PDA

View Full Version : Hiking pole recomendations please

randyg45
04-03-2013, 13:28
I have never used hiking poles, and in fact for years have marveled that people bother to carry them. It always seemed to me that they were unnecessary for people that had good balance and knew how to walk (in the woods). That still seems right to me; but guess who has some balance issues now? Two laminectomies have left me with a certain amount of numbness in my right foot. That and a fairly severe work-related injury to my left ankle over the winter make me want to try a pair.

I am 6'3", about 220#, with a wingspan close to 76". I think I want adjustable poles for tarp-support reasons, and possibly for comfortable hiking as well. I know I want pretty sturdy poles. My ortho says 6 months will do it for my recovery, but he is unaware I plan to do a ten-day hiking/fishing jaunt in the Winds with my 15-year old 90 pound daughter at about 6 and a half months from the date of the injury. If I have to put some weight on one of these poles to protect this slow-healing ankle from a twist or a fall, I need it to be able to take it.

What should I get? TIA

swjohnsey
04-03-2013, 13:46
The plain ole Black Diamond Trail will work as will a buncha others. Flip locks will work better for tarp support.

coach lou
04-03-2013, 14:16
Black Diamond Ergo-Cork, Flip- locks.....got them.....love them.

FatHead64
04-03-2013, 14:16
Another vote for BD - I like the ergo ellipticals, myself. The oval shape is stronger and as swjohnsey mentions, I really like the flip locks. They will hold for a long time with no slipping, if you want. Like close to a year with a hike every week, season changes, etc., and no slipping at all.

On the why side - I was like you and don't have the surgeries and stuff, but I did an experiment to keep an open mind. What I discovered is that recovery time (how long I "feel the burn" after my weekly hike) diminished when I used the poles. With that said, I believe they may have helped me to step it up a bit in what I do and get out of my weekly hike. I was a skeptic, but I like them quite a bit now. YMMV.

Tipi Walter
04-03-2013, 14:18
I have the BD alpine cork graphite whatever and the cork is nice in subfreezing temps BUT the cork will split and break off eventually after long use. I emailed BD about it and of course never got a reply so beware BD customer service.

coach lou
04-03-2013, 14:19
I feel the same as Fathead.....I never needed them damn things.......I've been using them for a year, I keep them in my car so I don't forget them.

Astro
04-03-2013, 14:49
Black Diamond Ergo-Cork, Flip- locks.....got them.....love them.

Same as Coach, except I have Leki. Flip locks are definitely better than the twist (had those before).

Trebor66
04-03-2013, 15:10
I am just a little bigger than you. I have been using the REI Traverse poles for several years. They are fairly light and strong. As with many others, I like the flip locks and cork handles. These will run you 30 to 50 bucks less than a set of Lekis or some Black Diamonds.

Chair-man
04-03-2013, 16:30
I have never used hiking poles, and in fact for years have marveled that people bother to carry them. It always seemed to me that they were unnecessary for people that had good balance and knew how to walk TIA

I thought the same thing then I read that 95% of people that complete a thru hike use hiking poles so there must be something to it so I thought I'd give it a try. I got some wal mart (Outdoor Products) $20 poles and I love em. very sturdy & spring loaded too. The key is that you use the right technique. I looked at tons of videos on you tube and I think this one is the best -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg3QMD4dtlM. I wonder how I ever walked without them;). I'm sold.

perrito
04-03-2013, 16:34
I love my LT4 Trekking Poles (http://gossamergear.com/trekking/trekking/lt4-trekking-poles.html). The best $$$ I've ever spent on any backpacking/hiking equipment.

aficion
04-03-2013, 16:47
I have never used hiking poles, and in fact for years have marveled that people bother to carry them. It always seemed to me that they were unnecessary for people that had good balance and knew how to walk (in the woods). That still seems right to me; but guess who has some balance issues now? Two laminectomies have left me with a certain amount of numbness in my right foot. That and a fairly severe work-related injury to my left ankle over the winter make me want to try a pair.

