PDA

View Full Version : getting hiker home

karen0540
06-30-2005, 12:03
Was going to fly out and meet my son, but airfares are exceedingly high right now-so must just get him home aroung July 8-12. He was in Monson a couple days ago...any ideas best way to get him back to Chicago from wherever he will be around then?

06-30-2005, 12:38
Try Amtrak. The closest station is Bangor, ME but hitching to Bangor should not be to hard.

Jack Tarlin
06-30-2005, 12:39
Karen--

There are trains, of course that go to Chicago. One would probably be best to get to Boston from Maine and them proceed West.

Cheaper still are buses; there's no bus service from Millinocket Maine (the town closest to Baxter Park), but there is service from nearby Medway. Most folks go from there to Bangor or Boston and then proceed to wherever they need to go.....more details on this can be found at the ATC website (www.atconf.org) or detailed comments can be found in the On-Line Thru-Hiker's Companion, which you can always find at the excellent ALDHA website, www.aldha.org

Both Amtrak and Greyhound have excellent websites that'll provide more info on fares, schedules, etc.

java
06-30-2005, 15:00
Try Amtrak. The closest station is Bangor, ME but hitching to Bangor should not be to hard.
Sorry, but there is no Amtrak in Bangor. The Amtrak 'Downeaster' stops in Portland. Plus it is exceedingly expensive.

As someone who travels in and out of Maine a lot the best bet is to fly into Boston or Manchester, NH (Southwest flies there), and to rent a car.
Flying into Portland or Bangor is usually quite expensive, although Portland just got Independemce Air which is a bargain airline.

Good luck, and let me know if you need more help figuring it out.

Heater
06-30-2005, 23:53
Was going to fly out and meet my son, but airfares are exceedingly high right now-so must just get him home aroung July 8-12. He was in Monson a couple days ago...any ideas best way to get him back to Chicago from wherever he will be around then?
Is he quitting the trail? Why is he going home to Chicago?!!

karen0540
07-01-2005, 03:04
Is he quitting the trail? Why is he going home to Chicago?!! David's companion, Kate, had planned independently for several months to hike the entire trail alone this summer/fall. Literally at the last minute (2 days before they left) David decided to go with her to accompany her for awhile. He was not sure exactly how long he would stay on the trail, but was pretty positive he did not want to miss the annual family vacation to upper Minnesota in July. In fact, he almost did not even go because of Minnesota, but I told him not to let a 10 day vacation, 6 weeks down the road, keep him from experiencing the AT for at least awhile. It has always been understood that he could come home at any time, and that we also would love to have him with us in Minnesota, although no hard feelings at all if he skipped it in favor of the AT. Who knows, he may go back to the AT after the vacation if he chooses, or back to college or a job...it's entirely up to him. I would applaud/support him if he indeed chose to return to the trail after Minnesota though.:clap

ferryman
07-02-2005, 17:51
At approximately 10:00am, David and Kate crossed the Kennebec River by boat (canoe) under beautiful blue skies and refreshing 73 degree weather. They had a great town stop at Northern Outdoors, hot dinner and shower, lots of quality rest, resupplied for the 35 miles to Stratton and the company of three other southbound hikers. All southbounders this year have endured a brutal spring with lots of cold rain, biting flies, and soggy trails. We must be talking about hiking the Appalachian Trail for the months of May and June in Maine. I told David and Kate to focus on just getting through one state at a time and that everyday that you hike south, you get stronger. The most important message conveyed to them was that these days hiking the AT are going to be remembered as "the best days of their life." Happy 4th of July weekend!!! Steve

JORGENSEN
07-02-2005, 19:13
This is kate's Dad. I really appreciate the help you gave them. Sounds like they are sore but not broken. I am sure the support you gave them will help them a long way. Thanks again. Did they have enough money or owe you anything? Rich J.

At approximately 10:00am, David and Kate crossed the Kennebec River by boat (canoe) under beautiful blue skies and refreshing 73 degree weather. They had a great town stop at Northern Outdoors, hot dinner and shower, lots of quality rest, resupplied for the 35 miles to Stratton and the company of three other southbound hikers. All southbounders this year have endured a brutal spring with lots of cold rain, biting flies, and soggy trails. We must be talking about hiking the Appalachian Trail for the months of May and June in Maine. I told David and Kate to focus on just getting through one state at a time and that everyday that you hike south, you get stronger. The most important message conveyed to them was that these days hiking the AT are going to be remembered as "the best days of their life." Happy 4th of July weekend!!! Steve

karen0540
07-02-2005, 21:58
I sincerely appreciate all you have done to facilitate this hike for the kids, and your help with cashing my check and getting the kids shelter/food/rest for the night. I also appreciate the peace of mind and information you have given me in the past few nervous weeks, as well as your encouragement to the kids yesterday. They called and specifically mentioned how kind you were to them. David is staying on the trail instead of coming home...we are very happy about this decision. With gratitude-Karen

Heater
07-02-2005, 23:03
:clap Go kate and Dave go! :dance

Karen. If they are going all the way through, why don't you do an online journal for them at www.trailjournals.com (http://www.trailjournals.com)

That would be a great way for all to stay in touch, ease your nerves and allow you to be more of a part of their hike. I am pulling for them.

karen0540
07-03-2005, 13:09
Thanks for your support! I will check out that trail journal link. I am watching "Trek" right now-the documentary about the 4 kids who took a camera and filmed their thru-hike...put tears in my eyes. I am really proud of these kids!:o