PDA

View Full Version : Pack size, What is too small or too big?

TheYoungOne
04-01-2013, 15:49
I'm moving up from day hiking and two or 3 dayers, to full blow long distance section hiking. The largest pack I have right now is a 3100 Cubic Inch/51L pack. I'm wondering if I'm planning to do more long distance hikes, and while not I'm not interested in cold winter hiking, I may be hiking in more cooler and inclement weather, and hopefully some day, maybe doing a thru or at least a 2 year flip flop half hikes. That said I'm thinking I eventually need a bigger pack, like a 60L or 65L (4,000 Cu. Inches) lightweigh pack, but I don't want to waste my money on something too big that I will never use.

What is the average size pack thru hikers use? If it helps any I'm a 6'2" guy, who likes to hammock camp.

Storm
04-01-2013, 15:56
No one can answer that question for you. It all depends on how minimal you want to go or how many luxuries you want to carry. Best to get everything you think you want to take and go to an outfitter and find the smallest pack that will still carry everything you want to take.

Rasty
04-01-2013, 15:58
I've just switched from a 50 liter frameless pack to a 60 liter ULA Circuit. If your doing 3 dayers with a 50 liter don't change unless you cannot fit two more days of food or want to go longer then 6 days before resupply.

jeffmeh
04-01-2013, 16:53
I've just switched from a 50 liter frameless pack to a 60 liter ULA Circuit. If your doing 3 dayers with a 50 liter don't change unless you cannot fit two more days of food or want to go longer then 6 days before resupply.

Good advice. Or if you choose to hike when you should be carrying winter gear, and you either cannot fit it or the extra weight makes the current frameless pack uncomfortable.

Venchka
04-01-2013, 17:57
If your stuff don't fit, too small.
If your stuff don't fill it up, too big.
Proper compression straps and an extension sleeve/floating top flap solve both cases for me.

Wayne

Another Kevin
04-01-2013, 18:41
Proper compression straps and an extension sleeve/floating top flap solve both cases for me.

Uhm. Right. Also, "your stuff don't fill it up without cinching down the compression straps because the pack's too big" - still too big.

"Just right" is "fits your stuff with as little room left over as possible, so you're not tempted to cram in more stuff."

What do you need to bring for a long-distance hike? The same stuff you'd bring for a 3-day weekend, plus enough food and fuel to make it to your next resupply. So the same pack will probably do for both. But take what I say with a grain of salt, because I'm a clueless weekender, and seldom do more than the aforementioned 3-day weekend.

Slo-go'en
04-01-2013, 20:44
I can get away with 45L for 1-2 night mid summer weekend trips. Otherwise it's 65L for spring and fall and longer distances as I need a few more "what if" items with me.

Joker4ink
04-03-2013, 01:21
I use a 46 liter pack for everything from an overnighter to multiple week trips.

MuddyWaters
04-03-2013, 08:18
90L is probably too big
20L is probably too small

Whats in between will work for 99% of hikers.
Not being sarcastic, everyone is unique
It mostly depends on how much you intend to put in it

MuddyWaters
04-03-2013, 08:19
90L is probably too big
20L is probably too small

Whats in between will work for 99% of hikers.
Not being sarcastic, everyone is unique
It mostly depends on how much you intend to put in it
That means food, as well as gear.

Best thing to do, is buy all other gear first.
Then buy a pack, bring it home, pack it, re pack it, including food and water, wear it around the house
If it has extra room, return it and get a smaller one, repeat
If you want the best pack for you, you will have to spend time, and effort , to figure out what that is
No one can tell you

Namtrag
04-03-2013, 09:57
Take your gear to the outfitter and see if it fits.

I have seen people in REI doing this, and it's a great idea.

Venchka
04-03-2013, 12:10

Wayne

Uhm. Right. Also, "your stuff don't fill it up without cinching down the compression straps because the pack's too big" - still too big.

"Just right" is "fits your stuff with as little room left over as possible, so you're not tempted to cram in more stuff."

What do you need to bring for a long-distance hike? The same stuff you'd bring for a 3-day weekend, plus enough food and fuel to make it to your next resupply. So the same pack will probably do for both. But take what I say with a grain of salt, because I'm a clueless weekender, and seldom do more than the aforementioned 3-day weekend.

My experience is similar to yours. So far. I do harbor visions of longer trips. It just so happens that I own 2 backpacks suitable for multi-day outings. The "small" pack is listed at 3,865 cu. in. (63 liters) with the outside pockets attached. Numerous external points allow for strapping on additional stuff. I reckon this pack is good for the standard 3 day long weekend up to at least a week. Depending on the season, gear selection, groceries, etc. My other pack, the Uber Ginormous Load Monster, has a stated capacity of 5,000 (+ or -) cu. in. (82 liters) depending on compression strap adjustments, extension collar deployment, etc. Obviously, it will hold more than I care to pick up.
Seasons, climate, length of days between voluntary resupply, type of gear being loaded, water requirements, etc., etc., etc. dictate the load hauling solution. My packs (5 total-for various needs) suit me just fine.

As a matter of personal choice, assuming I do set foot on the AT, I will not treat the outing as an endless series of overnighters or long weekend hikes to the next road so I can hitchhike to the nearest convenience store and load up on junk food. That isn't why I would undertake a lengthy sojourn in the woods.

Wayne

Venchka
04-03-2013, 13:28
I'm moving up from day hiking and two or 3 dayers, to full blow long distance section hiking. The largest pack I have right now is a 3100 Cubic Inch/51L pack. I'm wondering if I'm planning to do more long distance hikes, and while not I'm not interested in cold winter hiking, I may be hiking in more cooler and inclement weather, and hopefully some day, maybe doing a thru or at least a 2 year flip flop half hikes. That said I'm thinking I eventually need a bigger pack, like a 60L or 65L (4,000 Cu. Inches) lightweigh pack, but I don't want to waste my money on something too big that I will never use.

What is the average size pack thru hikers use? If it helps any I'm a 6'2" guy, who likes to hammock camp.

You should focus more on the load capacity (pounds) that your current pack can comfortably handle. If your current pack has external lashing options, it is easy and FREE to move some light, bulky items to the outside of the pack. Things like rain gear, shelter, etc. are prime candidates were outside carry. Adding outside pockets is also an option, but not FREE. I have a 3,105 cu. in. pack with two removable outside pockets (760 cu. in.) that brings the total to 3,865 cu. in./63 liters. I also have numerous external lash points for really odd shaped stuff.

Wayne