PDA

View Full Version : Easter

daddytwosticks
03-31-2013, 11:13
Happy Easter ya'll. Spring is soon to come. :)

magic_game03
03-31-2013, 11:20
Funny how growing up doesn't change you. When I was little I loved hunting easter eggs, now I love hunting for trail magic at road crossings and shelters. Nothing like coming across a can of beer tucked in some leaves at a wilderness road crossing or an empty shelter when you haven't had one for a few days.

Mountain Mike
03-31-2013, 11:28
Many years ago after a nero at now defunct Rainbow Springs CG, as we departed the owner came out. Wished us a Happy Easter & gave each of us a colored egg. It's the little things than mean so much.

Dogwood
03-31-2013, 11:42
OOOHH, that's a bad bad word to some these days. It's a word that some would not want us to use possibly because it congers up the thought of Jesus Christ's glorious triumphant Resurrection from the grave after paying the price for the sin of mankind. HAPPY EASTER to all.

HikerMom58
03-31-2013, 12:02
OOOHH, that's a bad bad word to some these days. It's a word that some would not want us to use possibly because it congers up the thought of Jesus Christ's glorious triumphant Resurrection from the grave after paying the price for the sin of mankind. HAPPY EASTER to all.

Well, Easter is really not any different from Christmas. You can celebrate the true meaning, for some or choose santa claus or the easter bunny. It's a choice that we all have to make. I'm going with- Jesus Christ's glorious triumphant Resurrection from the grave after paying the price for the sin of mankind. HAPPY EASTER to all. :)

PosterNutbag
03-31-2013, 14:52
dogwood you seem angry from your post, giving me bad vibes on easter man! enjoy yourself!

Loneoak
03-31-2013, 15:01
Happy Easter to you as well :)

Dogwood
03-31-2013, 15:34
I'm human too. I do get angry about some things. I will not complacently let others dictate to me what I should believe or, no matter how hard they try, to belittle or keep certain beliefs from being expressed. I have a great tolerance to other folk's beliefs, even when they are different than mine, but I ABSOLUTELY DO NOTICE a trend in this country and perhaps in some other countries where certain beliefs are being restrained from being fully expressed and other beliefs/opinions are being simultaneously espoused. That's just a form of intolerance I will not accept. You are absolutely right though, despite what I notice, I should enjoy myself. Thx PosterNutbag. HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY Easter.

Waynesboro
03-31-2013, 16:41
Have a blessed Easter, folks!

kayak karl
03-31-2013, 16:41

happy easter :)

BirdBrain
03-31-2013, 17:03
Happy Resurrection day.

Job 19:25 "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth"

Mags
03-31-2013, 17:53
Well, Easter is really not any different from Christmas. You can celebrate the true meaning,

Fertility? ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%92ostre

Or, if you had my upbringing it meant roasted lamb with garlic and rosemary, stuffed shells, stuffed artichokes, and of course ricotta and/or rice pie for dessert. That's in addition to the soup, cold cuts, cheese, nuts, fruit, pizzelle, marinated broccoli.......

Yummy...

daddytwosticks
03-31-2013, 17:57
Did not wish to cause any discontent. I wish well to all. Just stay away from the marshmallow peeps...:)

Deer Hunter
03-31-2013, 18:04

happy easter :)

Like.....................

Odd Man Out
03-31-2013, 18:07
Daughter, her fiancee, and great friend I haven't seen in 4 years all came to visit for the weekend.
How great is that?

BirdBrain
03-31-2013, 18:36
Fertility? ;)

Or, if you had my upbringing it meant roasted lamb with garlic and rosemary, stuffed shells, stuffed artichokes, and of course ricotta and/or rice pie for dessert. That's in addition to the soup, cold cuts, cheese, nuts, fruit, pizzelle, marinated broccoli.......

Yummy...

Yup. Agreed. Easter is not a Christian holiday. That is why we have bunnies and eggs on that holiday. It is about fertility and such. That is why I refer to it as the Resurrection Day. The one time the word Easter is mentioned in the Bible is in Acts 12. It was a holiday that Herod (not a Christian) was concerned with. Easter predates Christ's resurrection. However, the Passover, a picture and predictor of Christ's resurrection, predates Easter. It is almost like someone knew the importance of this date and tried to replace what was to come before it happened. I will let you guess who that person was. I will give you a hint. The Rolling stones wrote a song about him.

