PDA

View Full Version : Keeping pack with you at all times? In town?

Sclark9082
03-31-2013, 21:17
Just curious about in town stops, resupply shopping, restaurant visits. I see all these pictures, and people parking the packs outside with no one around. I'm mostly a trusting type, but really curious.

Chaco Taco
03-31-2013, 21:25
Just curious about in town stops, resupply shopping, restaurant visits. I see all these pictures, and people parking the packs outside with no one around. I'm mostly a trusting type, but really curious.
Lots of places have a designated areas for packs. Its good practice to ask as well. Unfortunately, theft happens and its a chance you take sometimes.

Malto
03-31-2013, 21:29
I hate leaving my pack out of my sight. Sometimes it unavoidable but usually I still keep it secure or at least within sight. The other thing to consider. Does anyone really want a bunch of stinking hiker stuff? Not as much as we think?

Slo-go'en
04-01-2013, 00:23
Generally not an issue. Just don't be stupid about it.

SCRUB HIKER
04-01-2013, 03:36
When I was on the AT, I knew that if I could smell my pack and think it was a bad smell, everyone else in the restaurant probably could too. I left it outside but somewhere visible whenever possible. It can be kind of scary because if you lose the pack, your hike is probably done unless you've got serious money saved up to replace everything. But in my opinion, you've basically got to suck it up and take the risk, because the alternative is to offend a lot of perfectly innocent townspeople.

Don H
04-01-2013, 06:25
I always threw my pack in the cart while shopping, never had anyone say anything to me about it.

daddytwosticks
04-01-2013, 07:10
Yesterday at the NOC, there were packs lined up on the bench right outside the River's End Restaurant, out of sight to their owners. Trusting thru-hikers. :)

leaftye
04-01-2013, 09:24
Take out your cash and gadgets and the rest isn't that appealing.

Waynesboro
04-01-2013, 10:16
Good topic of discussion! We need to find a solution to this issue for Waynesboro's visiting hikers. I'll talk to the folks at the tourism office.

garlic08
04-01-2013, 10:43
As said above, if a business is large enough to have carts, put the pack in the cart. The problem is so many small stores have aisles barely large enough to turn around in and a pack is a problem. Some diners are pretty tight inside, too and a pack is in the way. Always ask nicely if there's a place for the pack. If you have to leave it outside, put it in view of a window, remove everything you need to survive in town if the pack disappears, and buckle every strap around something to slow down a thief. If you're in a group, you can take turns watching packs.

It's not a big problem. Not many people prey on hikers for their valuable gear. The only theft I heard of on my AT hike was a pack someone left in a roadside park on the outskirts of a town for most of a day while he ate, shopped, drank, whatever. That's just asking for it.

Slo-go'en
04-01-2013, 11:05
The only theft I heard of on my AT hike was a pack someone left in a roadside park on the outskirts of a town for most of a day while he ate, shopped, drank, whatever. That's just asking for it.

And in that case, it is entirely possible someone thought it was abandoned and took it to the police station. Which leads to the next thought, it could be a good idea to leave some identification in or attached to the pack, like name, address and phone number.

RED-DOG
04-01-2013, 11:34
Keep your pack with you at all times, or atleast with in eye sight.

Tipi Walter
04-01-2013, 11:42
Have an 80 lb pack and no one will try to move it.

peterbuilt89
04-01-2013, 12:42
Yeah thats true Tipi but if I had an 80lb pack I wouldn't want to move it either.

Hot Flash
04-01-2013, 12:46
Good topic of discussion! We need to find a solution to this issue for Waynesboro's visiting hikers. I'll talk to the folks at the tourism office.

Get a few of these for the tourism office to loan out:

http://pacsafe.com/pacsafe-85l-backpack-protector

Another Kevin
04-01-2013, 19:25
Yeah thats true Tipi but if I had an 80lb pack I wouldn't want to move it either.

Preach it, brother!

If I was out for as long as Tipi Walter, in the conditions he goes out in, I'd need to carry a monstrous load like his. That's why I don't do week-plus unsupported trips in the middle of winter. :)

Sandy of PA
04-01-2013, 20:08
I try to resupply in a place with a motel, lock my pack in the room, then go see the town. Otherwise it stays with me.

Tipi Walter
04-01-2013, 20:11
Preach it, brother!

If I was out for as long as Tipi Walter, in the conditions he goes out in, I'd need to carry a monstrous load like his. That's why I don't do week-plus unsupported trips in the middle of winter. :)

Conditions sadly in the Southeast have turned benign and what winter we had is over. Last winter was even worse---the hottest on record. Sure, I can carry all the geese I want but will I really need it?

Another Kevin
04-03-2013, 11:08
Conditions sadly in the Southeast have turned benign and what winter we had is over. Last winter was even worse---the hottest on record. Sure, I can carry all the geese I want but will I really need it?

Hmm, I've been hearing about late-season snow in Georgia and the Smokies, with a lot of early-bird thru-hikers getting into trouble, Is it just that people got spoiled the last couple of years? I know up here that we had no winter to speak of this time - until February, when we started to get some that's now refusing to leave. A year ago, we had no winter at all. I did 4000-footers in March wearing T-shirt and shorts.

swjohnsey
04-03-2013, 11:19

Waynesboro is a great place. Maybe a system to "check" packs at the tourism office or the YMCA.

FatHead64
04-03-2013, 14:19

.................:banana

Astro
04-03-2013, 14:39
Yesterday at the NOC, there were packs lined up on the bench right outside the River's End Restaurant, out of sight to their owners. Trusting thru-hikers. :)

I took mine in with my with me when there. I guess I am not as trusting.

Astro
04-03-2013, 14:42

Tipi, on the types of trips you take during the winter, you many not run into that many people anyway. ;)

Tipi Walter
04-03-2013, 15:30
Tipi, on the types of trips you take during the winter, you many not run into that many people anyway. ;)

Del Gue: Jeremiah, maybe you best go down to a town, get outta these mountains.
Jeremiah Johnson: I've been to a town Del.

coach lou
04-03-2013, 16:17
You would probably hear the crane in the parking lot