PDA

View Full Version : Dearth of Good Journals?

CrazyJane
06-30-2005, 15:29
Maybe it's just me... or maybe it's the lower number of thrus this year, but it seems to me that this year's trailjournals are a disappointing lot overall.

So many good ones have gone off trail or are spending almost every night in motels or have morphed into car campers... suggestions welcome for journals to read of people who are really hiking the trail and write well and post often?

CrazyJane :confused:

MOWGLI
06-30-2005, 16:00
Well... I hate to say it, but that's what the AT thru-hike experience is becoming. If you're interested in reading a journal with more of a wilderness feel, checkout the PCT journals.

My daughter and I will have a journal on a 60-mile hike of the Colorado Trail in late July. We are doing a 30-mile shakedown starting on Sunday - Carvers Gap to Erwin. That's just a "lowly" section hike, but the thoughts of a 15 year old kid and her Old Man might be interesting. The kid is a dang good writer! She got the highest grade in her creative writing class in her Freshman Class. She's got a great sense of humor too. It'll appear in a week or so and be done by mid-August. The photos should be great! I hope the writing is half as good.

Jeffrey Hunter

Footslogger
06-30-2005, 16:12
Well... I hate to say it, but that's what the AT thru-hike experience is becoming.
I wonder if that's really true Mowgli. I will admit that there are a lot of hikers these days who don't seem to place much importance on journalling (writing or photo) their AT hikes. But I'm not convinced it's related to any change in the "AT Thru-hike Experience". I think there's a better chance it's a change in the nature of the hiker.

That said ...I have to admit that the accounts of PCT, CT and CDT hikers tend to really capture my interest these days.

'Slogger

Mags
06-30-2005, 16:19
That's just a "lowly" section hike, but the thoughts of a 15 year old kid and her Old Man might be interesting. The kid is a dang good writer! She got the highest grade in her creative writing class in her Freshman Class. She's got a great sense of humor too. It'll appear in a week or so and be done by mid-August. The photos should be great! I hope the writing is half as good.

Send the link when its done! Love to hear the account of the trip!

PS. no such thing as a lowly section hike. It's all good! :)

MOWGLI
06-30-2005, 16:21
I wonder if that's really true Mowgli. I will admit that there are a lot of hikers these days who don't seem to place much importance on journalling (writing or photo) their AT hikes. But I'm not convinced it's related to any change in the "AT Thru-hike Experience". I think there's a better chance it's a change in the nature of the hiker.

That said ...I have to admit that the accounts of PCT, CT and CDT hikers tend to really capture my interest these days.

'Slogger
My friend Ed hiked in '83. He tells me that town was not the fixation that it is now. Now Rick Boudrie and The Hog might be able to dispell that notion. In fact, I'd be interested to hear their take. And don't get me wrong.. I enjoyed my town stays as much as the next guy. It just seems to me, that with eah passing year, the AT is becoming more of a party trail for a certain segment of the thru-hikers. The proximity of towns, and the plethora of info about the trail makes that possible - IMO.

If I can find the journal from '83 that my buddy just sent me, I'll post the link. It focuses more on the trail than the social scene.

MOWGLI
06-30-2005, 16:21

'Slogger

My friend Ed hiked in '83. He tells me that town was not the fixation that it is now. Now Rick Boudrie and The Hog might be able to dispell that notion. In fact, I'd be interested to hear their take. And don't get me wrong.. I enjoyed my town stays as much as the next guy. It just seems to me, that with eah passing year, the AT is becoming more of a party trail for a certain segment of the thru-hikers. The proximity of towns, and the plethora of info about the trail makes that possible - IMO.

If I can find the journal from '83 that my buddy just sent me, I'll post the link. It focuses more on the trail than the social scene.

Mags
06-30-2005, 16:22
[QUOTE=MOWGLI16]Well... I hate to say it, but that's what the AT thru-hike experience is becoming.
===============================================

Seems that "doing the AT" is similar to what "Backpacking in Europe" was for previous generations. Something to after college. Most do it more for the social than the wilderness experience. It is all a guess, mind you.

