PDA

View Full Version : food supply after smokies?

03-31-2013, 20:54
So If you carry all your food through whole smokies, where can you resupply once through them? All the way to Hot Springs? Does that mean 7-9 days of food? Also what food for resupply is available at NOC?

bigcranky
03-31-2013, 20:57
There is a hostel just north of Davenport Gap that has pretty good resupply.

SunDancer
03-31-2013, 21:08
what food for resupply is available at NOC?
Not a lot of options at NOC - there's a small (seasonal) general store across from the NOC outfitter shop and the River's End restaurant (the trail runs between the two). Love the River's End, great view of the river. The only other option is a convenient store a couple miles down the hwy 19 towards Bryson City.

Slo-go'en
03-31-2013, 21:12
Standing Bear Farm Hostel is a must stop and you can resupply there for the couple of days it takes to get to Hot Springs. I typically time it to spend the last night at the Davenport gap shelter, then stop at Standing bear for lunch (and eat a whole 18" frozen pizza), resupply and head back out to Groundhog creek shelter. Just keep in mind that the climb up Snowbird is a stiff one. Most opt to spend the night at SBF and drink beer all day...

Ox97GaMe
04-01-2013, 09:58
As has been stated, not much for resupply at NOC unless you mail drop or try to get a shuttle into Bryson City (~12 miles). They do have the basics like Clif Bars and Mountian Smith dinners at NOC. There is also the possibility of basic resupply at Fontana villiage. There is a small general store there that can provide the staples like oatmeal, lipton dinners, candy bars, peanut butter, etc. Standing Bear is ~4 miles from Davenport Gap (1 mile from I-40 junction) and has good resupply. Fontana to Hot Springs typically takes 7 days for a normal thru hiker if they dont have weather delays or stop in Gatlinburg.

Ox97GaMe
04-01-2013, 10:01
The climb up SnowBird is not bad going North. It is long, but relatively gradual. The last half mile follows the old roadbed. It is mild compared to some of the other climbs you will have made before there, like Wayah Bald, Cheoah Bald, Shuckstack, Thunderhead, Clingman's.

max patch
04-01-2013, 10:03
Gatlinburg to Hot Springs is only 67 miles which is what we had to do way back when.

garlic08
04-01-2013, 10:28
Here's what worked for me. I got a ride from Stecoah Gap to Robbinsville where there's a full grocery and at least one good restaurant. I bought enough food there to get through the Smokies, about 85 miles. I stopped at Standing Bear for enough food to get to Hot Springs, about 30 miles. Bailing out to G-burg was an option if it wasn't going to work out, but it did. It was nice to skip both Fontana Village and G-burg, and just walk straight though. The cost was carrying food an extra 15 miles from Stecoah Gap to Fontana, but I judged it worthwhile.

RED-DOG
04-01-2013, 11:45
Standing Bear Hostel, about 2 miles north of I-40, after you pass I-40 on AT you come to a dirt road take left and walk about 200 yards on right can't miss it, but kinda exspensive, but it all depends on how many MPD you do, on my 2012 Thru-Hike i got resupplied at Fontana Damn and made it all the way to Hot Springs on 7 days of food.

peterbuilt89
04-01-2013, 12:33
I agree with Standing Bear Hostel it's a must stop, Curtis is a great person.

04-02-2013, 20:22
Great info all!!! thank you