PDA

View Full Version : Here comes my Sobo gear list. Take a look please!

Hatteras Jack
04-01-2013, 18:47
Big stuff
Wt. (oz)

Granite Gear Crown 60

Marmot Helium Long

Cocoon silk liner

Thermarest Prolite Regular

Tarptent Contrail + Groundsheet

Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork trekking poles

Clothing in pack

Marmot Precip jacket

Mountain Hardwear Epic rain pants

Patagonia Nanopuff jacket

Smartwool microweight zip-t

Long underwear

Darn Tough ATC socks (extra pair)

Camp shoes (flip flops)

Hat

Gloves

Clothing on me

Nike technical shirt

Nike running shorts

Darn tough crew socks

New Balance MT810v2 trail runners

Bandana

Cook kit

GSI Halulite Minimalist (pot, cozy, spork)

White box stove and windscreen

Fuel bottle plus HEET

2 x mini bic

Sea to Summit Ultra sil dry sack (20L) for food

2 x 1L smartwater bottle

2L Platy bag

Aqua Mira drops

Aqua Mira tablets

Med Kit

Needle

Ibuprofen x 100 pills

Bacitracin

DEET

Body glide

Immodium

Hygiene

TP

Toothpaste

Toothbrush

Hand sanitizer

Misc

Phone and case

Phone charger

Financial (ID, debit card, insurance, cash)

REI Duck's Back pack cover (80L)

Princeton Tec Remix headlamp

Trash compactor bag for sleeping bag and dry clothes

Paracord

Pencil

Pen

Section of the AT Guide

GSI cathole trowel

This puts my base weight (minus food and clothes I'm wearing) around 16.6 pounds.
I'm headed south from Katahdin starting in mid-June, so I've got time to tweak everything. There's a little bit of gear I have yet to purchase, so in those cases I have estimated and put the weight in italics. Please let me know if I've forgotten anything. I am still trying to figure out what kind of pocket knife/scissors to get, by the way.

Thanks everyone!

Hatteras Jack
04-01-2013, 18:58
So apparently I can't math. "Big stuff" should be 142.7, "clothing in pack" should be 56.9, and "cook kit" should be 34.2. That makes my base weight 17.3 lbs, assuming I didn't mess up any more.

SOBO_Pace
04-01-2013, 19:02
Do you think you will need both AM drops and tabs? Just one should do. Plenty of places to get more.

Tent stakes?

Maybe a travel size bottle of gold bond, and some tape and mole skin. You can ditch it later.

May want 2 extra pairs of socks. One just for camp and sleep.

Some people ship themselves their long underwear. I carried mine the whole way ( bottoms, and smartwool long sleeve, down jacket). I didn't have rain paints until it got colder but some carried them the whole way.

Hatteras Jack
04-02-2013, 04:39
Someone here had mentioned it might be a good idea to bring AM tabs just in case the bottle breaks or something. Tent stakes are included in the weight of the tent. I'm keeping my long underwear because I like sleeping in it no matter the temp. Maybe that'll change.

I'll probably end up adding the gold bond, tape and moleskin. I did forget to add that I'll have duct tape wrapped around my pencil. Is that an okay sub for moleskin? Thanks Pace.

Migrating Bird
04-02-2013, 07:32
I would not bring the trowel. Rain pants won't do much good as well as the M. Precip, mine got saturated, check out Golite & Packa May want to add a headnet. Phone charger won't do much in ME as service is real spotty, until south of the whites, bounce it ahead. +1 on the extra socks 2 pair alternate for hiking 1 clean for sleeping - ME is wet & muddy, your feet and sleeping bag will appreciate it. Flip Flops are OK, but I like a little more protection, a stick or rock jammed between foot and flop is painful and it will happen when going to get water - do not try to cross rivers in flip flops, they are not stable and will float away. Just my 2 cents. Have a great hike.

SOBO_Pace
04-02-2013, 08:34
Some people were ok with just duck tape (in just about all hostel hiker boxes) on their blisters. I would recommend a small piece of moleskin. I was pretty lucky that I didn't really get any blisters although I taped a few. I actually carried a bottle of new skin (dropped in Hanover) and super glue ( good to repair shoes poles, gear) for my blisters.

I'm with you on the long johns. I was wearing my down jacket in Maine last summer in the mornings and some nights.

+1 on the cell phone unless you have Verizon. There is a small spot in front of the p.o. in monson you can get a call out after the 100 mile. I'm guessing it doubles as a camera.

bubonicplay
04-02-2013, 16:16
Cut all that weight in half IMHO. Especially for a thru.

Hatteras Jack
04-02-2013, 16:25
Cut all that weight in half IMHO. Especially for a thru.

Where do I start? I don't have a ton of experience but I thought I had done a pretty good job. I'm always up for advice or tips.

Venchka
04-02-2013, 18:44
I didn't see sunscreen. SPF 50. Waterproof. A real 5-7 oz. bottle. Not wee little travel size. Resupply often.
I also don't see any mention of a wide brim, SPF 50 sun hat either.
UL thru hike now or surgery later. Your call.
Good luck!

Wayne

bubonicplay
04-02-2013, 21:25
Google ul/ sul gear lists.

Hatteras Jack
04-03-2013, 03:37
I have seen some people with 8 - 10 lb base weights, but I still feel like I'm being trolled.

SOBO_Pace
04-03-2013, 08:27
I personally think your gear is right on. You will be able to drop some things in monson and can basically outfit another person will all the stuff left in the 100 mile wilderness. There are also other outfitters to pick up gear if you need it although if I remember correctly the first outfitter you see is in Lincoln, nh.
I did swap out little bit of gear on my sobo. Traded my alcohol stove for a canister stove when the temperatures dropped and wanted to eat more food. I also picked up a extra UQ in harper's ferry and in hot springs added a sleeping pad for the GSMNP. Point is you may make changes to your setup as you go. My weight with food and water was around 35#.