PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk SOBO...

Tree Nerd
04-01-2013, 19:17
Lately I haven't found much interesting stuff on the forum and thought I would start a thread for this years SOBOs. A place to get in touch with each other before we start. Post anything on your mind or anything you want to discuss with other SOBOs for 2013.

Tree Nerd
04-01-2013, 19:18
Unfortunately were going to miss this :rolleyes:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/promo/trail-to-the-moon

HikerMom58
04-01-2013, 19:24
Tree Nerd... I'm not good at finding existing threads but I think there's a thread called SOBO's Unite or something like... someone else may find it for ya. :)

This is a great way to "talk" to other SOBO's. Good idea- TN!!

Tree Nerd
04-01-2013, 19:27
Tree Nerd... I'm not good at finding existing threads but I think there's a thread called SOBO's Unite or something like... someone else may find it for ya. :)

This is a great way to "talk" to other SOBO's. Good idea- TN!!

Yeah I know about it and posted in it, its only a list of people that are hiking SOBO. Stuff like trail names, starting dates, etc. I was leaning more toward, just talking about whatever this year SOBO's wanted to talk about.

EriKelly
04-01-2013, 19:32
well im down to talk are you ready or what!!?? http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=12564 heres my first real list i finished last night any advice. ill make a video if anyone would like

lumberjaime
04-01-2013, 19:40
Who wants to split a shuttle to the moon? ;P

I'm getting really anxious and excited, as my hike starts in exactly 2 months! No joke! I've already had a dream about day 1 being cold and rainy with hurricane force winds, so hopefully it can only get better from there!!

If anyone has questions about the Whites, I spent the last 2 summers working at AMC shelters, so I'd be happy to do my best to give helpful answers!

Hope everyone's preparations are going well!

Tree Nerd
04-01-2013, 20:12
well im down to talk are you ready or what!!?? http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=12564 heres my first real list i finished last night any advice. ill make a video if anyone would like

Your looking good. Im at 25lbs so I think Im the wrong person to ask advice from lol. If I had some more money I could easily get to 15....I know where my weight is and how to get rid of it, but it takes money.

Tree Nerd
04-01-2013, 20:14
Who wants to split a shuttle to the moon? ;P

I'm getting really anxious and excited, as my hike starts in exactly 2 months! No joke! I've already had a dream about day 1 being cold and rainy with hurricane force winds, so hopefully it can only get better from there!!

If anyone has questions about the Whites, I spent the last 2 summers working at AMC shelters, so I'd be happy to do my best to give helpful answers!

Hope everyone's preparations are going well!

Your lucky to start so early.....whats the deal with AMC shelters? Any advice on how to lock-in a stay for work?

Cookerhiker
04-01-2013, 20:19
Did you look here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?422-Southbound-thru-hikers-%28MEGA%29)?

Tree Nerd
04-01-2013, 20:26
Did you look here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?422-Southbound-thru-hikers-%28MEGA%29)?

Yes. Again, this was intended to be something for 2013 SOBOs to talk about whatever they wanted to for this year; something that would continue on, not just a Q&A thread.

lumberjaime
04-01-2013, 23:01
Generally, my advice is be kind to the caretaker(s)! We actually do work really hard, but we also can be lots of fun. What a caretaker doesn't want to hear: Thru-Hiker: "HUFF HUFF HUFF Got work for stay? HUFF HUFF HUFF" Say Hi, maybe swap a story about the day. Its part of basic trail etiquette: don't just expect people to give you everything because you're a thru-hiker. Maybe ask if the caretaker has any bigger projects that they could use help with, especially if you're willing to give a little back to the trail that gives you so much!

Tree Nerd
04-02-2013, 00:28
Generally, my advice is be kind to the caretaker(s)! We actually do work really hard, but we also can be lots of fun. What a caretaker doesn't want to hear: Thru-Hiker: "HUFF HUFF HUFF Got work for stay? HUFF HUFF HUFF" Say Hi, maybe swap a story about the day. Its part of basic trail etiquette: don't just expect people to give you everything because you're a thru-hiker. Maybe ask if the caretaker has any bigger projects that they could use help with, especially if you're willing to give a little back to the trail that gives you so much!

Thanks for the input

Tree Nerd
04-03-2013, 09:28
Whats your plan for a sleepingbag? Taking one for the entire trip or switching? If switching when?

Im taking a marmot sawtooth 15* to start and I haven't decided if I will take it the entire trip, I may end up switching to my 40* then back to my 15* near the end.

lumberjaime
04-08-2013, 22:21
8 weeks left! Just scored a sweet deal on a brand new fleece that a friend didn't need, so I'm finished with my gear! What are y'all planning to do for reading material? I love reading, especially when I'm out in the woods, and can't bear the thought of sacrificing reading for weight savings. I've been weighing (heh, heh) several options, but wanted to hear if anybody has a particularly clever solution.

daniella
04-09-2013, 03:51
What are y'all planning to do for reading material? I love reading, especially when I'm out in the woods, and can't bear the thought of sacrificing reading for weight savings. I've been weighing (heh, heh) several options, but wanted to hear if anybody has a particularly clever solution.

