till mid July. News?

I will see what I can find out, I know the folks at YNP took up a collection to get some of the roads plowed, not sure about GNP, but unless they have, I doubt that road will see much, if any love for sure.

Chaco Taco
04-01-2013, 06:09
It had better stay chilly here in NH for at least another week or there won't be much real Maple syrup again this year. It's running about 25% of "normal" right now. I help out at a local suger hourse a friend of mine owns. It's fun and I get a get paid with a quart of syrup :) Today will be an off day, tomorrow we'll do another boil.

Looks like the last cold blast is coming later today, but spring looks to arrive down here this weekend. Its funny driving around here with the buckets attached to the trees. I have never seen that before. :)

Ox97GaMe
04-01-2013, 10:04
Chaco, where are they gathering the Maple sap? I wasnt aware that they did that in the south. Ive only seen that done in the NorthEast (Mainly Vermont) and Midwest (Mainly Michigan). I would love to take the kids somewhere to watch them cooking down the sap and making syrup and maple sugar candy. :)

Ox97GaMe
04-01-2013, 10:08
Chaco, I just realized that you are in NH. I once talked to some of the locals in central NH. They said that they could tell spring was just around the corner based on the snow pack on Mt Washington. Apparently, when you look at the Tuckerman's Ravine area from the highway, the snow pack forms the shape of the number '7' when it has melted in early spring. The locals say that the '7' signifies that it is time to start planting their gardens. :)

Waynesboro
04-01-2013, 10:31
Maple syrup is made from tree sap gathered in buckets in many places, even here in Virginia. Highland County has an annual Maple Syrup Festival every year (in March). They are a couple of hours west of Waynesboro. That area has the added bonus of a lot of trout farms. I once stayed at the hotel on Main Street in Monterey, VA, which has a restaurant downstairs, and had the best Maple-crusted trout that I have ever eaten. It was also the ONLY Maple-crusted trout that I've ever eaten, but that does not detract from the deliciousness. ;-)

Odd Man Out
04-01-2013, 11:53
Last year, our freakishly hot March caused premature budding of all the fruit trees and Michigan lost pretty much its entire fruit crop. So a cold March has been a good thing for lots of people. Remember to thank a farmer next time you want to eat!

tiptoe
04-01-2013, 12:10
It's still brisk in Connecticut, which is preferable to last March, which was incredibly warm and the fruit trees had already bloomed when frost struck. Days have been in the 40s, with nights in the 20s here.

redseal
04-01-2013, 13:34
I was out this past weekend in New York. I was in shorts and a T-shirt and got a suntan to prove that Spring is right around the corner!

Slo-go'en
04-01-2013, 14:01
Chaco, Apparently, when you look at the Tuckerman's Ravine area from the highway, the snow pack forms the shape of the number '7' when it has melted in early spring. The locals say that the '7' signifies that it is time to start planting their gardens. :)

Actually, the "7" is in King ravine, on the north west side of Mt Adams, which is seen from RT2 as you crest the hill in Randolph. I'm a little too far to the east to see it directly from my house, have to go down the road a piece. There was a slide a few years ago which wiped out part of the top of the 7, so it's not quite as distinct as it used to be. The saying is when you can't make out the 7 any more, it's safe to go swiming. You can start planting your garden when the 7 becomes the dominate feature on the side of the ravine. It looks like it will be the end of April or early May before we can see the 7 come out and well into June before all the snow making up the 7 is gone.

Slo-go'en
04-01-2013, 14:04
BTW, here's the suger house a friend of mine owns and I help out at. Come up and visit - but do it this week as it might be all over by next week :(

Namtrag
04-01-2013, 14:25
Not sure where the OP got info from, but here in Va Beach, our highs in the second week of April are predicted to be in the low to mid 60's. This week we will be in the low 50's most of the week, which is our normal high in February.

Mid 60's is pretty nice, but we should have been there 3 weeks ago!

Pedaling Fool
04-01-2013, 14:55
It's all about the jet stream, here in Florida I think we've finally seen the last of it dipping down here, but not so much for you'll up north, but you shouldn't have too much longer to wait.

Namtrag
04-01-2013, 15:03
It's all about the jet stream, here in Florida I think we've finally seen the last of it dipping down here, but not so much for you'll up north, but you shouldn't have too much longer to wait.

I hope so...it's been stuck in the same place for quite some time!

MontanaJoe
04-01-2013, 15:24
For the fella interested in the plowing status at Glacier, here is a link.

http://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/roadstatus/roadstatus.cfm