Are most hikers out for something differnent onthe AT? I honestly don't know. But, if you look at trail jouransl and videos, it is more about the social scence than the wilderness scene. Just my .05 worth...

Mags
06-30-2005, 16:28
For better or worse, I had one of the first online journals (be it hiking or otherwise). There were others before me...but not many. Our very own TJ transcribed my journal.

If you are intrerested, check out. I took a total of 10 zero days, so spent only a bit of time in town: http://magnanti.com/mags_at98.htm

It ain't Hemmingway..but may be what you are looking for in a journal.

And it is remarkable what a difference seven years makes. (My hairline was bit lower and thicker, for instance. :D!) : http://www.magnanti.com/mags_projo1998.htm

Footslogger
06-30-2005, 17:04
Seems that "doing the AT" is similar to what "Backpacking in Europe" was for previous generations. Something to after college. ==========================================
Guess I'm a "late bloomer" then because college was a fading memory when I hiked the trail. I don't have the time or true interest in undertaking the project but it would be interesting to read a synopsis of journals over the past 8 - 10 years in terms of their emphasis. Would it be more on the social aspects of the hike or on the true outdoor (I hesitate to use the word "wilderness") experience??

All I know for sure was that for me the AT was the realization of dream that started as a youngster. I met a lot of interesting people on the trail and really enjoyed knocking down beers in towns along the way. But, when my mind wanders (and it does this alot) I think more about the times when I was alone and witnessed a natural moment ...a bear on the trail in front of me, an owl over head checking me out as I hiked by, a rattlesnake that lunged at me as I tried to walk around it and just plain seeing things that some people will only read about in magazines. That's what made the AT memorable for me. The rest of the stuff I could have experienced back at home.

'Slogger

Mags
06-30-2005, 17:17
==========================================
Guess I'm a "late bloomer" then because college was a fading memory when I hiked the trail. I don't have the time or true interest in undertaking the project but it would be interesting to read a synopsis of journals over the past 8 - 10 years in terms of their emphasis. Would it be more on the social aspects of the hike or on the true outdoor (I hesitate to use the word "wilderness") experience??

Well, I will say the majority of hkers fall into two groups: under 25, over 55.

My suspicion is that most of the under 25 crowd is out more for a social experience. It was true for many of the hikers I knew 7 years ago on the AT, suspect it is more true now.

The 55+ crowd may be out more for an outdoor experience (good choice of words, BTW!).

Those of us in the non-student or non-retiree crowd have different motives as well, I think.

I have no valid data to back up this assumption...just a gut feeling.

jackiebolen
06-30-2005, 17:22
I have a serious case of Springer Fever and was looking in Feb and March for a good journal to read but didn't really find one. I've stopped checking altogether now.

When I was on the trail last year, I had a trailjournal and really made a concerted effort to put time into writing quality stuff. 90% of the people I was with who also had trailjournals, spent far less time on theirs, than I did on mine. It just didn't seem like a priority to a lot of people. I wanted to make mine a quality site that I could refer people to when they heard I hiked the AT, I think for a lot of people it's more just the novelty of it.

Footslogger
06-30-2005, 17:32
I'm sort of like you Jackie. I wanted to journal my hike well but not so much for others. I wanted to have something that would live on and allow me to re-live the experience for years to come. Pretty much all journals, of which I am aware, tend to taper off near the end -- mine included. But this year the journals I have seen are pretty much in a rut already. Another thing, at least for me, is pictures. The saying that ..."a picture is worth a thousand words" couldn't be more true than on a distance hike. It's fun to read over my own journal but, truth be told, I could sit for hours and sift through my pics. Seems like every time I see one of my pics it brings back another memory or two. The reason for saying this is that many of the on-line journals I have seen so far this year are somewhat "pictureless". Lots of hikers have pre-hike pics from home and the like but the actual day-to-day shots are lacking. Guess it's up to the individual hiker but I think many of them are going to regret not having taken more shots along the way.

Was going to say ..."just my $ .02" but Mags has already upped the anny to $ .05 so I'll see him and raise it to $ .10

'Slogger

MOWGLI
06-30-2005, 17:32

My suspicion is that most of the under 25 crowd is out more for a social experience. It was true for many of the hikers I knew 7 years ago on the AT, suspect it is more true now.

