PDA

View Full Version : Southern Virgina

Graywolf
03-31-2013, 13:24
Hey People, planning another section hike through Virginia and looking for a good starting point near the N.C.-Virigina state line. Any suggensitons? I will most likely be coming by bus so need a trail head close to a trail town. Connecting trails are ok. May do a hook up with the Mountains to Sea Trail and head west to AT if I need to. Thanks and Happy Easter to all of you. Dont eat any green eggs..

johnnybgood
03-31-2013, 15:57
See if I understand this; you say that you're "hiking through Virginia" but may be interested in connecting the AT from the east my means of MST which is in North Carolina ? Not sure how to hook up with the AT from the MST north of the Smokies. But this I do know..

Greyhound services are in Marion,Va ,a mere 8 miles from Damascus; the trail town with an AT trailhead access. Shuttles from Damascus to pick you up at the bus terminal are numerous. Contact Lone Wolf or Mount Rogers Outfitters.

I'd suggest getting shuttled north to Atkins, 74 miles north and hiking south back to Damascus. Maybe someone can chime in with other options.

Slo-go'en
03-31-2013, 17:32
Just take the bus to Marion, VA. You get there about noon. Go get lunch from one of the many fast food joints near-by, then call a Taxie to drive you up to the trail head at Partnership shelter and start hiking north. The first shelter north is only a few miles and is pretty easy. About a week later you'll be in Pearisburg.

ratfaceraines
03-31-2013, 19:11
if you find yourself in and around pearisburg, in need of a shuttle, call don at 540-921-7433(RIDE). an alternative to greyhound would be megabus, go to megabus site. there is a stop in christiansburg(about 30 miles from pearisburg).

Southerner
03-31-2013, 20:32
Here are a few ideas:

1.) Ride Greyhound to Bristol, Tn. Walk, hitch, take a taxi, or get a shuttle to Abingdon, Va. (about 17 miles or so). Catch the Virginia Creeper Trail at its western terminus in downtown Abingdon, follow the VCT through Damascus to Whitetop-Laurel Gorge, then pick-up the AT just north of the Luther Hassinger Bridge (you could pick-up the AT in Damascus, but the VCT is prettier).
2.) Marion, as mentioned above. The town runs a shuttle up to the AT at the Partnership Shelter / Mt. Rogers Nat'l Rec. Area Hqs., but I think that's only during the northbound bubble.
3.) It puts you pretty far north, but Roanoke is a transportation hub. Roanoke is served by Greyhound, Megabus (via the Smart Bus from Christiansburg), AMTRAK (via an extension bus from the Lynchburg station), and Allegiant, Delta, US Air, and United airlines at Roanoke Regional Airport. The public bus (Valley Metro) can get you as close to the AT as the Hollins College area, from which it would be a short taxi or shuttle or modest walk to the AT at either Carvins Cove (via access trails) or US 220 (Daleville).

-- There's an error above as Marion is more like 40 miles from Damascus, not 8.
-- The MST doesn't do much for you if you are trying to hike in Virginia.

Slo-go'en
03-31-2013, 21:01
Another option which I have done several times is to take the bus to Marion, then head south to Damascus, but via the Iron Mountain trail. You can get to Damascus in 2 nights, 3 days that way. Then turn around and take the AT back north, which lets you go over the Garyson highlands, one of highlights of VA.

Depending on how much time you have, you can get off at Roanoak, Rockfish gap (Waynsboro) or go all the way to Harpers Ferry. Those are the three places where getting home from is relatively easy.

Graywolf
04-03-2013, 15:22
Thanks people. I know the mst is a lttle south from Va, it was just an alternative. My goal is to get to Harpers Ferry where my girlfriend will pick me up. I found a few numbers along with those given here for shuttle. So thanks.. Peace and fun hiking..

Alleghanian Orogeny
04-13-2013, 15:07
Here are a few ideas:

1.) Ride Greyhound to Bristol, Tn. Walk, hitch, take a taxi, or get a shuttle to Abingdon, Va. (about 17 miles or so). Catch the Virginia Creeper Trail at its western terminus in downtown Abingdon, follow the VCT through Damascus to Whitetop-Laurel Gorge, then pick-up the AT just north of the Luther Hassinger Bridge (you could pick-up the AT in Damascus, but the VCT is prettier).
2.) Marion, as mentioned above. The town runs a shuttle up to the AT at the Partnership Shelter / Mt. Rogers Nat'l Rec. Area Hqs., but I think that's only during the northbound bubble.
3.) It puts you pretty far north, but Roanoke is a transportation hub. Roanoke is served by Greyhound, Megabus (via the Smart Bus from Christiansburg), AMTRAK (via an extension bus from the Lynchburg station), and Allegiant, Delta, US Air, and United airlines at Roanoke Regional Airport. The public bus (Valley Metro) can get you as close to the AT as the Hollins College area, from which it would be a short taxi or shuttle or modest walk to the AT at either Carvins Cove (via access trails) or US 220 (Daleville).

-- There's an error above as Marion is more like 40 miles from Damascus, not 8.
-- The MST doesn't do much for you if you are trying to hike in Virginia.

I've only been on the VCT between Abingdon and Damascus a couple of times, and I was cycling rather than hiking or backpacking, but my distinct recollection is that the great majority of land crossed by the VCT between Abingdon and Damascus is private and that there are no shelters or designated camping areas of any kind. It's about 16 miles along the VCT to the western side of Damascus where the AT joins the VCT at the Red Caboose, so making that passage all in one day or doing some sort of stealth/trespassing camping would seem to be required.

AO