I'm taking my old kindle! It's lightweight, stays charged for a month and I feel like I've cut enough weight to slip it in. Plus I'm going solo so I hope it'll be a good boredom buster if needed. Glad I'm not the only book worm on the trail.

Less than two months to Katahdin! I'm nervous, excited, ready and anxious! Can't believe I'm finally getting to go!

Tree Nerd
04-09-2013, 08:07
8 weeks left! Just scored a sweet deal on a brand new fleece that a friend didn't need, so I'm finished with my gear! What are y'all planning to do for reading material? I love reading, especially when I'm out in the woods, and can't bear the thought of sacrificing reading for weight savings. I've been weighing (heh, heh) several options, but wanted to hear if anybody has a particularly clever solution.

Probably one of the heavier things in my pack that I DONT need is my journal. A friend of mine made it for me, put a bunch of pictures in it and had a bunch of family, friends, and professors write in it. Between reading out of it and writing in it, this will consume my downtime.

wesleygalles
04-10-2013, 01:01
Whats your plan for a sleepingbag? Taking one for the entire trip or switching? If switching when?

Im taking a marmot sawtooth 15* to start and I haven't decided if I will take it the entire trip, I may end up switching to my 40* then back to my 15* near the end.

I'm bringing the same bag!

Tree Nerd
04-10-2013, 18:47
I'm bringing the same bag!

You trying to keep it for the entire trip or switch out with a summer bag for a little?

Shepherd13
04-10-2013, 19:56
Your looking good. Im at 25lbs so I think Im the wrong person to ask advice from lol. If I had some more money I could easily get to 15....I know where my weight is and how to get rid of it, but it takes money.

I am in the same place. 25 and I could easily cut down if I had a loose 800$.

Kobayashi_Maru
04-10-2013, 20:29
question to sobo's, what trails do you plan on taking to get to the summit of Katahadin? i am planning a section soho hike and am trying to figure out how to do the Helon Taylor to Knife Edge trails. my biggest issue is how late in the year can you get someone to get you in the park in the early AM to start? are the park entrances gated?

second question: where does the IAT start? at Katahdin or Katahdin Lake?

Austin_Knott
04-11-2013, 12:06
I am hiking SOBO this mid-June, anyone driving up to Maine from the North Carolina area? It would be good to carpool.

Seabird
04-11-2013, 13:09
I am hiking SOBO this mid-June, anyone driving up to Maine from the North Carolina area? It would be good to carpool.

Ooh, I am! I'll be driving to Maine on the fourth or fifth of June and then spending a few days with family in southern Maine before heading to Baxter state park. My boyfriend and dog will be in the car, but that means we've got room for one if you'd like to come along.

lumberjaime
04-11-2013, 17:35
question to sobo's, what trails do you plan on taking to get to the summit of Katahadin? i am planning a section soho hike and am trying to figure out how to do the Helon Taylor to Knife Edge trails. my biggest issue is how late in the year can you get someone to get you in the park in the early AM to start? are the park entrances gated?

second question: where does the IAT start? at Katahdin or Katahdin Lake?

I'm also planning to ascend via Helon Taylor and Knife's Edge, unless the weather is dangerous. As a rule, the park closes October 15th, or once there is significant snowfall, whichever comes first. The sooner you can do it, the better, as even September can be pretty darn chilly up there. As for the IAT, my understanding is that the northern terminus is somewhere in Canada, depending on who you ask (Quebec? Nova Scotia?). Somebody more knowledgeable should take this on.

Austin_Knott
04-12-2013, 12:16
Ooh, I am! I'll be driving to Maine on the fourth or fifth of June and then spending a few days with family in southern Maine before heading to Baxter state park. My boyfriend and dog will be in the car, but that means we've got room for one if you'd like to come along.

Thanks for the offer Seabird! But I am going with another person & 2 dogs, so that would be some tricky maneuvering (looking more for people to tag along.) Plus, I don't graduate til the 10th.

daniella
04-14-2013, 06:30
Thanks for the offer Seabird! But I am going with another person & 2 dogs, so that would be some tricky maneuvering (looking more for people to tag along.) Plus, I don't graduate til the 10th.

I'll be leaving from GA with a pitstop in DC Austin_Knott. Probably leaving DC on the 18th or 19th of June. Just two of us in my Forrester if that works for you guys!

peakbagger
04-14-2013, 10:04
Dont rush to get up to Katahdin as the roads and campgrounds are frequently still closed in late May early April. The park allows snowmachines on the main road and that packs down the snow into ice and it takes a lot longer to melt than the woods. The park has to let the roads melt off and then dry out as there is no real base to them. There are gates at the two entrances. Folks do park outside of the park and hike in via trails from the golden road but if the trails up the mountain are still officially closed, hikers are not allowed to climb to the summit.

Scout620
04-15-2013, 20:43
Good advice lumberjaime!

Tree Nerd
04-20-2013, 10:12
Just got my AT guide today. SOBO and loose-leaf! Last week I made my reservations at the AT Lodge and worked out camping for KSC. The last thing to do is get a bus ticket to Bangor!