Mags
03-31-2013, 18:43
However, the Passover, a picture and predictor of Christ's resurrection, predates Easter.

Mmm..Matzah ball soup, gefilte fish and brisket!

I love the holidays!

/my close friends are Jewish
//I was over there for Passover last Monday
///We were too busy enjoying the yummy food and wine to really get into a discussion about Christianity for some reason :D

ps. Rolling Stones song? What does Slim Harpo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVJUJxCQp0I)have to do with Easter or Passover ?????? ;)

BirdBrain
03-31-2013, 19:03
Mmm..Matzah ball soup, gefilte fish and brisket!

I love the holidays!

/my close friends are Jewish
//I was over there for Passover last Monday
///We were too busy enjoying the yummy food and wine to really get into a discussion about Christianity for some reason :D

ps. Rolling Stones song? What does Slim Harpo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVJUJxCQp0I)have to do with Easter or Passover ?????? ;)

I think you know which song I meant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBecM3CQVD8

Your point about Easter is valid. Christians are lazy in calling the commemoration of the Lord's Resurrection as Easter. It has nothing to do with Easter. It is sad that we do not follow the facts to where they end. We take what facts we like and disregard what we do not like. A similar thing happens at Christmas. I won't bored or debate this beyond the following. If you read and study God's Word (which I do every year), the whole picture is seen. Of course, if you do not take God's Word as an authority, this whole debate is meaningless. During the Passover, blood of a lamb was put on the doors of those who believed that the death angel would take the 1st born son of all that did not do this. This predated Easter by a long shot. Many years later God's only begotten Son was offered up as the sacrificial lamb that we who believe would not die, but have everlasting life. Someone else read God's Word and believed God's Word and created a holiday to confuse people of the history and predictions. He has done a pretty good job fooling many, including Christians into calling this event Easter.

Enough on this though.

HikerMom58
03-31-2013, 19:39
Fertility? ;)

Yummy...

I stand corrected, Mags. ;) In my upbringing, Easter meant Resurrection Day like BB explained. We also celebrate with bunnies, eggs etc... I love those marshmallow peeps but I like them best when they aren't so soft. We open up the package and let them sit for a while, until they get stale..... yummmm!!!

Mags, all the food y'all prepare sounds simply wonderful!! Yummy!!! :) I just ate some Chocolate Eclair Cake... :banana

WingedMonkey
03-31-2013, 20:27
Time to celebrate the Inquisition and the thousands that were tortured and killed for not believing in dead men walking.

Deer Hunter
03-31-2013, 20:28
Daughter, her fiancee, and great friend I haven't seen in 4 years all came to visit for the weekend.
How great is that?

Sounds great!

Deer Hunter
03-31-2013, 20:30
I stand corrected, Mags. ;) In my upbringing, Easter meant Resurrection Day like BB explained. We also celebrate with bunnies, eggs etc... I love those marshmallow peeps but I like them best when they aren't so soft. We open up the package and let them sit for a while, until they get stale..... yummmm!!!

Mags, all the food y'all prepare sounds simply wonderful!! Yummy!!! :) I just ate some Chocolate Eclair Cake... :banana

I'm envious!

BirdBrain
03-31-2013, 20:36
Time to celebrate the Inquisition and the thousands that were tortured and killed for not believing in dead men walking.

To each their own. I will be celebrating forgiveness, grace, and victory. You can glory in the horror and stupidity of wicked men if you like.

Slo-go'en
03-31-2013, 20:38
The easter bunny is a reminent of the original pagan fertilaty rite celebrations which occured on the spring equanox, signifying the rebirth of the Earth from the dead of winter. As Christians advanced into Europe, it was found to be eaiser to co-op these pagan holdays and re-purpose them then to try and suppress them all together. Same goes for Christmas.

BirdBrain
03-31-2013, 20:41
The easter bunny is a reminent of the original pagan fertilaty rite celebrations which occured on the spring equanox, signifying the rebirth of the Earth from the dead of winter. As Christians advanced into Europe, it was found to be eaiser to co-op these pagan holdays and re-purpose them then to try and suppress them all together. Same goes for Christmas.

Read earlier posts. I am a Christian that agrees with you. You are stating fact, but leaving out the earlier history. Moving on and not coming back to this thread.

