PDA

View Full Version : Is Silnylon stretch/sag a big deal?

Willito
03-31-2013, 22:13
Hi All,
I am looking to lighten the load and purchase a new tent. FWIW I am 6'2" 185lbs. I have a few tents in mind, specifically the Tarptent Stratospire and the SMD Skyscape Scout/Trekker.
The question I have is, how much of a pain is dealing with silnylon stretching and sagging?
I've read quite a bit on lots of different sites, and several folks say you have to pitch your tent...retension 30 min later, then before you turn in, then sometime during the night the tent, depending on the weather, will need retensioning. Is this really the case with silnylon? Would the Skyscape Scout act in a similar manner being its made of polyester?
Thanks for your input, and if you have any experience with the skyscape or the stratospire feel free to chime in.
-Willito

Rasty
03-31-2013, 22:33
Just tighten it well the first time. Sil nylon needs to be really tight. It's tuff and won't tear. Under tightened tent may be why some have problems with tarptents.

MuddyWaters
03-31-2013, 22:52
No, the polyester SMD skyscape Scout, will not stretch and sag. Its the same material many conventional tents are made of, thats why its heavier.

The problem with silnylon for tent material, is that nylon absorbs moisture, and as it does so it swells. This causes the sagging and need for re-tensioning, due to humidity changes in evening, and especially when a storm comes.

It doesnt have to be that big a deal. The misting of some mfg's silnylon is more of a concern for many.
Sag may become a big deal if it compromises the weather integrity of the shelter though.
Such as an outer fly with condensation sags and touches an inner net, which then begins to drip onto you.
Or if you lose the fly coverage around a perimeter edge and it begins to drip into your floor.
Usually as long as you retension before bedtime, and at start of a rainfall, your good.

Some people use small lengths of surgical tubing or bungee cord as tensioners to keep tension on their silnylon shelter lines.
You can buy these. But its extra weight.

Slo-go'en
04-01-2013, 00:29
I'm crossing my fingers with the Skyscape Trekker, as that is the one I bought :) I'm hoping the design is pretty forgiving in regards to streach and sag.

aviator60
04-01-2013, 11:30
I've found the 1/8" shock cord (about 6" with a knot on each end) tied in-line with my guy-out (with two clove hitches) works really well. Adds probably about .75 ounces?

V Eight
04-01-2013, 12:19
I've found the 1/8" shock cord (about 6" with a knot on each end) tied in-line with my guy-out (with two clove hitches) works really well. Adds probably about .75 ounces?

+1 That's what I did. Problem solved.

bigcranky
04-01-2013, 12:32
If you have a silnylon shelter that uses one or two trekking poles for support, one way to deal with any sag is to set up the tent with the trekking poles a few inches too long, and put them at a slight diagonal (not straight up and down.) As the silnylon stretches a little, pull in the bottom(s) of the pole(s), which easily tightens the tent. We did this all the time with a Rainshadow and a Squall. Our Lunar Duo has main guy lines that can be tightened from inside the tent, which solves most of the issue, though I will make sure to tighten the four corners right before we turn in for the night.

Willito
04-01-2013, 16:42
Thanks for all the replies. I pulled the trigger today on the Skyscape Scout. It's quite a bit heavier than the trekker but it's such a bargain at antigravity($125 with groundcloth and ti stakes)that I could not pass it up. Maybe I will trade up to something cuben in the future to lighten the load. For now, this tent at ~34 oz lightens my pack up by several pounds.
Thanks again
-Willito