PDA

View Full Version : Tent Sites Near Overmountain Shelter

ScouterDave
04-03-2013, 09:30
My memory seems to be getting worse as I get older. Is there a site near the barn large enough for 4 tents and a hammock? I'm taking 6 scouts through there next month and can't remember what's down there. (And I was there twice last year!) Wasn't sure if I could get close or if we should stay back up the hill where the Overmountain trail crosses. Thanks everybody!

Dave

WMR
04-03-2013, 09:34
Right before the barn, there is a patch of flat space, grassy, room for plenty of tents, last summer we were there on a weekend and probably 3-5 tents set up. You can hammock in the trees right at the edge of the flat space, in the direction of the trail down to the water

ScouterDave
04-03-2013, 09:41
Right before the barn, there is a patch of flat space, grassy, room for plenty of tents...

Is that the spot on the left as you come around the bend?

Rightfoot
04-03-2013, 09:46
Just a heads up.... The Overmountain Shelter area is very popular and can be busy if the weather is good. In addition, depending on the NOBO bubble, there could be a group of thru's many of whom like to tent.

When are you going to be there? Have a great trip..

ScouterDave
04-03-2013, 10:00
When are you going to be there? Have a great trip..

Memorial Day weekend. Had to find a three day weekend when the kids are out of school. Also wanted to go before the festival in June and hoped the NOBOs would still be south of us.

FarmerChef
04-03-2013, 10:03
I was just there this past weekend. There are plenty of tent spaces along the left hand side (approaching the shelter) of the access road/path to the shelter with a couple of fire rings as well (though dry wood was very, very hard to come by with all the moisture). I suppose you could also tent around/near the intersection with the overmountain trail as well though I would be a bit worried about LNT for that area with a group as big as yours.

ScouterDave
04-03-2013, 10:12
Yeah...staying up there was a concern too. I've not been down there but if you're headed north and turn right on the Overmountain trail, is there anything down that way?

Rasty
04-03-2013, 10:28
Bradley gap is about 1 mile north. If the weather is good I would suggest camping there for the view. No water though.

ScouterDave
04-03-2013, 10:39
Yeah, thanks Rasty. I think I do remember a few nice spots on the right just off the trail.

Slo-go'en
04-03-2013, 10:57
In '08 I was at Overmountain for the Appalachian Collage cook out and beer blast. There were over 50 hikers camped out, some wating for days for the event to happen. There's pleanty space there, both for tenting or inside the barn.

BTW, how long does it take 50 hikers to empty a full keg of beer? Not long :)