PDA

View Full Version : Solomon?

Spirit Bear
03-31-2013, 22:33
Does anyone hike with Solomon shoes and if so any feedback? Pros and cons that you have personally experienced?

Alligator
03-31-2013, 22:51
I've had a few pairs. I'm on a second pair of XA Comps. I like them a lot as they have been kind to my feet. I used to get terrible blisters on the back of my heel. These have stopped that. I particularly like the speed laces. Cons would be the mesh doesn't hold up particularly well. You get about average wear on them IMO.

I have a pair of winter boots too, these are awesome, very warm and comfortable. I don't have any cons for these boots. I've got them sitting on the radiator but I don't know the name, I will attempt to look them up.

SOBO_Pace
03-31-2013, 22:55
I wore the xr missions almost my whole hike. I did go through 3 pair. Their customer service is very good. I bought 2 pair and got two pair replaced. When I got done there was a new pair of shoe waiting at home for me that were free :D

MuddyWaters
03-31-2013, 23:03
I have not .
I have hiked with someone that did and he loved them.

I spent time trying on a bunch of trail shoes once.
The ones that felt best on my feet, were the Solomon XA Pro 3d, and shoes by Innov8 and New Balance.
I only point this out, to say that if you like the fit of one, you might like the fit of the others too.

I ultimately decided the Salomon was more shoe than I needed, and heavier than I wanted.

Wise Old Owl
03-31-2013, 23:06
I am a huge fan... good wear - they dry quick - had an older pair that was water proof - totally miss them... hands down better than NB.

Feral Bill
03-31-2013, 23:21
I've used them and been satisfied. Don't remember the model. More of a walking shoe than a trail runner.

SunnyWalker
03-31-2013, 23:41
I still have a pair of Salomon hiking boots. Will use them on part of the CDT this year. They are as one other said, hands down the best and most comfortable hiking boots I have ever used. I did end up just wearing one nylon sock when I wear these boots. They are that comfortable and believe it or not I never have experienced a blister while using them.

Odd Man Out
03-31-2013, 23:45
I am a huge fan... good wear - they dry quick - had an older pair that was water proof - totally miss them... hands down better than NB.

NB tend to fit me well. Do you feel that Solomons are cut similarly?

Wise Old Owl
04-01-2013, 08:59
thats a tough question at first I would say yes... but I don't get tied to a size number. I take fresh or new socks and try three different sizes at the store. Its hard to get boots that fit claws.

Alligator
04-01-2013, 09:29
NB tend to fit me well. Do you feel that Solomons are cut similarly?I wear NB "trail runner" type sneakers for every day use. I find that NB has quite a variety of cuts. I like this brand too but find I need to try on a variety of NB styles before I get the correct fit. The shoe stores do not always have the same ones whenever I need a new pair. The Salomon shoes I always remember the exact model because I have been very satisfied with them.

I know it is a little apples and oranges as I do not use the NB on trail, but I thought it might help a little to note the variety of cuts in the NB family.

treesloth
04-01-2013, 10:55
I don't by any means have flat feet, but I thought the arch support was a little extreme in the Solomon trail runners I ordered. I had to send them back... :( Everything else about them seemed comfortable and well made though.

bigcranky
04-01-2013, 12:33
I wore the XA Comps for years. Comfortable, great trail runners, but the last "new" version seemed even narrower than usual and I couldn't wear them.

Kraken Skullz
02-22-2014, 13:21
I have a pair of XA 3D Ultra 2s and my only complaint is that my left little toe rubs up against the area where the mesh begins and the rubber ends. I put in some moleskin to cover the area and give some cushion and hoping that it works out for me. They do dry incredibly well and the speed laces make it super easy to take them on and off. I hear La Sportiva are really good as well. Might make my next pair some of those to compare. I can honestly say that my Hi-Tec boots will never be worn again. Lost both of my big toe nails after hiking less than 25 miles in those. Pay the extra money and get something that won't cause serious foot damage.

HooKooDooKu
02-23-2014, 00:01
I was in the market for new boots last year. I had been having problems with blisters on my heals. I saw that the Salomon Quest 4D GTX had tons of good reviews... so they were one of the boots on my radar. I tried boots on in three smallish hiking stores in town, and the Quest felt the best out of the box of any I tried (cheaper as well as more expensive).

I've so far LOVED them. Where my old boots used to leave my feet feeling tired after about 8 miles, the Salomon still feel pretty good even after 12-13 miles (that's about as far as I can go in a day... at least in GSMNP).

Jacob Byrne
05-14-2014, 11:34
worn these for more than a year almost daily, hiked in them a too and I am a fan

globetruck
05-26-2014, 16:08
Salomon Quest 4D GTX are great boots - comfortable out of the box, fits my low volume feet w/ narrow heels but square-ish and wide toes (but still low volume). Good grip, durable despite some scruffs and normal wear & tear, still waterproof. Not the best for hot & humid conditions though.

Just ordered a pair of X ultra GTX that were on sale for $110 at REI.

Del Q
05-26-2014, 18:47
Love them, especially the lateral support. Front to back, super, but to me the side to side support is noteworthy. For whatever reason I used to roll my ankles on EVERY hike. Scary in the woods.