The 55+ crowd may be out more for an outdoor experience (good choice of words, BTW!).

Mags, I like your thesis - and think there is a lot of validity to your observation.

90% of the people I was with who also had trailjournals, spent far less time on theirs, than I did on mine. It just didn't seem like a priority to a lot of people.

Jackie, I think you would agree that its alot of work to keep up with a journal on a long hike. I was tired and often didn't have the energy to write. After a couple of days, some of the hourly memories start to fade. Then you're stuck with having to write for a couple of hours to catch up, or just write a short paragraph for each day. I tried to put a good effort forward, and as a result, I bet I spent between 120-150 hours writing over the course of my hike. SOmetimes it was a chore. Other times it was a joy. I remember writing until about 1 AM while at Scott Farm in PA. It was such an amazing day - words couldn't do it justice.

grizzlyadam
06-30-2005, 17:39
i keep both a written and photographic journal of my hiking adventures. ninety-five percent of my hiking is done in what other hikers might consider the "off season." fall and winter are my favorite times to be on the trail.

i would definitely say that my reasons for being on the trail are different than some. the bug bit me and so i hike. i'll socialize, but i don't hike for social reasons. to be in the wilderness and to see, experience, and enjoy being out in God's great creation is something special to me.

with that having been said- feel free to browse my various journals (http://www.trailjournals.com/grizzlyadam05). i would like to think that i spend a little more time and put in a little more effort than the average hiker. i take a sense of pride in my journal.

who knows? my writing could be crap, but at least i am putting forth the effort.

Mags
06-30-2005, 17:41
I
Was going to say ..."just my $ .02" but Mags has already upped the anny to $ .05 so I'll see him and raise it to $ .10

'Slogger

I'm just lazy and hate dealing with multiple coins. Legacy of being a lightweight backpacker? :) A dime is too rich for me....

Cookerhiker
06-30-2005, 17:53
.... Another thing, at least for me, is pictures. The saying that ..."a picture is worth a thousand words" couldn't be more true than on a distance hike. .... many of the on-line journals I have seen so far this year are somewhat "pictureless". Lots of hikers have pre-hike pics from home and the like but the actual day-to-day shots are lacking. .......'Slogger
For what it's worth, I've gone the other extreme. My 2005 AT journal of this year's section hikes has only 42 day entries, but over 270 photos!

http://www.trailjournals.com/cookerhiker2005

I don't have a transcriber so my Gorham-to-Katahdin hike starting this August won't get posted until late September or October unless I can manage pithy entries at library or other e-mail access points in Maine.

Mountain Dew
06-30-2005, 21:05
www.at2003.com is a great journal if you ask me, but then again it's my site ...

Mountain Dew
06-30-2005, 21:06
www.at2003.com is a great journal if you ask me, but then again it's my site ... It follows my 2003 thru-hike as well as this years thru-hike.

Pencil Pusher
07-01-2005, 01:26
Maybe it's just me... or maybe it's the lower number of thrus this year, but it seems to me that this year's trailjournals are a disappointing lot overall.
Maybe you've read enough of them it makes the rest seem bland.

MOWGLI
07-01-2005, 07:37
www.at2003.com is a great journal if you ask me, but then again it's my site ... It follows my 2003 thru-hike as well as this years thru-hike.

Hudson:

I have been checking your journal, its pretty good - but it is not very current. Any new posts on the horizon?

Gonzo!
07-01-2005, 09:45
'Slogger[/QUOTE] If I can find the journal from '83 that my buddy just sent me, I'll post the link. It focuses more on the trail than the social scene.[/QUOTE]

Two journals from 1983 on the web that I am aware of:

2000milehike.com (http://www.2000milehike.com/)
&
Then the Hail Came (http://www.skwc.com/exile/Hail-nf.html)

If there are others, I would like to know about them.
I took less than five full days off and did not stay in towns for long periods of time. There were some; however, who did, but I would not know how long since I did not linger. I remember a few Dead Heads who jumped here and there going to concerts, but most hikers just hiked.

