PDA

View Full Version : 2 Springs at Overmountain Shelter?

FarmerChef
04-03-2013, 11:02
We stayed at overmountain shelter this past weekend and though we knew there was a spring further down the hill there also appeared to be an artesian well coming up from a pipe just next to the barn on the walkway to the privy. We filtered the water for drinking as it was running strong, smooth and clear and would have joined another creek further down that we would also have filtered anyway.

Anyone know what that pipe is/was?

The Solemates
04-03-2013, 11:09
its privy run-off. drink up!

sarge95
04-03-2013, 17:17
That was an old well for the barn. There are several privies that have been closed on the hill above the well. Remember that when using the water.

coheterojo
04-03-2013, 18:18
Hey Farmer Chef. This is El Flaco. We met over the weekend at the Overmountain shelter. I'd have to agree with the above post. It reminds me of a failed bottled water brand called Outhouse Springs. Their motto was: "We're Number One!" Seems to me you might get a little essence of Number Two there where you got your water. It's a little further but I prefer to get the water from the piped spring on the approach to the shelter.

At any rate it was a pleasure to meet you and you family. I hope the hike went well.

FarmerChef
04-03-2013, 21:05
Hey Farmer Chef. This is El Flaco. We met over the weekend at the Overmountain shelter. I'd have to agree with the above post. It reminds me of a failed bottled water brand called Outhouse Springs. Their motto was: "We're Number One!" Seems to me you might get a little essence of Number Two there where you got your water. It's a little further but I prefer to get the water from the piped spring on the approach to the shelter.

At any rate it was a pleasure to meet you and you family. I hope the hike went well.

Great to meet you as well!

I figured with the well being artesian the positive pressure would keep out any topside waterborne parasites, unlike a traditional well which can get contaminated easily if there's a break in the casing. Oh well. Guess I'll wait the requisite week and see what happens. :P

Tharwood
04-11-2013, 14:28
Hahahahahahahah!!!! Thats funy>>>>lolololool