Not with Salomons, really solid.

One negative, my super feet will not fit in these low top shoes for some reason, oh well.

ScottTrip
05-26-2014, 20:49
I just finished 1/2 half of my thru hike in a single pair of Salmon 3 Ultra. I am now wearing my second pair, would recommend them to anyone.
In this photo they have 1068 miles.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/p403x403/10388078_741774402539788_198766132930465163_n.jpg? oh=9cc61151ecfb2cdd1b7afce3f2ef3aa7&oe=53E4A5EC

Sunshine82
05-27-2014, 09:38
Salamon synapse are amazing.they let your foot roll with a natural motion that happens while hiking unlike a regular running shoe

Nick P
05-27-2014, 10:21
[QUOTE=ScottTrip;1880458]I just finished 1/2 half of my thru hike in a single pair of Salmon 3 Ultra. I am now wearing my second pair, would recommend them to anyone.
In this photo they have 1068 miles./QUOTE]

WOW...that is quite a testimony! I am using these to start with on my ME>GA and was hoping to get 500 miles out of them!
Thanks for sharing.

Gambit McCrae
05-27-2014, 10:54
I have the "1083 miles worn" salamons and although they did great at keeping my feet dry they gave me some bad rub. I now have and have put on about 40 miles the supercross 3's LT and they have been great. I have superfeet in them, and no sore feet, no blisters on 20+ mile days. Best shoes I have worn on trail

WILLIAM HAYES
05-28-2014, 09:38
I hiked the 100 mile wilderness in Innov 8's liked them but my salomon ultras beat them hands down for comfort and staying power I think salomon makes the best hiking shoes on the market

SunnyWalker
05-28-2014, 10:10
Are you talking about Salomon boots? I have a pair of the boots and they are the best hiking boots I ever had. Never had a blister in them yet.

ChuckT
05-28-2014, 10:24
I think the discussion is about trail-runners. The boots retail for $230.00 at that price they better be good.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.

Old Grouse
05-28-2014, 11:25
thats a tough question at first I would say yes... but I don't get tied to a size number. I take fresh or new socks and try three different sizes at the store. Its hard to get boots that fit claws.

WOO, it's probably that halux that gives you the difficulty. Do you just cut a hole in the heel and let it stick out the back? That's what most of us birds do. - OG

witabi
10-11-2014, 12:28
Difficult to wear out if maintained properly. Own three pair currently including Ultra 3 and Quest 4D boots. Best recommendation is the fact that I prefer boots over trail runners for the safety factor. And Solomans are more easily dried after water crossings – or normal wear. Recommend heavy socks and nylon liners with any boot. And my first choice for inner soles are 'superfeet' orange.

ChuckT
10-11-2014, 13:03
With bi did you get the Suprfeet molded to your foot in the store? That is supposed to be the right way but I didn't find that out till I got home😠

wormer
10-12-2014, 09:34
I have a pair of XA Pro3D that have about 200 hiking miles on them, that are holding up well. They were purchased on Amazon for around $70, for the multi-color shoes. On Amazon the solid colors cost quite a bit more than my color. The thing I like the best about them is the soles perfectly match the trail for me. Just enough support to not over flex, but enough flex to bend for uneven surfaces. I have also a new pair of Salewa Firetail EVO that the Salomon's beat hands down, especially in design. The lacing on the Salewa's are thin string and eyelets compared to the excellent lacing system of the Salomon's. I have never had a problem with the laces coming loose on the Salomon's.

ZenRabbit
10-12-2014, 15:00
I just finished 1/2 half of my thru hike in a single pair of Salmon 3 Ultra. I am now wearing my second pair, would recommend them to anyone.
In this photo they have 1068 miles.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/p403x403/10388078_741774402539788_198766132930465163_n.jpg? oh=9cc61151ecfb2cdd1b7afce3f2ef3aa7&oe=53E4A5EC

Hahaha they don't look like that in the box, do they? :)

I have size 12EEE and high arches and the Salomon XA PRO 3D ULTRA is the best fitting trail shoe I've ever had. I just got a pair in that army green to backup the blue ones I've been wearing. I will be a very unhappy camper if they stop producing this shoe...

On a related note, if you have the wide foot and high instep, the Merrell Moab boots are also available in wide widths and offer more ankle support and are very grippy. I added a pair of Superfeet Green insoles and these boots are awesome for long days on your feet.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk4

SteelCut
10-12-2014, 15:50
I have the XA Pro 3D trail runners and I also have to say that they are best fitting trail shoe that I've worn. I had read some reviews indicating the were not durable and glad to see that ScottTrip got over 1000 miles on his. I'm hoping to get similar use out of mine.

Dogwood
10-13-2014, 08:11
I've used about 6-7 prs of various model Solomon trail runners(Low cuts) on various trails and have liked them all. They seem to last longer than all teh ASICS models trail runners I've also uses. The only two negatives with the Solomons I've used are the speed laces on one shoe snapped when realtively new and the protective toe bumper on another model as adhered in such a way that it pressed down unnecesssarilty so on my toenails.