MOWGLI
07-01-2005, 10:58
'Slogger If I can find the journal from '83 that my buddy just sent me, I'll post the link. It focuses more on the trail than the social scene.[/QUOTE]

Two journals from 1983 on the web that I am aware of:

2000milehike.com (http://www.2000milehike.com/)
&
Then the Hail Came (http://www.skwc.com/exile/Hail-nf.html)

If there are others, I would like to know about them.
I took less than five full days off and did not stay in towns for long periods of time. There were some; however, who did, but I would not know how long since I did not linger. I remember a few Dead Heads who jumped here and there going to concerts, but most hikers just hiked.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Gonzo. Your journal was the one my co-worker Ed Talone sent to me. I take it you know Ed?

The Old Fhart
07-01-2005, 13:03
Check out "Single Malt", 1999, on trailjournals.com. Also here are three entries from "Lost Sailor" from 1999 but I don't think his journal is on line. I consider his journal one of the best I've ever seen. His whole journey was written as a quest for the "Fair Lady of the North" and he sometimes wrote as a knight.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

June 21,1999
Awoke from my morning slumber to a nice warm day. Today is the summer solstice, meaning the longest day of the year and a tradition of nude hiking on the trail. It had almost completely slipped my mind, but that all changed when I saw Urtman and his friend heading south wearing nada except the packs on their backs. Now, seeing naked guys in a locker room is one thing, but out in the middle of God’s creation is another. I was totally taken aback and told them to holster those weapons before they hurt somebody. I was hoping to see bears....not bares. They were encouraging everyone they saw to drop trou and join in the fun, but The Sailor was not about to halt the family lineage with one fell swoop by a jagged rock or a near sighted squirrel rummaging for food. I bid them “Good day,” and no need to tell them which way was magnetic north. You may or may not want to use your imagination here.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

August 1 Kay Wood Lean-To
1,544.8 miles from Springer

A letter from a kid at camp

Dear Mom and Dad,
I am fine. How are you? Well, here I am on week fifteen at Camp Appalachia. It has been raining a lot and the sun hasn’t shone for over ten days now. Ranger Bill says it builds character. I thought you always told me I had enough of that! We hike a lot. I fall down a lot too. Ranger Bill says it may be a comical imbalance. Do they have medicine for that?

Today we ate pancakes before leaving Goose Pond Cabin. I had six of them just in case I forget to eat lunch. I sure miss your cooking Mom. I had a pleasant walk today as I crossed the Massachusetts Turnpike and made my way up Becket Mt. and then Bald Top Mt. It is hard climbing up mountains with a backpack. I grunt a lot, like Dad use to do when he carried me on his shoulders at the zoo. It is very muddy out here in the woods. Sometimes I sink in the mud up to my knees. I stepped on a snake today. He was black and yellow and about four feet long. He wasn’t very friendly. Neither one of us was happy it happened.

I went to a house today that sells blueberries. I met the “cookie lady”. She gave me some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. She was very nice. I wish I could find the “roast beef and mashed potato lady” soon! I hiked some more up Warner Hill and then on to a lean-to where I’ll be staying tonight. I’m staying here with some very nice hikers. We all get to make up names for ourselves like Shepard, Pippi, Solace, Boyscout, and Aswah. Sometimes they laugh at me, like tonight when I got a hole in my air mattress. I wonder if that builds character?

Well, I better go for now. I get up real early in the morning and hike all day. I love it our here in the woods. There is so much to see. Oh, Ranger Bill says I should hike by myself more often. He says you should get a new washing machine. Is ours broken? I love and miss you very much. If you move again, please tell me where this time. It was really hard finding you the last two times. P.S. Don’t forget to feed Sparky!