I am 6'3", about 220#, with a wingspan close to 76". I think I want adjustable poles for tarp-support reasons, and possibly for comfortable hiking as well. I know I want pretty sturdy poles. My ortho says 6 months will do it for my recovery, but he is unaware I plan to do a ten-day hiking/fishing jaunt in the Winds with my 15-year old 90 pound daughter at about 6 and a half months from the date of the injury. If I have to put some weight on one of these poles to protect this slow-healing ankle from a twist or a fall, I need it to be able to take it.
What should I get? TIA

Happy with my Walmart $20.00 twist lock poles. Very sturdy and will remain as positioned if tightened.

MuddyWaters
04-03-2013, 18:42
I dont need them.
But I know I hike much faster with them, particularly downhill.

I currently have been using Fizan compact ultralites the last several hundred miles, no problems.
Not available in US, have to order from Europe

johnnybgood
04-03-2013, 20:22
I can only say that you don't need the $100 flick whatever,shock absorbing yada yada yada to help with down hills. I have a no name brand-- Arakan --that have held up for me nearly 10 years,bought used from a hiker friend,look like they've been used to find hidden land mines, but still function like they're designed to.

Bottom line...If brand name poles are what you desire then the market has gazillions to offer you at lofty prices. Look at the functionality(if that's a word) of the cheaper poles,i.e...Walmart,Dicks sells off brand poles, and see if that is really all you need. If at the end of the day you see that the answer is no, the Leki's with the cork handles feel better, you like the flick locks,well then my all means cough up the extra dough for them.

For me, I saw no need to go that route. I figured that the money I'd save on expensive trekking poles could go toward more costly gear that I deemed more important.

Lyle
04-03-2013, 20:36
PacerPoles.

slbirdnerd
04-04-2013, 12:13
+1 for Black Diamond Trail Ergo.

redseal
04-04-2013, 12:42
I like the Black Diamond poles. I prefer aluminum with cork handles. They have been going strong for thousands of miles.

Beuhler
04-05-2013, 17:46
+1 for Black Diamond Trail Ergo.

Me too. Love 'me.

Another Kevin
04-06-2013, 13:14
+1 for flick-locks, cork grips, aluminum. Mine are Komperdell, they're cheaper than BD. I borrowed a pair of shock-absorbing ones once, don't particularly care for them. I'd worry about carbon-fiber ones breaking. I've fallen with a pole under me once or twice.

Parkie Man
04-06-2013, 17:49
PacerPoles.

Pacer poles are the best

Meriadoc
04-06-2013, 17:49
I have the BD alpine cork graphite whatever and the cork is nice in subfreezing temps BUT the cork will split and break off eventually after long use. I emailed BD about it and of course never got a reply so beware BD customer service.

I loved my BD poles but eventually (and I do mean eventually, thousands of miles) broke them. I stuck with BD and replaced my broken poles with the Z-poles. Both of the poles' grips broke in multiple places in less than 100 miles. And BD customer service wouldn't give me the time of day.

REI traverse poles (made by Komperdell) are great as long as you never have to replace the tips. Definitely the most solid poles I have used but the lack of tip replacement was a killer when one happened to fall off after 600 miles.

I'm happiest with my Leki poles. Not quite as sturdy as the REI poles but the tips are replaceable. And they are still sturdy enough that I can just about put all of my weight on them.

Whatever poles you get, definitely get the flip locks instead of the twist locks. They hold more weight and are less prone to coming loose.

Meriadoc
04-06-2013, 17:53
Oh, and if you don't need the poles for a tarp or tent setup, think about using wooden sticks. They work well and then you get to customize them with your carvings. Even attach handles if you like. They are heavier which I find to be their main drawback.

XANGO
04-06-2013, 20:13
Go with some used ski poles!

It sounds ridiculous....but they are cheap, light and the collapsible ones break a lot. After 2 sets on my thru-hike, I summited with ski poles.

SunnyWalker
04-06-2013, 22:54
Any of the Leki poles are very good. REI.COM is a good place to look at them as you can view a product description, Specs and reviews. Black Diamond seems to be a good brand also. I just bought a nice set of the Leki trekking poles. About $139.99 However, ski poles actually work real good. You can cut them to your size, but the ones i bought for $3.00 were the perfect length for me. I only bought the Leki poles because someone gave me a gift card. I found the ski poles in a Thrift Store. Also, if you go to Walmart.com you will find an assortment of trekking poles. Everything from $20 buck special to $100 trekking poles.

