PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP AT in August - Too Hot?

BigToe
06-29-2005, 17:21
:dance We're planning a 10-14 day section hike in GSMNP. It looks like our time window is in the first three weeks of August. Is it going to be inhumanly hot there that time of year?

Also we are going to hammock. Do we still need permits? Is stealth camping advisable? If we stay away from the shelters (hanging our food judiciously), are we going to become bear tacos?

It sounds like GSMNP is pretty popular. Are the daytrippers and overnighters a problem?

We're a couple of over-fifty farts who have section hiked before. We're looking at the ~150 mile stretch between Fontana Dam and Sam's Gap. Is that a nice section? Is there anybody providing shuttle service? Any suggestions on a better section?

Thanks as always to the WhiteBlaze community for such great advice and insight.

MOWGLI
06-29-2005, 17:29
:dance We're planning a 10-14 day section hike in GSMNP. It looks like our time window is in the first three weeks of August. Is it going to be inhumanly hot there that time of year?

Also we are going to hammock. Do we still need permits? Is stealth camping advisable? If we stay away from the shelters (hanging our food judiciously), are we going to become bear tacos?

It sounds like GSMNP is pretty popular. Are the daytrippers and overnighters a problem?

We're a couple of over-fifty farts who have section hiked before. We're looking at the ~150 mile stretch between Fontana Dam and Sam's Gap. Is that a nice section? Is there anybody providing shuttle service? Any suggestions on a better section?

Heck no! Temps can get downright chilly at night. Especially at the two shelters nestled at 5920' above sealevel. Last year when it was in the low 90s in Chattanooga (daytime) it was in the high 60s at Spence Field. Very nice.

Regarding your other questiions, backcountry permits are required. Hammock camping and stealth camping are not legal in the park.

Regarding your selection of a 150 mile stretch, that's a great area. Check the ATC website for shuttles.

The Solemates
06-29-2005, 17:30

No, along the ridge it will be quite nice. Expect it to reach 85 tops. 40s at night possible. Ive been in September and been snowed on.

Call them anyways. They will tell you that you need permits. They are free. Stealth is fine, although the forest service doesnt like it. The shelters and campsites are so close together there should be no need to stealth. you usually can get away from the people at the shelters, especially with a hammock. hang your food and you will be fine.

there will be tons of people. make reservations now. shouldnt be a problem though.

Great section. Be sure to take the Camerera (sp?) side trail. Max Patch is great. Tons of shuttles. Try Jeff and Nancy at The Hike Inn in Fontana. Try the online companion www.aldha.org for the phone number. or someone here on WB may offer. Section easily done in 10 days, even for 50 year olds. my dad has done it in that amount of time.

Have fun and post pictures.

The Solemates
06-29-2005, 17:31
mowgli beat me to the response..

sliderule
06-29-2005, 23:46
All backcountry camping in the Great Smoky Mtn Nat'l Park requires a permit. Permits are free, but can only be obtained 30 days or less before the start of your trip. So you cannot make a reservation now for a trip that starts in August. Reservations are required for all shelters and some campsites. As for hammock camping, it is not illegal in the park. To the National Park Service, hammock camping is no different than tent camping. But you cannot tent camp at shelters, only designated campsites. There are special provisions for AT thru hikers in the park. They must have a permit, but do not have to have shelter reservations. But they must give up bunk space to those hikers who do have reservations. Thru hikers are allowed to tent camp at the shelters only if the shelter is full. On the AT within the park, camping is permitted only at the shelters and at one campsite that is about 5 miles north of Fontana Dam.

As far as the temperature in August, it might be comfortable at the higher elevations, but it can get quite hot and steamy in the valleys. You can see the variation in temperature with elevation by checking the daily weather at http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=MRXRTPMRX&versions=8.
The Backcountry Reservations office is open daily from 8 am to 6 pm, tel (865) 436-1231.

sliderule
06-30-2005, 01:24
Quote: Stealth is fine, although the forest service doesn't like it.

First, the Forest Service has no jurisdiction in the national parks. The national parks are under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service, which is part of the Dept of the Interior. The Forest Service is under the Dept of Agriculture and has a significantly different "mission."

Second, stealth is not so fine. It is not a matter of whether someone likes it or not. It is a violation of federal law. According to the NPS, the maximum fine for each violation is $5000 and/or six months in jail. (So if you get caught after a week on the trail- 7 nights of stealth camping- it could turn out to be an expensive trip.) How about those odds: get a permit for free or risk a $5000 fine. You don't need to do an environmental impact study to figure that one out.

The Solemates
06-30-2005, 08:45
errr......edit..

The Solemates
06-30-2005, 08:46
Quote: Stealth is fine, although the forest service doesn't like it.

First, the Forest Service has no jurisdiction in the national parks. The national parks are under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service, which is part of the Dept of the Interior. The Forest Service is under the Dept of Agriculture and has a significantly different "mission."

Second, stealth is not so fine. It is not a matter of whether someone likes it or not. It is a violation of federal law. According to the NPS, the maximum fine for each violation is $5000 and/or six months in jail. (So if you get caught after a week on the trail- 7 nights of stealth camping- it could turn out to be an expensive trip.) How about those odds: gets a permit for free or risk a $5000 fine. You don't need to do an environmental impact study to figure that one out.

um, ok. sounds good to me. i just know i grew up camping in the smokies every other weekend and never with permits or fines. i know its a little more strict now though. other than my thru in 04, i havent spent much time there since 6 or so years ago.

MDSHiker
06-30-2005, 09:19
I hiked the AT thru the park in August a few years ago. It was very nice. I don't think it got over 70F during the day, and it was cool at night. Perfect weather actually. The shelters were mostly empty too!