Driftin’ and Dreamin’
Lost Sailor
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sept.20,1999
"You decide which is real and which is an illusion.." - Lost Sailor

The pacing back and forth was both fast and furious at three o'clock in the morning. I could tell Ole faithful was concerned. It took three hard shakes to wake him. "We've got problems" I said. He sat straight up. "Bears?, Goblins?",he asks. "Worse" I said. "Seems like I miscalculated on the Sailor Oats and now have only enough for the standard fare rather than the Sailor Slam." "How could this have possibly happened?" he asks."Have you checked thouroughly"? After assuring him I had checked closer than a grandmother digging for her last piece of Juicy Fruit from her purse, he starts to put on his boots and he says it's only a mere seven miles back to the store. "Or I could give you a couple of PowerBars and some granola to offset the one packet your missing," he said. "That's nothing more than a glorified Happy Meal!" I contested. "Sailor, you've always told me there were no easy days on the Trail." "Don't I know it!" I said as I fell back into a deep slumber, knowing there would be nothing "standard" about this day.

As the Sailor awoke to meet the Trail one last time, he was greeted to a nice blanket of fog at 7:00am this morning. No concerns though as I knew it would burn off in a few hours. It actually gave Baxter State Park a magical quality. Cool!! The others have left the compound to make the ascent as Ole Faithful and myself lounged around for awhile. I was in no hurry, especially today of all days. Living in and for the moment was all I had in mind. I was off to a great start as I finally started the hike at 9:30 this morning.

Katahdin is like no other mountain I have ever climbed. Period. It is quite fitting that this is possibly the most challenging and spectacular climb of the whole trail for northbounders. Four thousand verticle feet in about four miles. Translation..You betcha! The Sailor was already in the mindset to have fun today, so whatever I had to do to reach the final blaze was just fine by me! Started the festivities with a climb about a mile up to Katahdin Stream Falls. A breathtaking delight and a nice introduction from the mountain! Katahdin didn't take long to introduce itself. In fact for the next two to three miles it had this Sailor babysitting the kids and doing the windows!! The climbing was steep and rocky. Hand over feet climbing. Metal rungs for support. Tough climbing. Loved every minute of it, as I made my way above treeline to the Gateway and then on to Thoreau Spring.

Encountered Hi-Lo and Poet coming down! They had just summited earlier in the day and were totally stoked! They had camped at the base the night before. It was so good to see them, and I congratulated them on an incredible accomplishment! They assured me it was a perfect day on top in every way. I beamed with excitement as I bid them farewell and continued on up to the TableLand. It was from here that I could get a view of the final summit, as it was about a mile away. The incredible scenery and views were awe inspiring as I made the final push up to the top. I was so close!! Emotions took over as the sign that marks the finish became visible. I couldn't help but reflect back on this incredible journey and it's people as I got closer and closer. It was quite the magical moment. And then it happened..I touched the last blaze and the sign that marks the northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail at 1:17pm EST!! Time seemed to have stood still, if not only for a short while as I slumped toward the sign, letting it hold me up. I had made it!! I had walked the entire Trail!! I was a thru-hiker at last!! Anything I say or could possibly write could do this moment any justice, but I have to say that it was one proud moment that I shall cherish forever. I was ecstatic to say the least. The Trailgods found it upon themselves to shower me with Cuban cigars and twelve year old Scotch that I had found in my pack as well. Thanks Larry!! How great is that?! Stayed up on the summit for about an hour and a half taking many pictures and taking in the beauty of it all! Obie, Headhunter, Hawk, Pilgrim and of course Ole Faithful were there to bask in the glory as well, Everyone was so happy!! Excellent!! We had walked the walk!!

I took the magical stone from Springer and placed it on the cairn at the top. I told Ole Faithful to get a good picture as I started to place it among the others before me. As I turned everyone had disappeared, except one. Before me stood the most beautiful woman my eyes had ever seen. Her awestruck beauty left me mesmorized as I went down on bended knee. "Lair Fady! Last Snailor..er..Lost Sailor at your Service!" Her voice was sweeter than that of a thousand nightengales. "Lost Sailor, welcome. You have come both far and wide to reach Katahdin. You have had many trials and tribulations along the way and you are to be commended for a most excellent adventure! I bestow on you now the title of Saint of Circumstance." I managed to finally speak. "If it's okay with you Fair Lady I'd like to stay Lost just a little while longer." "As you wish my most trustworthy servant. But you have come to me for a reason, your most important question I believe. I will grant you your wish." I was so excited that I could wait no longer. The words rolled off my tongue as I had practiced for five months."Fair Lady, Have you seen my car keys?" "Why yes" she said. "They are underneath the floormat on the passenger side." "Darn!" I said "And I only checked the drivers side!" "Thanks for your help" I said as I turned to walk home. "Lost" she said. "Now that you are a thru-hiker you have power to go home otherwise. All you have to do is click your heels and mouth the magic words."

After bidding The Fair Lady a hearty farewell, I tucked Glamdring and Orcrist under my arms, closed my eyes and started to mouth the magical words as I clicked my boots together. "There's no place like home..There's no place like.." Just then a stiff wind blew across the mountaintop causing me to slur my words. It was cold and I had a shiver as I opened my eyes to be confronted by a city population sign that read Gnome,Alaska. I couldn't believe it!! I started to scream. "Of all the rotten luck I have to wind up he.." And then sense of calm came over me as I thought out loud. "Don't they have a dog race here?" I smiled the smile.

Mountain Dew
07-01-2005, 13:46
Mow...YES, there are about to be 5 new weeks added in the next few days. It will be caught up within two weeks as well. OH and pics will be added as well

burger
07-01-2005, 21:35
I just started reading Break a Leg's journal (from this year), and it's really excellent. The woman can write. It's at http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=2627 (Yes, there are 30something pre-hike entries, but she has at a lot of interesting things to say.)

SGT Rock
07-02-2005, 08:38
Seems that "doing the AT" is similar to what "Backpacking in Europe" was for previous generations. Something to after college. Most do it more for the social than the wilderness experience. It is all a guess, mind you.

Are most hikers out for something differnent onthe AT? I honestly don't know. But, if you look at trail jouransl and videos, it is more about the social scence than the wilderness scene. Just my .05 worth...
I saw a sign at Kincora this year that said:

"All this hiking is interfering with my trail experience"

I thought that about summed it up for a couple of people I know.

Youngblood
07-02-2005, 09:19
I saw a sign at Kincora this year that said:

"All this hiking is interfering with my trail experience"

I thought that about summed it up for a couple of people I know.There are solitary hikers out there that you hardly ever hear anything about, there are social hikers that everyone hears about and there are hikers that fill in the entire spectrum between those two extremes. Most of the folks I hiked with covered a lot of miles and didn't get bogged down with the social aspect. The social aspect was there, but we all went our seperate ways and had loose groups that changed along the way. I don't think any of the folks that I hiked with made an effort to hitch back to Traildays because they were on the trail for the hiking aspect more than for the social aspect. Since being on WhiteBlaze for a few years now, I realize that there are several other styles of long distance hikes (and sometimes hikers) out there. I probably passed or were passed by some of these on my hikes but since it was in passing it was easy to forget about their style or simple not to notice them. The ones you are most likely to remember are the ones you were with the most unless something unique happened... some folks don't care whether they are noticed or not but some folks go to extremes to be noticed or do things such that they can't helped but be noticed.

Youngblood

irmah
07-02-2005, 09:23
You know when it comes to "good" journals..its all subjective. I read different ones for different reasons. Although I've done quite a bit of hiking, its all been in the Southwest with a small sampling on the Pacific Coast..and certainly never anything of this length. So now that I'm planning my 2006 NOBO, I look to read the experiences of people who are new to the AT or those who have returned for a 2nd try. Afterall, isn't hindsight 20/20? That being said.. my two favorites are Troll, Anchor & Oblivious' Journal
http://www.trailjournals.com/mccarty/ (http://www.trailjournals.com/mccarty/), they are a family of three, and I think Anchor has a great sense of humor and says the things most begining hikers probably think but do not say, and Oblivious' daily observations..(all the little things children see and appreciate that adults often overlook) make the journal real.
The other I enjoy is CuppaJoe's http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=80296, he attempted it in 2004 and back out for a second try.. he took all that he did wrong, too many miles, pushing too hard, and disciplined himself.. now truly enjoys the moment.The Go Light ,Go Easy group he hikes with is dynamic and I think because the AT is a more social atmosphere it is good to see how they watch out for one another.
Most people never regret taking beautiful photgraphs of scenary, they regret not documenting people along their hike who helped make the experience what it was, whether it was a trail angel going out of their way or another hiker who kept you on the trail once the motivation started to lag a bit.I think he does a great job and its the glue for the other journals Im reading since they usually cross one another's path.

