PDA

View Full Version : APRIL 1st.........the TRADITIONAL day to sart your thru hike

springerfever
04-01-2013, 22:31
As I sit on my back deck in Suwanee, Ga. starting the exercises that follow my right knee ACL replacement surgery from last Wednesday, the 27th, I can't help but think of what a glorious day to be starting an epic adventure.....a thru-hike of the Appalachian trail !

My trail name is Springerfever, and I get this way every March. There is no law or rule saying when to start your thru-hike. Seems like every year more folks start earlier or later than the traditional start. So pretty much you can start your thru-hike 365 days of the year, either southbound or northbound and eventually complete it. No time limit on a thru-hike ! Could take months....could take a decade....could take a lifetime. Who cares ? It's your hike !

I always have planned on starting a thru-hike in mid- March , or whatever day the vernal equinox occurs. This year it was March 20th. If I had started on March 20th, I would probably be holed up either at Fontana dam or somewhere in the Smokies. I've been in the Smokies with fresh snowfall and two foot drifts and its a character builder ! Its also extremely beautiful and quiet. Starting a little later, say NOW...probably avoids the worst of the weather but you never know. It would not bother me to very slowly traverse the Smokies on a thru-hike but I don't believe I could bring myself to shuttle around the Smokies and then doing that section later. On MY thru-hike it is important to ME (and me only!), to start at Springer and finish at Katahdin. Of course, once I get out there, things might change, and I might end up Flip-Flopping !!

Anyway, thanks for hearing me out. I don't really know when my thru-hike will materialize, but I ain't getting any younger ! I have extremely high hopes for this last surgery and I have a followup with my doctor this Wednesday. The knee feels GREAT...of course it hurts, but the swelling is going down, everthing feels very secure and tight, and now its all about getting my range of motion back and strengthening the knee. Few months down the road should give me a good idea if a thru-hike is a possibility.

Thing is.......MENTALLY I am THERE...my family thinks I am crazy, but that is totally normal for someone that just doesn't UNDERSTAND. Either they get or or they don't, but they do know that I generally accomplish what I set out to do. PHYSICALLY I plan to take it easy, start out slow and then slow down furthur. Most thru-hikers as they approach Katahdin...slow down !! They do not want their journey to be over. I'm just going to start that a little earlier. Short of a serious injury, or lyme disease, or guardia, I think my body can handle the rest.

Just a few tips/recommendations for this years crop of thru-hikers I would like to share..

First off, its good luck to pick up a small pebble at the Springer summit and tote it all the way to Katahdin and leave it at the summit. Notice, I did not say ROCK, a pebble is all that is required. Probably a good idea to sew it in the corner of your pack/tent sack/etc, so that you don't accidently throw it away. If you are hiking with a partner, it is perfectly acceptable to sew this tiny pebble into THEIR pack for you to leave at the Katahdin summit...after all...it does weigh something, right ? I also plan to pick up a few extra pebbles to share with my thru-hiking comarades when we reach , oh say, Blood Mountain. I'd hate for anyone to have to double back to get their springer pebble.

Stover Creek shelter, fairly new and very nice, will be packed with thru-hikers. If you enjoy the camaraderie, pitch a tent ! If you would prefer a very nice campsite, continue on approx 3-4 miles to LONG CREEK falls, a side-trail off to the left. Absolutely beautiful and some excellent tent sites at the base of the falls. A great place to get there early, pitch your tent/tarp and then just chill. As in, get those shoes off and soak your feet in that delightfully cold water ! Get a few more chores accomplished and you probably need to practice your PCT Bear-hanging method to fine-tune, right !Most folks throw their rock sack overhand, but a MUCH more effective and accurate method is a underhand 360 vertical swing with a release at the bottom of the arc. That baby will gain altitude quickly and with practice is extremely accurate. Be forewarned, you will be demonstrating for others that are frustrated with throwing technique.

Also, the falls, depending on recent rainfall, can be LOUD. I've listened to my fair share of jet engines (retired Delta), so to me it might be only a murmer. Before setting up camp, lay down on your sleep pad, close your eyes and more than likely, you will fall asleep. If not you might want to rethink your camp location to a site furthur away.

Lastly, on the far side of the Smokies, just before you decend into Davenport Gap, there is a side trail on the left to Mt. Cammerer. This tower is simply amazing. Originally built in the 30's by the CCC, it fell into disrepair and was rebuilt to original specs in the mid 90's. The side trail is approx 1.5 miles and most folks pass it up because they are ready to get out of the Smokies and get some good grub ! DON"T pass this up....I have seen spectacular sunrises and sunsets from the tower and it is an amazing view, even better with some low-lying clouds. Plan on spending at least an hour or two for this overlooked jewel of the Smokies !

Best of Luck to ALL of this years' thru-hikers. Try not to overdo it...its not a race (at least to most). The Journey itself is the Destination.

gizzy bear
04-02-2013, 12:27
some pretty cool info there...thanks and i hope you have a speedy recovery!

alxflwrs
04-02-2013, 18:39
great post Springfever, i hope to meet you out there one day.
maybe 2014! start next april, i'm sure i'll catch up to you when i start in may!

Pressure D
04-02-2013, 21:03
Thanks Springerfever- I start my thru on Monday the 8th. I'm in no hurry so I may take up some of your suggestions.

Sclark9082
04-02-2013, 21:10
Thanks Springfever!! and hope you get stronger everyday! Your information and humor was excellent and uplifting. Kind of ignites a spring fever in me too. Hope to see you out there