Moon Monster
07-02-2005, 13:36
Average high temp at Clingmans' Dome in August: 64.
Average low temp: 52.
Average first trace snowfall is in September, but cold dreary weather can occur at .any time, though unlikely in August.
At lower elevations, it could be quite hot, but probably nowhere in the park would be on average hotter than the lowlands of New Jersey that time of year.

BigToe
07-12-2005, 00:17
Thanks for all the great input. We are going to hike from Sams Gap to Fontana Dam, utilizing Jeff and Nancy's shuttle service, and registering for permits.

Does anyone have knowledge or opinions on the best spots for mail drops?

Will any of you be on this section during the first couple of weeks of August?

The Solemates
07-12-2005, 09:26
Thanks for all the great input. We are going to hike from Sams Gap to Fontana Dam, utilizing Jeff and Nancy's shuttle service, and registering for permits.

Does anyone have knowledge or opinions on the best spots for mail drops?

Will any of you be on this section during the first couple of weeks of August?

I think Hot Springs would be the obvious resupply. You could also resupply at Standing Bear Hostel in Davenport Gap as well.

TwoForty
01-20-2006, 19:30
So how was it? I'll be doing the same section this summer. I hope it's not too hot.
How were the bugs?

Lilred
01-21-2006, 12:49
So how was it? I'll be doing the same section this summer. I hope it's not too hot.
How were the bugs?

I hiked that section last summer, end of June, beginning of July. The bugs were not too bad during June, started becoming more of a problem into July. The weather was not hot at all, very pleasant. It never got over 70 in the mountains. The only time it was sun-beating hot was coming out of the Smokies and doing the road walk before Standing Bear Hostel. Be prepared for lots of rain though.

neo
01-21-2006, 15:33
in the upper elevations temps run in upper 60,s to low 70,s during the day and 50,s at night during july and august:cool: neo

bulldog49
01-23-2006, 13:43
Smokies in summer are very warm and humid and extremely crowded. Even with reservations you may not find a spot in a shelter or campsite because a lot of folks don't bother with the reservation system. The times I was there in the summer were not very enjoyable. I go there quite often in the winter when it's peaceful and the views are much better.

littledragon
01-23-2006, 14:25

Call them anyways. They will tell you that you need permits. They are free. Stealth is fine, although the forest service doesnt like it. The shelters and campsites are so close together there should be no need to stealth. you usually can get away from the people at the shelters, especially with a hammock. hang your food and you will be fine.

I was under the impression that you HAD to stay in the shelters in the Smokies and that was why you needed reservations- just to control the flow so to speak.

I am a hammock person, so this is interesting to me. I am hiking this section in March. I know I will need the permits, but does this really mean that I can still use my hammock at the shelter areas?

Thanks for the info.

rgarling
01-23-2006, 14:40
"but does this really mean that I can still use my hammock at the shelter areas?"

If you are hiking as a through-hiker, and if the shelter is full, you can camp within sight of the shelter. Most places, this means you can find a good spot to hang a hammock.

Pennsylvania Rose
01-23-2006, 19:54
I often escape the heat and humidity of summers in central KY by heading to the Smokies. Yes, it's unbearably hot and crowded in places like Cades Cove, but the ridgetops are cooler and the nights are really refreshing (more like spring/fall temps at home). Afternoon thunderstorms are common, so check the sky before you head across an exposed area. Depending on your need for solitude, you may still run into more people than you'd like (it's summer, and everyone is trying to vacation), but most are day hikers (esp around Clingman's dome and Newfound Gap), and you'll lose the crowds in the northern end of the park.

Personally, I always try to follow the rules. I may not agree with them all, but where would we be if no one follwed them? And, the permit system puts my family at ease - if there was an emergency, or I didn't emerge when expected, the authorities would have an idea of where to start looking.

Gray Blazer
01-24-2006, 10:36
Best place to be in the East in August. Either there or the White Mountains in New Hampshire.

CaptChaos
01-24-2006, 14:29
Are the Smokies hot in August well yes and no. The days can be pretty bad in the valley but on the ridge it is ok. I have went on trips many times in August and I find that I go to bed early when the sun starts to go down because it gets cold. I have never been to cold during August but I have never felt that I was to hot in the shelter when sleeping.

Besides, sweating is good for you. I find to that when I go in August that by the time I get to the shelter the bugs don't bother me any more. Don't know about the other guys in the shelter but the bugs stay away.

Come to think of it, maybe that is why the people in the shelters don't say much when I come in.

BigToe
02-23-2006, 15:07
How were the bugs?

So we had to cancel last year's hike because a family member was ill. We're planning to go this June but starting to question the wisdom of doing the GSMNP section in hammocks. Both my hiking buddy and I purchased Hennessy Hammocks last year, tried them out, and are all fired up about hammocking. It sounds like it will be a hassle to hammock in GSMNP and we're not thrilled about going back to tents.

- sittin' on the fence

aaronthebugbuffet
02-24-2006, 04:33
using hammocks in the park is not a hassle. your just supposed to say at designated sites and stay in shelters if space allows.

Rockjock
02-24-2006, 09:46
- sittin' on the fence

C'mon Down
I will be all over the park from Feb-Nov as I am working on the 900-miler, and would love to hook up with. The rules are simple get a permit (free) and a good saftey measure, stay in the shelters. If the shelter is full then you can hammock. Really I have found no need to stealth camp in the park the shelters are very easily leap frogged most are less than a day hike away from each other. If you really wanted to get away from the shelters consider the BMT it runs along Mt. Sterling through Smokemont and then along northern Fontana Lake.

In June the flowers are great!!
Rockjock