PDA

View Full Version : No public laundromat in Kent CT.

rafe
06-29-2005, 16:14
Just so you know... It's still a pretty town, with nice cafes and internet access at the public library. I stayed at the Fife and Drum and did my laundry in the sink.

Footslogger
06-29-2005, 16:16
So ...they closed the laundramat that was across the parking lot from the Post Office ??

'Slogger

Dharma
06-29-2005, 17:04
Anyone know of another one nearby? I'm going up there for a few days next week and could shuttle hikers when I'm not hiking.

jackiebolen
06-29-2005, 18:38
I lucked out last year...as far as I could tell there was no place to take a shower or do laundry.

But one kind lady on the way back to the trail asked me if I needed anything. In a jiffy I was taking a shower at her house, wearing her clothes while she did my laundry, using her phone and eating icecream. Too good to be true! Trail magic happy times.

Minerva
06-29-2005, 18:42
When I first heard of this a couple of weeks ago, I called Backcountry Outfitters in Kent. They told me the nearest laundromat is in Sharon, Ct about 14 miles from Kent.
Cin

Lone Wolf
06-29-2005, 22:16
The horror! *** did Earl do back in the day?

Heater
06-29-2005, 22:23
Haha. :D

Drove the flies away with his stank? :bse

TakeABreak
06-29-2005, 22:32
I think this will answer the questions as to what is going on here! I copied this over from the online companion update.

Connecticut</H2>Page 128—Conn. 341/ Kent Update: The Laundromat is currently closed. The owner passed away and the business is in probate. Next available Laundromat is in Sharon, Conn.
June 8, 2005

neo
06-29-2005, 23:21
i did my laundry in kent in may 2004:cool: neo

jackiebolen
06-30-2005, 00:19
Neo...the real question is where?

A-Train
06-30-2005, 10:28

Probably got invited into someones home or knocked on a door of a local. Seems people were much more likely to take in hikers when there weren't thousands of them parading down the trail like now. :cool:

TOW
06-30-2005, 12:22
The horror! *** did Earl do back in the day?didn't he use just plain rocks and a stream LW????

TOW
06-30-2005, 12:23
I think this will answer the questions as to what is going on here! I copied this over from the online companion update.

Connecticut</H2>Page 128—Conn. 341/ Kent Update: The Laundromat is currently closed. The owner passed away and the business is in probate. Next available Laundromat is in Sharon, Conn.
June 8, 2005who wants to get in the clothes cleaning business????

TOW
06-30-2005, 12:24
i did my laundry in kent in may 2004:cool: neoand they were so clean that you framed them, didn't ya......

Footslogger
06-30-2005, 12:40
Hmmm ...was just thinking that if I lived up there I might look into converting that old laundramat to a hiker hostel (with laundry facilities, of course). Surprized that the local outfitter isn't jumping on that deal. Then again ...maybe the town folk don't want a hostel in Kent. Sure would be nice to have alternatives to the Fife & Drum and church hallway. Not that either of those are bad, but the F & D is a bit pricey. I stayed there in 2003 but pulled two other hikers in the room to split the rate.

'Slogger
AT 2003

TOW
06-30-2005, 16:30
Hmmm ...was just thinking that if I lived up there I might look into converting that old laundramat to a hiker hostel (with laundry facilities, of course). Surprized that the local outfitter isn't jumping on that deal. Then again ...maybe the town folk don't want a hostel in Kent.

'Slogger
AT 2003i think it's a good possibility, and i think the town would be very supportive.....

Lone Wolf
06-30-2005, 16:38
No money in it. Big taxes to own and operate a home/business in that town.

Footslogger
06-30-2005, 16:47
No money in it. Big taxes to own and operate a home/business in that town.======================================
OK ...I withdraw my bid then !! (but I still think it's a good idea)

'Slogger

TOW
06-30-2005, 21:21
No money in it. Big taxes to own and operate a home/business in that town.thats the truth of the whole situation...

TakeABreak
06-30-2005, 22:28
As far as the laundry mat goes, the probate thing should be settle by next year and since it has been operating all this time, It will probably just switch hands and re-open. Maybe we can talk the new owner into putting in a pay shower in for hikers, With not much else around that is in-expensive i would pay $5.00 for a shower.

On the hostel note, Just do as I am planning on my next hike, especially in the more expensive area's. Just camp a couple mile before town the night before you are planning on going in, get up early, go into town do laundry where you can, shower where they will let you pay and go, go to the post office and eat lunch, pickup groceries fuel what have you, leave town before in time to get to a camp site a couple of miles from town again.

That way you get everything done you need to and save the expense of having to pay high motel, hotel and B & B rates.

bco94
07-13-2005, 18:16
I own the outfitters in kent. The Laundromat is still in probate and will be probably thru the rest of this season. There is a line of people here in town that want to reopen it WITH showers!!!
We hope this will happen sooner rather than later. As far as lodging unfortunately 100.00 is the best there is. We've tried to open a hostel many times over the years but the $$$numbers just won't work.
Hope this helps.
Happy Trails.

max patch
07-13-2005, 18:24

Well, back in the day as you put it, he probably used the laundromat that used to be open as he slept in the field behind the P.O. which used to be open for t-hiker use. Free place to sleep...wonder what caused that deal to end?

TakeABreak
07-13-2005, 23:52
bco94, Glad to hear the part about with showers, that was my biggest disappointment in Kent in 2000, could not get a shower when I came through. I thought your store was great too, although I only bought a fuel canister and couple of little snacks from you store the service was great.

Dharma
07-01-2006, 16:03
Is there laundry in Kent this year? (2006)