Mags
03-31-2013, 21:08

That was more Grandma than me. An amazing cook and equally impressive baking skills. (Though I am baking a pastiera as I type!)

Easter was one of two favorite holidays. (The other being Thanksgiving). Some wonderful food and being with the family. An mass that day was like something out of an Andew Lloyd Weber musical! :)

Now I gotta learn make some stuffed artichokes one of these years...

HikerMom58
03-31-2013, 23:14
I'm envious!

I'll make it for you, sometime! :) It's easy!

To each their own. I will be celebrating forgiveness, grace, and victory. You can glory in the horror and stupidity of wicked men if you like.

I'm right with you on the celebration...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtS7UuNI2Vk

There is reason to celebrate.....:) The reason, like WM described, is why He came.....

That was more Grandma than me. An amazing cook and equally impressive baking skills. (Though I am baking a pastiera as I type!)

Easter was one of two favorite holidays. (The other being Thanksgiving). Some wonderful food and being with the family. An mass that day was like something out of an Andew Lloyd Weber musical! :)

Now I gotta learn make some stuffed artichokes one of these years...

Again Mags, it all sounds really wonderful!! :) I wish I could cook and bake like your Grandma. Sounds like you have some of her talent, for sure!

Another Kevin
03-31-2013, 23:25
Hallelujah, Christ is risen!

Astro
03-31-2013, 23:30
Many years ago after a nero at now defunct Rainbow Springs CG, as we departed the owner came out. Wished us a Happy Easter & gave each of us a colored egg. It's the little things than mean so much.

MM, Glad they treated y'all better than Bill Bryson. Perhaps they could tell you were "real AT thru-hikers". ;)

Tuckahoe
03-31-2013, 23:30
And it went the other way as well. As pagans conquered former Roman provinces, they found it was easier to pacify the Christians and secure their rule by converting to the Roman religion.

double d
03-31-2013, 23:32
Funny how growing up doesn't change you. When I was little I loved hunting easter eggs, now I love hunting for trail magic at road crossings and shelters. Nothing like coming across a can of beer tucked in some leaves at a wilderness road crossing or an empty shelter when you haven't had one for a few days.
You quote brings back some great memories, of Easter and trail magic that I've experienced!

Astro
03-31-2013, 23:33
Yup. Agreed. Easter is not a Christian holiday. That is why we have bunnies and eggs on that holiday. It is about fertility and such. That is why I refer to it as the Resurrection Day. The one time the word Easter is mentioned in the Bible is in Acts 12. It was a holiday that Herod (not a Christian) was concerned with. Easter predates Christ's resurrection. However, the Passover, a picture and predictor of Christ's resurrection, predates Easter. It is almost like someone knew the importance of this date and tried to replace what was to come before it happened. I will let you guess who that person was. I will give you a hint. The Rolling stones wrote a song about him.

BB, what translation is that? I have never seen the word Easter or Christmas in any Bible.

Tuckahoe
03-31-2013, 23:37
Speaking as a non-believer, is it really necessary to take a dump in a thread where Christians are offering their blessings to each other?

SunnyWalker
03-31-2013, 23:37
We are still causing problems in our history . . . that is, humankind. As for me, I celebrate Easter, He is Risen! He is risen indeed!

Odd Man Out
03-31-2013, 23:39
Speaking as a non-believer, is it really necessary to take a dump in a thread where Christians are offering their blessings to each other?

Not just Christians. My friend I hadn't seen in 4 years is a Muslim. We had a joyous time.

daddytwosticks
04-01-2013, 07:20
I'd wish you all a good morning, but some dipwad would turn it into an argument.

moytoy
04-01-2013, 07:39
I'd wish you all a good morning, but some dipwad would turn it into an argument.
You have just offended all the morning grumps.

Rasty
04-01-2013, 08:13

It's afternoon somewhere! No wait that's the excuse for drinking.

Good Morning.

redseal
04-01-2013, 13:35
I spent Easter on the trail this year. We bright Jelly Bellys to celebrate. So much flavor for a snack!

Mountain Mike
04-01-2013, 13:43
I spent Easter on the trail this year. We bright Jelly Bellys to celebrate. So much flavor for a snack!

All the Jellybeans I found on the trail were brown & tasted like crap.:confused::eek: