PDA

View Full Version : Any Problems with Wild Dogs?

glessed
06-29-2005, 20:53
Two associates at work said that they had been intimidated by wild dogs on the AT. One was on the trail in Central Maryland and the other was in Virginia.

Has anyone else encountered wild dog incidents along the AT?

What is the recommended means of protecting yourself?

jackiebolen
06-29-2005, 21:46
My general rule when I hear a dog bark is to always pick up a big stick...even if the owner says the dog is friendly. It helped me out a couple of times. Better safe than sorry is my thinking, no one wants a thru-hike ended because of a dog-bite in the leg.

TakeABreak
06-29-2005, 22:42
No pronlems with wild dogs, but I think the people that bring their so called pets on the trail should be barred from for ten year's. I don't pick up a big stick, but I do put both of my hiking poles together to make a stronger weapon and if they come at me, as soon as they get close enough, I start pounding with the poles and kicking them in the ribs, they get the mesaage real quick that a way. A little attitude adjustment doe's wanders.

The Solemates
06-30-2005, 08:49
you just opened a can of worms. i suggest you do a search here on WB about dogs to find out what others think.

The Hog
06-30-2005, 10:02
I was attacked by two dogs in Tennessee. At the time, I thought of them as 'wild dogs,' but they were probably just farm dogs off on a spree. I picked up a large branch and swung it at 'em, and they retreated.

I usually don't carry a hiking stick, but will sometimes carry whatever's handy (a branch or pole) in dog country.

Nean
06-30-2005, 10:18
The secret to wild dog is to first soak them in milk for at least one hour and simmer on low heat for another, add garlic- salt and pepper to taste

Lone Wolf
06-30-2005, 10:24
Never had a prob with wild dogs. Just Ahole dog owners. Came upon a man-hatin broad with 2 trained-to-hate- men dogs one time at Slaughter gap. They were leashed but wanted to get at me. I was 30 yards away. Told her if one or both got loose and came at me, her pups would die.

Doctari
06-30-2005, 11:23
My general rule when I hear a dog bark is to always pick up a big stick...even if the owner says the dog is friendly. It helped me out a couple of times. Better safe than sorry is my thinking, no one wants a thru-hike ended because of a dog-bite in the leg.

I had a dog (a pet) comming after me once, with the attitude of "I'm going to eat your leg" the owner assured me from a distance that "the dog dosn't bite" I said: "Not twice & never again!" he rather hurredly & animatedly called the dog back. Makes you wonder don't it, if the dog don't bite, why panic & call it back so strongly.

Doctari.

Nean
06-30-2005, 11:41
So you would not panic?

Skyline
06-30-2005, 12:23
In July I will pass 8,000 miles of backpacking and dayhiking, and have never been threatened by a domesticated dog. One time about seven years ago, a pack of about six wild dogs (I say they were wild because no human accompanied them, none had collars, and they travelled as a group) near the Priest Shelter where I was tenting did take a brief interest in MY dog, but I scared them off by yelling and swinging my Leki poles.

I am more concerned about a pack of COYOTES attacking my dog while she sleeps outside my tent. She's about 55 lbs., and probably would intimidate a solo coyote but I'm not sure about a pack. These predators are becoming so common around the Virginia Blue Ridge that some counties have put $50 bounties on them.

Meadow Creek
06-30-2005, 14:01
Skyline, I hear you on the coyotes. I had a very sketchy run-in with a pack of the biggest coyotes I had ever seen on a little-used trail up in CO last fall. They were very interested in snacking on my dog (who's 60# or so and generally not one to back down, but she was cowed by these animals). I picked up the biggest stick I could find and made a lot of noise. They thankfully took off, but I heard them make a kill not five minutes later (talk about a noise to make the short hairs stand up). The hike out was a bit nerve-wracking.

Blue Jay
06-30-2005, 19:58
Never even saw a wild dog. Had a few problems with the "tame" ones.

Nearly Normal
06-30-2005, 22:22
more chance of wild hogs.
pete