PDA

View Full Version : Is is easy or difficult to hammock south of Massie Gap near Mt. Rogers?

D'Artagnan
06-29-2005, 16:11
I'm planning a long weekend heading south from Massie Gap towards Mount Rogers in Virginia. I was curious if hammocking is a possibility or if the scarcity of trees would make tenting a more viable option. I understand north of Massie Gap tenting is prohibited in the Grayson Highlands section. This is part of my reasoning for heading south.

Any experienced advice would be greatly appreciated.

The Solemates
06-29-2005, 17:35
im not sure how far you are going, but there arent really any trees until you pass thomas knob shelter, unless you wander off the trail a ways to camp. of course thomas knob isnt very far from massie gap.

The Solemates
06-29-2005, 17:36
well actually there are a few trees near the intersection of the pine mtn trail once you gain the ridge before you get to thomas knob. either way...hammocking shouldnt be a problem.

Lugnut
06-29-2005, 17:45
Are you sure about the Massie Gap to Mt. Rogers thing. It will only take you a couple hours to hike that, not a whole weekend. No place for hammocks till you reach the pines just before Thomas Knob shelter that I remember.

jlb2012
06-29-2005, 19:58
I have hung my hammock a few times in the woody area just below the spring at Rhododendron Gap (approx where Pine Mtn. Tr. joins the AT) but other than that I think that there may be a few other small places that could be used for a hammock - of course the section just before Thomas Knob is also a good choice.

D'Artagnan
06-30-2005, 09:23
Thanks for the information. I guess I was just seeking reassurance that hammocking was possible south of Massie Gap. I'm not sure how far south I'll make it but it's good to know that there are options. Thanks again for all the help.