ATSeamstress
07-02-2005, 10:41
I think that if a journalist "hikes the same hike" as the reader does, it's a more enjoyable read. I just got back from a two-week stint on the AT and I met a lot of wonderful hikers. Many of those who were focused on a traditional thru-hike did not have on-line journals. A few did. Personally I jot down a lot of notes on scraps of paper, then write a trip report when I return home. I've been told my trip reports are enjoyable, but they are time-consuming to write. I plan to thru-hike in 2009 and I'm not sure I'd keep an on-line journal because I wouldn't have the time to do it well.

Dharma
07-02-2005, 13:33
Like 'slogger and Jackie I wrote my journal for me. I put a lot of my internal process in there -- what was going on in my head as well as what the day's destination was and who I met during the day.

I knew my coworkers, fire dept buddies, and my family would be reading it, and I tried not to hold anything back. My mother sent me a letter on the trail that said "Great journal... I finally know who my son is." After I received that I knew I was really putting <b>me</b> out there.

Pictures really do it for me too. I have about 500 up so far and I still have more to upload.

http://www.trailjournals.com/dharma

bogey
07-02-2005, 23:27
I need help! Several days ago, someone posted a link to a trail journal by a 19 yr old young man. It was an absolutely hilarious read, so I printed it to share with a friend, and now I can't find it.

I'm sure someone remembers the one with the F*&%^ng Demons of Massachusetts.

Please help me prove I'm not imagining it!

Clark Fork
07-03-2005, 02:33
I need help! Several days ago, someone posted a link to a trail journal by a 19 yr old young man. It was an absolutely hilarious read, so I printed it to share with a friend, and now I can't (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=105589)find it.

I'm sure someone remembers the one with the F*&%^ng Demons of Massachusetts.

Please help me prove I'm not imagining it!
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=105589

Kenneth Seals aka "Traction."

This journal makes you think journalists should have awards. Traction, the clear winner of "Most Energy". Read his bio and how he came to be known as "Traction."

Perhaps the "Peoples Choice" award would go to either "Moosie" or "T-Rex." both are solid factual journals consistently posted.

But I agree on the output this year, no winner of the "Henry David Thoreau" award.

Still think "Then the Hail Came." is the standard.

I am following one journal at:

http://www.blackbirdjourney.com/

Well written and has a great photo album. Journalist has had some setbacks but writes about them in an entertaining way.

Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana

CrazyJane
07-04-2005, 22:31
I asked for journal suggestions and got a bundle of 'em. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I thought I’d summarize the suggestions in one post.

Also, since I posted I've discovered one I want to recommend—young, kooky, quirky, well-written, intelligent, Shinobu Price, "Buddha," CDT '05 and CT '04. Seasoned hiker who with her b/f has also done AT and PCT, I believe, though no journals. Check out her gear list for CT '04 for an introduction to her zany approach.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=2918 (http://)

Here follow the suggestions, forgive me (and set me straight) if I’ve missed any.

Kenneth Seals, “Traction,” AT SOBO ‘05
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=105589 (http://)

Scott, AT ’05, http://www.blackbirdjourney.com/ (http://)
Jeffrey Hunter’s blog at
http://southeasthiking.blogspot.com/ (http://)

All in One Roll, http://www.2000milehike.com/ (http://)
and Then the Hail Came,
http://www.skwc.com/exile/Hail-nf.html (http://)

Paul Magnanti AT ‘98 http://magnanti.com/mags_at98.htm (http://)

Jess W, “Break,” AT ‘05
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=2627 (http://)

The McCarty Family, AT ’05, ”Troll, Anchor and Oblivious,”
http://www.trailjournals.com/mccarty/ (http://)

