PDA

View Full Version : Airport Question

Bags4266
04-02-2013, 12:43
I know liquids over 4oz are not allowed. I was wondering about food. I am bringing 7 days of dehyrated food and other snack items (non-liquid) on board. Will this go through the gate? Or is it, the only food allowed on the plane is that which is purchased after the gate? I'm sending the Hiker Hostel a box with my treking poles and some other items. I could just put the food in there but I was looking to cut down on the shipping weight. Thanks

flemdawg1
04-02-2013, 14:19
Food is fine, just <4oz of liquids, and no fuel. Keep your campsuds, deet, toothpaste, etc in a ziploc for going thru the TSA checkpoint.

DeerPath
04-02-2013, 14:22
I know liquids over 4oz are not allowed. I was wondering about food. I am bringing 7 days of dehyrated food and other snack items (non-liquid) on board. Will this go through the gate? Or is it, the only food allowed on the plane is that which is purchased after the gate? I'm sending the Hiker Hostel a box with my treking poles and some other items. I could just put the food in there but I was looking to cut down on the shipping weight. Thanks

Who knows what goes on in the mind of a TSA Agent? I would suck-it-up and ship everything to Hiker Hostel and not worry about the airport. The wife flew to DC two weeks ago and was charged and extra $25.00 for her bag. Hard to keep up with the new requirement from TSA and airlines.

JustADude
04-02-2013, 14:40
What about BlackDiamond Hiking poles (collapsible)? Will those get through check luggage?

swjohnsey
04-02-2013, 17:25
Yes. Take them apart and put them inside your pack.

royalusa
04-02-2013, 19:04

We've flown several times with the first leg of our hiking food in our carry-on bag. The only challenge we had was peanut butter as it was considered a gel and therefore subjected to the 4oz (or whatever small amount it is) limit. Same would be true for Nutella. Other than that we've had not problem.

hikingirl
04-02-2013, 20:24
So just curious, do most people ship there back pack to the hostel? Take it as a carry on or check it? I was planning on taking it as a carry on?

Maybe one day
04-02-2013, 21:25
On a scout trip to Philmont in 2010 we checked our packs as luggage with out a problem once we convinced the ticket agents that our stoves (snow peak and jet boil) had no fuel whatsoever. Trekking poles remarkably can also go through as a carry on as long as collapsed.