PDA

View Full Version : Different purposes of drinking straws for a hiker:

Kookork
03-31-2013, 11:09
Here is a video of one of my favorite YouTube channels " Intense Angler" which shows different usage of drinking straw for hikers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiB9kUPRXZ4

I carried a straw for a long time not knowing how versatile it is

I might add just two more to the list :

1- Drinking from small streams is much easier and cleaner with a straw

2- Blowing air to small fire especially a wood burning stove is easier with using a straw and you can avoid filling lightheaded using it.

magic_game03
03-31-2013, 11:45
Awesome video Kookork. Thanks for posting.

Dogwood
03-31-2013, 13:40
All those Intense Angler vids taught me something. Magic game, if you thought the soda straw vid was awesome check out this guy's other vids I've somehow missed this guy. He comes up with more innovative uses for so may things that I've seen only from a more limited perspective. As many times as I've seen the soda straw storage idea used for storing pills, spices, and powders I have never made the connection how this could be applied to carrying olive oil. So much easier, less costly, and more compact doing this than carrying bottles of EVOO, even small plastic bottles, or carrying more expensive prepackaged packets. I really like the way he sees things through, how he clearly communicates, and is clear in his vid shooting. I watched several of his well done vids. After seeing the chemically activated hand warmer vid he gave me two new ideas how they could be used.

Thanks for sharing that Kookork!

Feral Bill
03-31-2013, 14:28
That is brilliant! I'm trying it out later today. You can also use a straw to make a musical instrument. Flatten one end with your teeth and blow into that end. You now have a tiny, really annoying oboe. Cut to length to change the pitch.

Dogwood
03-31-2013, 14:32
You now have a tiny, really annoying oboe.

Must remember that one when I want to have a shelter to myself:D

Loneoak
03-31-2013, 14:59
Awesome video, thanks for sharing

Kookork
03-31-2013, 15:44
All those Intense Angler vids taught me something. Magic game, if you thought the soda straw vid was awesome check out this guy's other vids I've somehow missed this guy. He comes up with more innovative uses for so may things that I've seen only from a more limited perspective. As many times as I've seen the soda straw storage idea used for storing pills, spices, and powders I have never made the connection how this could be applied to carrying olive oil. So much easier, less costly, and more compact doing this than carrying bottles of EVOO, even small plastic bottles, or carrying more expensive prepackaged packets. I really like the way he sees things through, how he clearly communicates, and is clear in his vid shooting. I watched several of his well done vids. After seeing the chemically activated hand warmer vid he gave me two new ideas how they could be used.

Thanks for sharing that Kookork!

You are most welcome Dogwwod.
John(Intense angler) has a series of videos named "Tip of the week". They are all great tips .

Teacher & Snacktime
03-31-2013, 18:05
This is absolutely brilliant!