PDA

View Full Version : what is with the outdoor clothing fashion trend?

Chex Mix
04-01-2013, 12:19
As stated, any ideas why?

Hot Flash
04-01-2013, 12:32
As stated, any ideas why?

Well...why not?

Feral Bill
04-01-2013, 12:35
It makes money for the clothing makers. That's how the system works.

Mags
04-01-2013, 12:40
Outdoor clothing trend? I think that that has been going on for a long, long, long, long time.

Wool hunting coat:

http://www.filson.com/images/products/detail/10043-main-001.jpg

"Barn" coat. Also used for general outdoor use "back in the day" and is now a fashion item:

http://s8.thisnext.com/media/250x250/The-Original-Barn-Coat_33018140.jpg

SCRUB HIKER
04-01-2013, 15:01
I'm friends with a bunch of geology grad students and I make fun of them all the time for sporting the "base-layer chic" style. For them, a subtly conspicuous merino wool layer underneath a name-brand fleece is the height of fashion. I stand out because, even though I get outdoors as much as them, whenever I'm trying to look nice I'm usually wearing a more traditional setup--polos, button-downs, sweaters and whatnot.

I have no idea when this started. I suspect it's been going on longer out West than on the East Coast, because I grew up in Virginia and never really saw the REI-chic style there, but I notice it popping up now when I go back. Out here in Oregon, it seems like it's de rigueur and has been for awhile.

RedBeerd
04-01-2013, 15:41
I love wearing my REI pants with a black smart wool top. I HATE jeans. Maybe with this "trend" you can get function and fashion. That's a win win in my book.

RedBeerd
04-01-2013, 15:43
and this thread is absurd. Its another style. Some people wear jeans and sweatshirts. Some were running pants and a wind breaker. Some wear baggy sagged pants and XXXL tees. Some wear flannel. Who cares?

Offshore
04-01-2013, 16:01
I'm friends with a bunch of geology grad students and I make fun of them all the time for sporting the "base-layer chic" style

Hey, I was a geology grad student in Boston so I'll attempt a defense here... The life of a graduate student is basically that of indentured servitude. As grad students, we generally had little money for rent and food much less a clothing allowance. (Which may explain why married grad student classmates of mine lived in a tent on top of one of the academic buildings for a couple of months.) You needed decent field clothing for field work and since you could also wear it around campus, why not get the most use out of it? Even better was that clothing designed for the outdoors lasted a lot longer than the khakis and polos which was what the MBA students wore.

In the interest of full disclosure, now that I've become a desk-bound geologist, I'm sitting here khakis and a button down shirt...

MontanaJoe
04-01-2013, 16:24
I wear bib overalls almost everyday, I hope they make a comeback, then for once I will be the cutting edge of fashion lol!

Mountain Mike
04-01-2013, 16:26
They just want to emulate us & clothing manufactures produce the gear to live up to their ideals. The reality2086520866
Got me thinking now. Wonder if I can produce a shirt with those ingrained pack strap prints that only come with hundreds of miles of hiking?

Kingbee
04-01-2013, 17:05
Future fashion runway! Trimpi Shelter, Va.

leaftye
04-01-2013, 17:24
If it does the slightest to get those people to care about preserving our wild areas, then I'm all for it. Hey, how about that Yellowstone River?

Venchka
04-01-2013, 17:53
Somewhere, back in The Land Before Time, the "L.L. Bean Look" made the cover of Time.
There is nothing new.

Wayne

MuddyWaters
04-01-2013, 18:58
Real outdoor fashion, is long underwear bottoms under UL runnning shorts, with trail running shoes. For the top of the ensemble a synthetic or wool shirt with a fleece hoody, topped by a down vest or a windshirt.

Tree Nerd
04-01-2013, 19:05
I wear bib overalls almost everyday, I hope they make a comeback, then for once I will be the cutting edge of fashion lol!

hahahahahaha LMFAO!!!!

Yeah, Im real tired of this effing trend that people are in. Everyone has northface, marmot, and other DICK's brand outdoor clothing; especially jackets and backpacks. Its makes me pretty upset because I'm always on the lookout to find people that are into backpacking, mountain biking, kayaking, etc. and now its hard to tell who is real and who is fake. I spend more time outside and in the outdoors than any of these prissy college kids and I dont wear that stuff. Mainly because I cant afford it, otherwise I would because most of it is quality and warm as hell.

