PDA

View Full Version : Initial Food Supply

matt923
03-31-2013, 12:05
I'm going to resupply along the route instead of using maildrops but how much food should I bring to start? 5 day supply?

Mountain Mike
03-31-2013, 12:07
You can resupply at Neels Gap 30 mile in from Springer. so 3 days or so depending if you do approach trail.

w00dchuck
03-31-2013, 12:10
Three maybe four days tops will get you to neels gap just fine. Then you can resupply there or run down to blairsville.

max patch
03-31-2013, 12:14
Take 3 days if starting at Springer; 4 if AFSP.

daddytwosticks
03-31-2013, 18:19
Just remember...if you are like me, in the beginning, the hard exertion of a hike usually shuts down my appetite. I've never been out long enough for the "hiker appetite" to kick in. You may not want to overdo with your food load the first few days. Smaller snacks more frequently in the beginning works for me. YMMV. Good luck. :)

rusty bumper
04-01-2013, 09:19
I started at Springer with 3 days worth and had food left over when I got to Neels Gap on the 3rd day. My "hiker appetite" didn't kick in until I was several weeks down the trail.

Bati
04-01-2013, 20:03
I assume you're Northbound. I planned on a faster trip, but ended up taking 5 days to get from Amicolola to Neels Gap. You never know what the weather will do, and it doesn't hurt to have an emergency meal in your pack. Just make sure you don't plan for too much food at the beginning- as stated, you won't have that killer appetite for a while. Mine started around Neels Gap, but it was cold and tough hiking that year.

Donde
04-01-2013, 20:11
If your mileage and comfort are OK with it, one CAN, carry 5-7 days, blow by Neels and head for Hiwassee. It will save you some money, but cost you some weight. In this case because Neels is right on trail, it won't save you any time.

MuddyWaters
04-01-2013, 22:22
You got plenty of answers.
99% of new hikers, (just a guess) will stop at Neel gap. Spend the night (or two) , take a shower, eat some real food, get a pack shakedown, buy some new gear, send 10lbs home, and resupply
Some will even get a cabin down the road at goose creek

You wouldnt think all that was necessary so soon, but the first 3-5 days is more eye opening for some, than others.

It all depends on your pack weight, experience, how well you know the miles you are capable of, how far you want to go, and how much food you are willing to carry.

Most new hikers stop at Neels Gap
Some can go on to Hiawassee
More experienced hikers carrying light base weights could make it to Franklin or NOC without re-supply.
But since mountain crossings is literally ON the trail, it makes no sense not to carry minimum food the first few days, and then resupply there.
You can send yourself a food drop there and save some $ and time, even if you dont do that anywhere else.

stranger
04-02-2013, 06:38
Neels Gap is 30 miles, from there Hiawasse is only another 36 miles, from there Franklin is about 40 miles...etc, I've never carried more than 4 days food between Springer and Pearisburg and I've made that trip twice. If it were me I would leave with 1.5 days food and arrive at Neels Gap for dinner on my second day, which is what I did in 2008. However in 1995, I left Springer with 3 days food, and did Stover, Gooch, Blood, then Neels...just depends on what you want to do.

Most people can hike 8 miles in less than 4 hours, so if you do plan on going slower in the beginning just be mindful that a lot of time will be spent sitting around camp, this can be good or bad depending on your preferences...for me it's bad. I think it makes more sense to train and get some experience then start out doing 15's than doing the 4 nights to Neels Gap thing, but that's just me.

Also remember Neels is likely to be jammed full but Blood Mountain Cabins next door does a hiker rate of like $60 and the cabins sleep 3 comfortably on beds. Can still shoot up to Neels for dinner.

Another Kevin
04-02-2013, 08:06
99% of new hikers, (just a guess) will stop at Neel gap. (...) You wouldnt think all that was necessary so soon, but the first 3-5 days is more eye opening for some, than others.

If it were me I would leave with 1.5 days food and arrive at Neels Gap for dinner on my second day, which is what I did in 2008. However in 1995, I left Springer with 3 days food, and did Stover, Gooch, Blood, then Neels...just depends on what you want to do.

Summary: Hike Your Own Hike.

That said, I'd lean more toward MuddyWaters's advice than stranger's. stranger's style suits an experienced hiker. Someone who's asking that question probably isn't conditioned nor experienced enough to be starting off with back-to-back 15-milers, particularly when there's the possibility of winter weather. A lot of people drop out because they overdo at the start and get hurt, but you almost never hear of someone dropping out because they don't make it north before the snow comes.

daddytwosticks
04-02-2013, 15:53
With regards to re-supplying food at Mountain Crossings...I dropped by this morning and I must say, they have quite an extensive supply/variety of trail food compared to previous years during thru-hiker season. I did not look too closely at the price. However, you are paying for convienience. :)