Berserker
04-08-2013, 13:40
I recommend buying something cheap to start with to see if you like them or not. If you do end up liking them then what this guy said:

I love my LT4 Trekking Poles (http://gossamergear.com/trekking/trekking/lt4-trekking-poles.html). The best $$$ I've ever spent on any backpacking/hiking equipment.

I'm 6'-5" and about 200 lbs, and I have been using a pair of LT4s on section hikes for several hundred miles of the AT. Now I will say that in my opinion poles are more for balance, and not to get a full body workout by propelling yourself with them. I used to bare down on my other set of poles (Lekis), and by the end of the day my shoulders and arms would be sore. Now I just use poles primarily for balance and maybe a little assistance on steep stuff, and the LT4s fit the bill perfectly because they're so darn light. So at any rate, if you're going to bare down hard on them then the LT4s may not be for you, and in that case you may want something more substantial. Oh yeah, and I also use the poles for my shelter (MLD DuoMid pitched with 2 poles).

FlyPaper
04-08-2013, 14:42
Oh, and if you don't need the poles for a tarp or tent setup, think about using wooden sticks. They work well and then you get to customize them with your carvings. Even attach handles if you like. They are heavier which I find to be their main drawback.

Seemingly, all WalMarts carry the same merchandise. Not sure the extent to which that holds as you travel two or three states away. But currently Walmart sells a pair of clamp lock adjustable poles for around $25. I used these for a while, but have since upgraded.
Nevertheless, at that price, try them. The work perfectly fine.

There was a thread a few months ago about shock absorbers in poles. Almost all agreed that shock absorption was not needed,
and even detrimental. If you have a choice, don't get shock absorption.

fins1838
04-08-2013, 14:48
Over rated. Buy cheapest ones you can find. It just doesnt matter. But definetly do adjustables. Found mine at a Marshalls discount store for $9.99. And they have lights on top of both handles; quite bright too. I also am 6'3" #220.

ridingpa
04-08-2013, 17:47
There is a skill in using them. Look online for the tecchnique, once you get it you will be much more efficient. You can fine a good pair on e_bay forabout $30. I hiked years without them, till i sprained my knee, now i always use them. I have seen all types on the trail, think is personal preferrence for style. Look for light and cork handles.

illabelle
04-26-2013, 19:11
My husband is almost 6'-4", 240+ pounds. He uses one trekking pole, an inexpensive MountainSmith, almost fully extended because of his height. He bent it pretty good a few weeks ago, but we had another one. Now he's bent it also. Does anybody know of a pole made for tall heavy guys?

Migrating Bird
04-26-2013, 19:30
+1 on BD poles. I never use the straps. This is from a few years as a downhill skier and ski pattroler, The reason I never put my hands through the straps is that when the pole pivots forward, even without baskets, the pole can bind and become stuck, I just let go. If your hands are through the straps, your forward momentum will cause you to pivot around and you to become off balance. I just let go, then go back and retrieve my pole, works for me and I thank the old school ski patrollers that taught me this trick. Additionally, with your hands free of the straps allows you many more ways to hold your poles.

Preacher_68
04-27-2013, 09:47
I went to Home Depot and bought two steel tipped paint roller poles and some rubber tips that screw down onto the metal tip, I sanded them down, stained and coated them with polyurethane but they would have been fine without the last part. Poles are 5 bucks a piece and the rubber tips are a pack of 4 for a couple bucks. Mine I found in the woods did all the same things and it has worked well so far.

Sarcasm the elf
04-27-2013, 13:11
My husband is almost 6'-4", 240+ pounds. He uses one trekking pole, an inexpensive MountainSmith, almost fully extended because of his height. He bent it pretty good a few weeks ago, but we had another one. Now he's bent it also. Does anybody know of a pole made for tall heavy guys?

