PDA

View Full Version : SC Foothills Trail info?

Go-rilla
04-02-2013, 07:32
Son & I doing the SC Foothills trail April 17 - 21. Start north @ Table Rock and go south. Their map is very basic, no indications of water sources.:confused: Looking for advice on water sources @ north/start. Day 1 from Table Rock to Sassafras is a 'honk'. Rather not have to carry 2 days' worth of water up all that - so like to know if there are reliable sources. Thanks.

10-K
04-02-2013, 07:37
The FHT has plenty of water - plenty. Don't worry about water or camping - both are abundant.

I've hiked it twice and the only recommendation I would make would be to start at Oconee instead of Table Rock. It'd be a lot easier hike.

The Solemates
04-02-2013, 09:51
The FHT has plenty of water - plenty. Don't worry about water or camping - both are abundant.

I've hiked it twice and the only recommendation I would make would be to start at Oconee instead of Table Rock. It'd be a lot easier hike.

agreed on water and camp. just get it along the way.

disagree on direction :) I've hiked it 4 times and like table rock to oconne better.

Rain Man
04-02-2013, 11:05
Looking for advice on water sources @ north/start. Day 1 from Table Rock to Sassafras is a 'honk'. Rather not have to carry 2 days' worth of water up all that - so like to know if there are reliable sources. Thanks.

As I recall, the rest of the FHT has plenty of water, as does the first mile or more out of Table Rock State Park, BUT ... the rest of Sassafras Mountain is dry. Next water is down at Hwy 178. So, if you plan to camp on Sassafras, carry extra water.

For what it's worth, there is a nice campsite, with stone reclining "chairs" not far before the summit, less than a mile as I recall. Also, just off the parking lot just before the summit (SOBO, that is), there is a very nice wooden observation deck. Nice spot for a rest break or a meal.

Rain Man

Groomez
04-02-2013, 11:16
+1 on the tip for Sassafras. I started to hike it in high school but ran out of water on top of the mountain after 10 miles that day. We were in a drought that year so I was pretty weary to continue.

Dogwood
04-02-2013, 13:12
Good pts all. Actually, the total elevation change is ROUGHLY the same no matter if going NOBO or SOBO. BUT, look at the FHT elev profile to see if you want to start your hike on more flatter terrain by starting at OSP or start at TRSP where you'll get a bit of a climb from the get go and hike to flatter on cruise control terrain closer to OSP.

BTW, the FHT is really not an entirely NOBO or SOBO trail although commonly referred to that way. If you were to see the trail on a larger scale it's more like a rotated upside down "L" shape trail. I was kinda confused when NOBO on the AT and my compass said I was heading straight south. Yeah, the AT makes twists and hair pin turns going in the opposite direction for miles when your overall intention is hiking in the opposite direction. Brings a new meaning to how a PUD might be defined.

If in doubt about your ability for YOU AND YOUR SON finding water between the TRSP TH(Nature Center) and Sassafras Mountain going SOBO take some from the stream as you ascend up to Sassafras Mt. several miles in from the TRSP TH. Look at the well done FHT map by the FHT Conference to find the last place you will find water along this stream near the FHT. Really, though, finding abundant water sources is not usually of an issue on the FHT. Don't approach hiking the FHT as some are accustomed to hiking the AT with it's myriad of data, shelters, maps, mileage between water sources, analysis etc etc etc.

Here's a nice FHT trip report done by John Flanagan he posted on BPL.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=21157

No matter whether you end at OSP or TRSP you can grab a nice hot shower, a snack(additionally a meal at TRSP)/cool drink, and can safely leave a vehicle in either SP. Laundry services(may be seasonal) and shelters for rent are available at both SPs. Some of the screened shelters at TRSP have nice locations on the lake with scenic views. You can swin at both SPs too.

gizzy bear
04-02-2013, 18:29
I don't really have any advice for you... But I do know that oconee is beautiful!!!! Have a great hike!

Dogwood
04-03-2013, 15:57
Gorilla, besides the reliable water source at the stream, as described in the Guide to the FHT handbook, that you cross at mile 5.5, and the intermittent stream at mile 6.6 SOBO from the TRSP TH(Nature/Interpretative Center) where you can draw water from there is another POSSIBLE but VERY IFFY seep/very small spring at/adjacent to the John L. Cantrell Homestead stone remains at mile 7.7(good camping area). The small spring/seep is only intermittent though and might require some searching to locate on the slight downhill slope just inside the treeline near the homestead. Again, this small seep/spring IS NOT usually reliable as a water source. Whether or not it is charged depends on how much recent rainfall has occurred After that you will not encounter the next reliable water source on trail until you descend Sassafras Mt at Laurel Valley as you cross over paved US 178 near A4. However, depending on recent rainfall you MAY encounter some trickles across or near the trail before Laurel Valley. From the FHT TH at TRSP to Sassafras Mt is, according to the Guide to the FHT handbook, 8.8 miles. From Sassafras Mt past ChimneyTop Gap(A3) to Laurel Valley(A4) it's 2.7 + 2.1 = 4.8 miles. or from the TRSP TH to Laurel Valley(A4) it's about 13.6 miles. My pt is, you don't need to haul two days of water. I assume, based on your timeframe of about 5 days of hiking the 76 mile FHT you are going to avg 15 mpd. If you are the type of hiker that needs more documentation, trail descriptions, water availability you should hike the FHT with both the FHT Conference map as well as the Guide to the FHT handbook.

Here are more helpful links to the FHT. Some offer EXCELLENT FHT pics. I suggest you thumb through the pics to see what you and your son will experience.. The first link has two very good pics(#16 & #17) of the John L. Cantrell camping area.

http://www.thefoothillstrail.com/photo.html

http://www.alleneasler.com/foothillstrail.html - nice pics of the various waterfalls on the FHT

http://greenville.outdoorclubsouth.com/events/68011522/?eventId=68011522&action=detail

http://www.foothillstrail.org/

A couple of parting thoughts. The FHT is a mixed trail meaning it has many miles of rather easy pleasant hiking/walking BUT IT ALSO has more strenuous miles and sections with apparatus like, ladders, bridges, ascents/descents, MANY steps, etc. Lastly, this is a VERY scenically entertaining trail offering a good variety of terrain that can keep a hiker engaged, IF YOU LET IT HAPPEN, with the plants, waterfalls, views, gorges, swimming holes, wildlife, Lake Jocassee, quietness, uncrowdedness, etc, WHICH IMO, is perfect for a father and son trek.

Enjoy the journey.

Novel
06-08-2013, 21:14
I'm planning to thru-hike the Foothills Trail both because I want to and a preparation for thru-hiking the AT next year. I was curious about a couple things if anyone has the answers to them?
1. Does anyone know or have some suggestions when would be the best time for a thru-hike?
2. Aside from winter is there a time I should avoid or that anyone would advise against a thru-hike?
3. Is there a season or time of year when people typically or most often tend to thru-hike it?
4. Does anyone know what (if any) is the best, preferred or more common direction in which to thru-hike it or can anyone suggestion which direction to thru-hike it?
5. Does anyone know of any place near the trail where one could re-supply either by buying supplies or maildrop?
Also if anyone has any additional advise or recommendations about thru-hiking thew FT I'd be happy to hear it.