PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ridge, GA to Springer Mtn

Trillium
04-01-2013, 11:08
Hi Northern Georgia Folks (DWM, fatman, etc)
We are planning to stay in Blue Ridge then drive to Springer. Not sure about best way to get there.

The forest service site says:
From Blue Ridge, GA – Go south on Aska Road to end (13.5 miles). Turn right on Newport Road, go 4.5 miles to end. Turn right onto Doublehead Gap Road; go 2.0 miles to (unmarked) USFS Road 42 on left (Mt. Pleasant Church on right). Turn onto USFS 42, drive 6.5 miles to AT crossing of Forest Road 42 and parking lot on left.

In looking at the Georgia map it seems that it might be better to take 2 east to 60 heading south to Doublehead Gap Road heading south to FS 42.

What do you think is the better route of the 2 above or another choice that you know about? Approximately how long?
Please keep in mind that we have an Impala.

TIA!

Tennessee Viking
04-01-2013, 12:01
Blue Ridge to E Elijay and south on GA 52 to Big Creek Road/DoubleHead Gap Road to USFS 42.

Trillium
04-01-2013, 12:37
Blue Ridge to E Elijay and south on GA 52 to Big Creek Road/DoubleHead Gap Road to USFS 42.Thank you very much Tennessee Viking! I appreciate your help!

BTW, is there any landmark to look out for where we turn onto Big Creek Road?

Gray Blazer
04-01-2013, 12:42
You may need to pimp out your impala ...

max patch
04-01-2013, 12:54
I would normally say Blue Ridge to Elijay to 52 etc but after looking at the map Aska Rd would actually be shorter. (Blue Ridge to Elijay takes you W and then you have to come back E whereas Aska basically heads S). (Ive never gone on Aska as I head up from the Atlanta area.)

The Impala will be fine.

An hour will be more than enough time to get to the fs42 parking lot.

generoll
04-01-2013, 13:24
I'd say GA 60 to Doublehead Gap Rd to FS 58 to FS 42.

Tennessee Viking
04-01-2013, 13:27
Most of big crossroads in that area will have the big DOT intersection signs with the road name. Google Maps has a Dollar General at Big Creek. And there is a brown USFS sign for the turnoff for 42.

42 is mostly graded and driveable but be careful. But with the traffic for thrus and day hikers, its easy to not have room on that road.

daddytwosticks
04-01-2013, 16:08
You may need to pimp out your impala ...

20860 ...looks like a Monte Carlo? :)

No Directions
04-01-2013, 21:18
Thank you very much Tennessee Viking! I appreciate your help!

BTW, is there any landmark to look out for where we turn onto Big Creek Road?
There is a Dollar General there. Plus the road is marked.

Trillium
04-03-2013, 07:02
Thank you again to all who answered. Thanks also to the mods for not deleting Gray Blazer's or daddytwosticks' posts. Sometimes a little levity is nice.

Next question. So, the hubby is going to slack pack me the first day. Then we'll be off to Dahlonega for the evening. Not sure how far I'll hike that first day, maybe to Hightower Gap, maybe to Horse Gap, maybe to Cooper Gap. I've been to Springer twice and so know what USFS 42 is like west of Springer. How is it east of Springer? Once my husband picks me up, what is the best way to Dahlonega, keeping in mind that we have an Impala, not a 4 wheel drive jeep type vehicle? Looking at the trail map I see the possibilities would be to take USFS 42 to USFS 55 and head south or to take USFS 42 all the way to 60 then head south through Woody Gap to Dahlonega. Will our vehicle be able to navigate those roads? What would you recommend as the best route.

TIA!