My main question is where in the world are these college kids getting the money for these cloths!?!? I have school, president of the forestry club, work 20 hours a week and I can barely get by, let alone get the little amount of outdoor clothing I need for my thru. It just makes me think everyone is sponsored by mommy and daddy.

rocketsocks
04-01-2013, 19:16
hahahahahaha LMFAO!!!!

Yeah, Im real tired of this effing trend that people are in. Everyone has northface, marmot, and other DICK's brand outdoor clothing; especially jackets and backpacks. Its makes me pretty upset because I'm always on the lookout to find people that are into backpacking, mountain biking, kayaking, etc. and now its hard to tell who is real and who is fake. I spend more time outside and in the outdoors than any of these prissy college kids and I dont wear that stuff. Mainly because I cant afford it, otherwise I would because most of it is quality and warm as hell.

My main question is where in the world are these college kids getting the money for these cloths!?!? I have school, president of the forestry club, work 20 hours a week and I can barely get by, let alone get the little amount of outdoor clothing I need for my thru. It just makes me think everyone is sponsored by mommy and daddy.Bunch of trust funders :D... I live in the same pair of nylon conversion pants I've had for 6 years now...they just wont wear out..i love em!

Tree Nerd
04-01-2013, 19:23
Bunch of trust funders :D... I live in the same pair of nylon conversion pants I've had for 6 years now...they just wont wear out..i love em!

**** I wish I had me one of them.

Im sporting the same jean pants that I have had for four years, nearly falling apart at every seam with a hole in the crotch, raggedy hiking boots, whatever shirt is clean, crazy beard, long hair and a bandana like rambo........and I wonder why the girls in northface fleeces look at me weird when I ask them if they are into backpacking :rolleyes:

MuddyWaters
04-01-2013, 19:26
Funny how the vast majority of posers wear NF. Its mostly cheap, recreational consumer gear today.
They do wear Patagucci, if they have more money.

They dont seem to wear many dead birds though
And I dont see any of them wearing Montbell.

Rasty
04-01-2013, 19:52
hahahahahaha LMFAO!!!!

My main question is where in the world are these college kids getting the money for these cloths!?!? I have school, president of the forestry club, work 20 hours a week and I can barely get by, let alone get the little amount of outdoor clothing I need for my thru. It just makes me think everyone is sponsored by mommy and daddy.Bunch of trust funders :D... I live in the same pair of nylon conversion pants I've had for 6 years now...they just wont wear out..i love em!

Not that many trust fund kids around. Mostly Americans use a Visa or Mastercard to look like a trust fund kid.

MuddyWaters
04-01-2013, 20:07
Not that many trust fund kids around. Mostly Americans use a Visa or Mastercard to look like a trust fund kid.

Gear has also gotten cheaper when sourced out of China, Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, India

I remember when I paid $100 for a "chea"p brand ski jacket 20 yrs ago. That would be like $250 today most likely
Today $129 gets you that low priced NF jacket with fleece liner jacket, that I couldnt afford back then.

Tuckahoe
04-02-2013, 07:27
Kinda funny folks getting upset over folks wearing outdoors fashion by non-outdoors sort or people... all the while many are sitting at their computer, in their office or classroom wearing working class clothing and not actually experiencing a lick of physical labor in their life. Blue jeans anyone?

Its just clothing, no need to get upset or to start a class war.

Mags
04-02-2013, 10:01
Kinda funny folks getting upset over folks wearing outdoors fashion by non-outdoors sort or people... all the while many are sitting at their computer, in their office or classroom wearing working class clothing and not actually experiencing a lick of physical labor in their life. Blue jeans anyone?

My Dad, a retired sheet metal worker, wore jeans and a polo shirt to work. (Tucked in).

Perhaps someone should start a tread about people wearing "office worker" clothing? :D

ps. I am wearing a light wool sweater today. Looks like I am trying to go for that outdoorsy look for a circa 1950s climber. Sigh.... ;)

aficion
04-02-2013, 10:15
Fashion speaks for itself as does function, only more sensibly. One is a human affliction, the other, a real need.

