PDA

View Full Version : A great TV-Reality outdoor-survival doc I didnt know about

SoCalled
04-02-2013, 13:27
I found this show today on the web.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPbz5TDy6fs

A guy attempt to live for a few months alone in the Yukon wilderness with only a few gears, all alone no crew with a camera, Les Stroud style but for months, not 7 days.

Very honest, very engaging, very very well done. Pretty awesome.

For anybody interested in these survival shows (I am), this one is different and its great.

SoCalled
04-02-2013, 16:05
Wow.

Ive just finished the first season.

The name of the show is simply "alone in the wild". Its truly awesome.

RedBeerd
04-02-2013, 19:29
Towards the end of the first season when they dropped him a bunch of food was a fantastic moment. Brought tears straight to his eyes! I think the biggest challenge is the mental aspect. The fact he was dropped food doesn't take away from what he is doing one bit, imo.

Wise Old Owl
04-02-2013, 19:43
watched the whole series... woe-fully well UN-pre..... uh - hope he had a good time.... I just sstuddered.

SoCalled
04-02-2013, 20:01
Towards the end of the first season when they dropped him a bunch of food was a fantastic moment. Brought tears straight to his eyes! I think the biggest challenge is the mental aspect. The fact he was dropped food doesn't take away from what he is doing one bit, imo.

Yea. Intense.

To me, the best moment was the look in the mirror. This challenge was more than he could chew at that time and it shows. But he had the balls to try. I wonder how I would do. Probably better at fishing, for sure. But the psychological stress is the key. This document is a study in itself. Very good, honest, rendering of the harshness of the real world.

Kookork
04-02-2013, 23:17
I have watched this twice before. For me just the fact that this is a guy who has submitted The Everest and Reached to North Pole shows how mentally tough and challenging survival could be. Even Les Straud would have serious problem surviving this.

Les seems to lose a lot of weight and endures just because he knows his ordeal is just a week long. I like his honesty as you mentioned and the wild serenity of the wilderness.

RCBear
04-04-2013, 07:44
Wow. I can't stop watching this. Massive cajones. Spectacular surroundings. Guys got a easy going funny way about him. Very likeable. He's humble, honest about his shortcomings and emotions. Intense and raw. Great show.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

RedBeerd
04-04-2013, 08:01
I do wonder how Les would do in a situation like this. Didn't he live super off grid with his wife at one point? Granted that's not being totally alone but he seems like a guy who doesn't crave the interaction as much, IMO. Seems content with his harmonica :) I wish he would give this a shot..

rocketsocks
04-04-2013, 08:26
thanks for posting So Called, enjoying it. If you have not heard the story of Dick Proennecke it's a good one as well...enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

perrito
04-04-2013, 08:32
thanks for posting So Called, enjoying it. If you have not heard the story of Dick Proennecke it's a good one as well...enjoy
One Man's Wilderness (http://www.amazon.com/One-Mans-Wilderness-Alaskan-Odyssey/dp/0882405136/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y), a good book.

RCBear
04-04-2013, 14:02
Just finished watching. Pretty interesting. He was pretty broken by the last week for sure. I think it goes to show that the mental aspect of survival supercedes the equipment. I think his overriding fear of bear attack sapped his energy to a large degree which compounded his loneliness. I wonder, if the lifeline he carried had not been available, if he would have been able to summon enough reserves to find his way out. Then again, if this had been a true survival situation, he would have killed and eaten one of those moose without regard to the legality of it.

Incredible film that demonstrates how fragile we really are in an unforgiving environment that doesn't care about our shortcomings.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2