PDA

View Full Version : Recommended trail stops in Virginia

alxflwrs
04-01-2013, 12:44
So as I'm looking thru the 2013 Guide there are a TON of towns in Virginia. I don't think I will want to/be able to/should stop in every single one, so does anyone have any "must stop" small trail towns. I know Damascus is super important, but any other must see?

peterbuilt89
04-01-2013, 13:02
Yeah Pearisburg is pretty cool, Glasgow, Waynesboro,Linden, the place in Catawba, Bears Den Hostel, But why do you think Damascus is super Important ?

alxflwrs
04-01-2013, 14:11
I guess it wasn't really that Damascus is so important, but that you can't really miss it--since as far as I know you walk right through it. There just seems to be a lot of great towns in Virginia, so I was looking for which ones to take my time going to, since I can't spend time going to every single one that would require some hitch hiking.

Meriadoc
04-01-2013, 15:02
Stop in Woods Hole just south of Pearisburg. Serene organic farm with good food, good people, and yoga!

HikerMom58
04-01-2013, 19:32
THe Homeplace in Catwaba is a must stop! :) They are only open on Thurs. Friday, Saturday and Sundays tho.

SCRUB HIKER
04-01-2013, 19:48
True, if I were doing it again, the Homeplace is the one stop I would not miss under any circumstances. I had good times in other towns, like Damascus, Daleville and Waynesboro, but I could bear to skip them (although the trail goes through Damascus and Daleville, so it's kind of impossible to skip them). But happy memories of the Homeplace will sustain you for weeks.

Donde
04-01-2013, 19:54
The Homeplace is mandatory. If you do not go there your hike will be doomed and there is no way you will get to wherever it is you're trying to hike.

SOBO_Pace
04-01-2013, 20:43
The dojo in bastian is a good place to catch a movie, AYCE pizza and a cheap breakfast.

The Captains is a must stop.(near pearisburg)

There is a lot in Va.

Rock Lobster
04-01-2013, 20:58
I did VA sobo last summer in 100degree heat and that crazy storm. Hopefully the trees are cleared up! Here's what I remember:

Don't Miss:
The Dojo - new hostel (2012) in Bastian, VA. May have become Fort Bastian by this summer. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fort-Bastian/190294884351297?fref=ts
Woods Hole Hostel - super friendly, longtime hostel.
Waynesboro & the Chinese Buffet - Not only is this a really friendly town for hikers, but the Chinese buffet is one of the best AYCE options on trail. While hiking with a friend last summer, we stopped once...then hitched back twice. So worth it.
Briarly Hill B&B - assuming you're not on a super-tight budget, this place is mandatory. It's in Lexington, VA but the owner's a hiker and will shuttle you. Rooms at the hiker rate are $50 and include a suite, sodas, chips, candy, fresh-baked cookies, a jacuzzi tub, and the best breakfast on the trail. It does not get more luxurious than this on trail!

Not bad if you have the time:
Luray is a fairly compact, small town that's easy to get around
Daleville is an interchange, with all of the chain-restaurant glory you'd expect. The Hojo has a good rep among hikers and sometimes that grease and neon is just what you need. Right on the trail.
Near Atkins you walk directly past a motel and there's a decent restaurant up the road. What it lacks in uniqueness, it makes up for in convenience.
Pearisburg offers a hostel, but not much going on in town.

Skip it:
Front Royal is really spread out - not very convenient for hikers.
Bland lives up to its name. Go to the Dojo and see Nigel.

SCRUB HIKER
04-01-2013, 21:24
Daleville is an interchange, with all of the chain-restaurant glory you'd expect. The Hojo has a good rep among hikers and sometimes that grease and neon is just what you need. Right on the trail.
Near Atkins you walk directly past a motel and there's a decent restaurant up the road. What it lacks in uniqueness, it makes up for in convenience.

Skip it:

The Daleville HoJo has a mixed reputation. I loved it, had no problems, thought they were very accommodating. Other people were bashing it hard in the shelter journals north and south of there, though. Something about hidden credit card charges and failing to honor reservations. I have no idea how valid those complaints are, but they exist. For the record, I thought Daleville was my favorite town stop in all of Virginia. You can't beat it for convenience--restaurants, inexpensive motels and the best grocery store up til that point on the AT, all within a 5-minute walk of the trail.

Waynesboro is outrageously friendly, I agree. Note that the Rendezvous Motel in Pearisburg burned down recently (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?93265-Motel-Fire-in-Pearisburg-Rendezvous-Motel).

bigcranky
04-01-2013, 21:24
Waynesboro & the Chinese Buffet - Not only is this a really friendly town for hikers, but the Chinese buffet is one of the best AYCE options on trail. While hiking with a friend last summer, we stopped once...then hitched back twice. So worth it.

I'd eat at that Chinese buffet even if I weren't hiking. If you knew how I normally feel about buffet restaurants, you'd know this is high praise. For a hiker, it's a little piece of heaven on earth.

Waynesboro is an excellent, friendly hiking town.

johnnybgood
04-01-2013, 21:50
I did VA sobo last summer in 100degree heat and that crazy storm. Hopefully the trees are cleared up! Here's what I remember:

Don't Miss:
The Dojo - new hostel (2012) in Bastian, VA. May have become Fort Bastian by this summer. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fort-Bastian/190294884351297?fref=ts
Woods Hole Hostel - super friendly, longtime hostel.
Briarly Hill B&B - assuming you're not on a super-tight budget, this place is mandatory. It's in Lexington, VA but the owner's a hiker and will shuttle you. Rooms at the hiker rate are $50 and include a suite, sodas, chips, candy, fresh-baked cookies, a jacuzzi tub, and the best breakfast on the trail. It does not get more luxurious than this on trail!

Not bad if you have the time:
Luray is a fairly compact, small town that's easy to get around

Skip it:

Excellent summary on trail towns. I was also going to mention Luray as a perimeter trail town because it IS necessary to get a hitch into but offers the likes of ;
World famous Luray Caverns ; Performing Arts Center that puts on small plays, a downtown area with boutique shoppes and restaurants.

The Homeplace is a must, as previously mentioned--making sure to get there as soon as they open(they will be crowded on weekends)and they only do dinner.