MrMiner2
04-02-2013, 10:15
Why care what other people wear?

keepinitsimple
04-02-2013, 12:48
Fake it til you make it

shakey_snake
04-02-2013, 13:06
Is it really any different than people dressing up like real, hardworking cowboys?

http://i.imgur.com/HehJGAz.gif

Manifest Destiny continues to be an important part of the American spirit.

leaftye
04-02-2013, 13:09
What's with people trying to dress up like football players?

daddytwosticks
04-02-2013, 15:38
Depends. No really, I'm wearing Depends. :)

Lemni Skate
04-02-2013, 15:47
I'm pretty sure dressing the way I dress when I'm hiking will NEVER come in style.

Tinker
04-02-2013, 15:50
What's with people trying to dress up like football players?

That's what men do instead of trying to sleep with them :D. (famous by association - a form of parasitism). :cool:

virginia jen
04-03-2013, 20:14
But thanks to that trend, the local Goodwill & Salvation Army stores have fantastic finds! All of my patagonia clothes (fleeces, capilene (even cap 4), my down vest (it's ll bean, but still nice), my convertible pants, and a ton others cost me probably a whooping total of twenty-five bucks. Gotta love the bargin :D

LIhikers
04-03-2013, 23:54
I too shop the second hand stores and have gotten some great stuff from backpacks to wool sweaters.

kayak karl
04-03-2013, 23:59
even the clothing at Goodwill is following the newer trends. haven't seen a naru jacket in years.

Marta
04-04-2013, 00:38
even the clothing at Goodwill is following the newer trends. haven't seen a naru jacket in years.

And that indestructible piece of clothing, the polyester leisure suit, would be a great find because it would look as good as it ever did.

moytoy
04-04-2013, 06:18
The rugged outdoorsy type. Marlboro capitalized on this for years. In college I had a slide rule clipped to my belt. The girls didn't pay me much attention. If I had it to do over again I would wear a buckskin jacket and tight jeans. Just sayin...

rocketsocks
04-04-2013, 07:14
Kids today buy there jeans with holes already in em :-?:confused:....I earned all my holes :cool:

Toli
04-04-2013, 07:34
Kids today buy there jeans with holes already in em :-?:confused:....I earned all my holes :cool:

​Yep... That one in ur head can only be "earned" RS... Love ya... Mean it :D...

Half Note
04-04-2013, 09:31
Who cares..."fashion" is a joke.

turtle fast
04-04-2013, 10:31
Waiting for hiking bell bottoms with large collared shirts I could hang glide with in a pinch. Has to be in funky colors not found in nature. Partridge family style of music too is a must to accompany.

Sarcasm the elf
04-04-2013, 11:39
Waiting for hiking bell bottoms with large collared shirts I could hang glide with in a pinch. Has to be in funky colors not found in nature. Partridge family style of music too is a must to accompany.Some years ago I read a backpacking guide that advocated wearing cheap polyester leisurewear instead of expensive pattagucci type clothes. They made reference to several highly accomplished mountaineers who routinely hiked on non-technical routes wearing polyester leisure shirts and pants that were bought for a dollar from thrift stores.

Sarcasm the elf
04-04-2013, 11:45
As stated, any ideas why?People usually dress in a way that associates them with the groups they fit in with (or want to fit in with) it's often a decision that we don't consciously realize we are making, but we do it. The same trend is also happening with women wearing you priced yoga clothes everywhere. It's not much different than when I wear dress shirts to be office and battered jeans to the barn, some of it is practical and some of it is to avoid looking out of place.

max patch
04-04-2013, 12:14
Same thing as people who buy 4WD SUV's and Jeeps and never drive them off the pavement.

Mags
04-04-2013, 14:35
Some years ago I read a backpacking guide that advocated wearing cheap polyester leisurewear instead of expensive pattagucci type clothes.

I wear an old poly-cotton blend dress shirt from the thrifter for all my backpacking trips.

turtle fast
04-04-2013, 15:22
Ive never done a fire engine red leisure suit but the thoughts of hiking in one interests me. Maybe it starts a new trend again in the outdoor industry.