If you are specifically looking for trekking poles that are adjustable/collapsible, the Black diamond ELIPTICAL poles are the strongest ones that I've found. I just got a set of the eliptical ones and they seem to be a lot stronger than the normal black diamond and Leki's poles I've used in the past.

http://www.rei.com/product/830478/black-diamond-contour-elliptic-trekking-poles-pair

That said, if you don't need the poles to adjust or collapse, a good wooden hiking stick will almost always be stronger and more reliable then lightweight hiking poles.

Hops53
04-27-2013, 18:31
Been through BD and Leki - now have ExPed 125's and love them - light, durable - no complaints

illabelle
04-29-2013, 09:28
If you are specifically looking for trekking poles that are adjustable/collapsible, the Black diamond ELIPTICAL poles are the strongest ones that I've found. I just got a set of the eliptical ones and they seem to be a lot stronger than the normal black diamond and Leki's poles I've used in the past.

http://www.rei.com/product/830478/black-diamond-contour-elliptic-trekking-poles-pair

That said, if you don't need the poles to adjust or collapse, a good wooden hiking stick will almost always be stronger and more reliable then lightweight hiking poles.

Thank you, Elf, just what I needed.

04-29-2013, 09:52
I use Komperdels (sp) paid $49 for pair and have been through 3 pair. I read this on this site a few years ago and wanted to repeat it. "stand on a scale and look at your weight, now put your hands on your poles and look at your weight" WOW is that amazing you are at least 20 lbs lighter you hae removed the weight of your arms from your total weight, the greatest weight savings of all is using the poles. I use the straps going up hill and really push with my arms, I unstrap for downhill and hold the top and use them for balance. Yes after a 8 hour day of hiking your arms at first will be as sore as your legs but they get stronger also. One more thing, I adjusted my pair when I got them and have never moved them since.

Fur Queue
04-29-2013, 10:17
Nice straight old tree branch works for me...debarked, sanded and a little urethane....terrific vfm.

keepinitsimple
04-29-2013, 12:56
+1 for Walmart/Outdoor Products poles. Last me about 2 years of section hiking, then special (carbide?) tip wears out- but poles still work. Don't know how long the fancy ones last, but at $20 a set, it works for me. And since I did not pay 100 bucks for them I don't have to treat them like they are worth 100 bucks

susiecruise
04-29-2013, 14:01

What should I get? TIA

I also was unsure about how useful they would be for me. I tried a friends on a steep hike and was very thankful for them on the steep decline. They only had to save me once from a fall to prove their worth. I find them awkward and cumbersome on most uphill and level-ish stretches and pack them away. My hands get tired holding onto them for long stretches at a time. In general they help with balance which I find is not what it used to be as the years go by. I don't hike like I did when I was in my twenties. I have had to learn to slow down and be careful and most important is to not fall.
I spent two weeks in the Winds many years ago. It was spectacular and peaceful.

Mobius
04-29-2013, 14:14
Based on recommendations from this site I picked up a pair of BD ergo corks. I've found they counter my tendency to hunch up on steeper climbs. I noticed that my shoulders/back were not sore/tight at all after a recent hilly hike when they almost assuredly would have been otherwise.

I also used them for the last 10 hours or so at a local 24 hour race on a completely flat course. I feel they helped me keep up the pace and ease some of the pressure from my feet and knees. Maybe it was all mental but if so, it was still worth it. The last lap I did was without the poles and was noticeably slower.

Dogwood
04-29-2013, 15:32
6'4" 210 lbs ectomorph(think Orangutan, knuckles on ground dragger) UL long distance hiker. BD Ultra Distance Z Poles in 130 cm(about 9.7 ozs per pr.). You DO NOT need adjustable trekking poles

Dogwood
04-29-2013, 15:42
You DO NOT need adjustable trekking poles to set up a flat or cantenary cut tarp. Check out some tarp setups using something like a releasable tautline bight, clove hitch, and bow line knots on the ridge line guy outs and bottom hem guy outs. Practice a few times and you'll have those down quickly. Not ony do those knots help with tarp setups but with other uses too.

lbbrown
04-29-2013, 15:55
www.pacerpole.com

Bought them in 2006..Philmont 2007, Batona Trail, AT in PA various places, Webster Cliffs Trail up to Mt. Washington July 2012 and several hundred miles in between.
Won't hike without 'em!