Richard Ahlf, “Cuppa Joe,” AT ’05
http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=80296 (http://)

Bill Cooke, “CookerHiker” AT ‘05
http://www.trailjournals.com/cookerhiker2005/ (http://)

Hud Hartson, AT ’03 and 05,
http://www.at2003.com/ (http://)

Pete Gomoez, “Dharma,”
http://www.trailjournals.com/dharma/ (http://)

Adam Collins, “Grizzly Adam,” many trails! 2002 - 2005
http://www.trailjournals.com/grizzlyadam05/ (http://)

Old Fahrt suggested John David, “Single Malt,” AT ’99
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=12 (http://)
and
teased us with three wonderful entries from "Lost Sailor" from 1999, apparently not online. Where can we read this, Fhart?

Thanks again, one and all. If missed any, forgive me -- and correct me,
Crazy Jane

bogey
07-05-2005, 01:15
I asked for journal suggestions and got a bundle of 'em. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I thought I’d summarize the suggestions in one post.

Also, since I posted I've discovered one I want to recommend—young, kooky, quirky, well-written, intelligent, Shinobu Price, "Buddha," CDT '05 and CT '04. Seasoned hiker who with her b/f has also done AT and PCT, I believe, though no journals. Check out her gear list for CT '04 for an introduction to her zany approach.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=2918 (http://)

Here follow the suggestions, forgive me (and set me straight) if I’ve missed any.

Kenneth Seals, “Traction,” AT SOBO ‘05
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=105589 (http://)

Scott, AT ’05, http://www.blackbirdjourney.com/ (http://)
Jeffrey Hunter’s blog at
http://southeasthiking.blogspot.com/ (http://)

All in One Roll, http://www.2000milehike.com/ (http://)
and Then the Hail Came,
http://www.skwc.com/exile/Hail-nf.html (http://)

Paul Magnanti AT ‘98 http://magnanti.com/mags_at98.htm (http://)

Jess W, “Break,” AT ‘05
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=2627 (http://)

The McCarty Family, AT ’05, ”Troll, Anchor and Oblivious,”
http://www.trailjournals.com/mccarty/ (http://)

Richard Ahlf, “Cuppa Joe,” AT ’05
http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=80296 (http://)

Bill Cooke, “CookerHiker” AT ‘05
http://www.trailjournals.com/cookerhiker2005/ (http://)

Hud Hartson, AT ’03 and 05,
http://www.at2003.com/ (http://)

Pete Gomoez, “Dharma,”
http://www.trailjournals.com/dharma/ (http://)

Adam Collins, “Grizzly Adam,” many trails! 2002 - 2005
http://www.trailjournals.com/grizzlyadam05/ (http://)

Old Fahrt suggested John David, “Single Malt,” AT ’99
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=12 (http://)
and
teased us with three wonderful entries from "Lost Sailor" from 1999, apparently not online. Where can we read this, Fhart?

Thanks again, one and all. If missed any, forgive me -- and correct me,
Crazy Jane CJ, thanks for the compilation. one i've been enjoying readind and I don't know who mentioned it. (I'm sure I didn't find it on my own)

Break a leg at http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=2627

Spirit Walker
07-05-2005, 10:24
Right now I read mostly CDT journals and a few journals from people I know on other trails. I wouldn't keep an online journal while hiking - it seems to become too much of a burden for a lot of hikers and it shows after a while. They write for the audience, not for themselves any more and some of what they write is pretty dull. (Maybe they keep their real journal private and just put the boring stuff in their public journal.) I've seen people take days off so they could get their on-line journals current. I wouldn't do that. I keep a journal while hiking, but it's for me, so I have the detailed memories after the trail that would get lost without it. Afterwards I'll share it with those who are interested, but I'm not writing for them. I do enjoy going back and rereading my journals, so they serve their purpose. I do enjoy reading some journals because they bring the trail experience to life for me - but now that there are so many, I've become a big more picky about what I like. Not every journal will do.

In reading other people's journals I have several favorites. What I like are people who are really enjoying the experience. If all they do is bitch, it doesn't make me want to hike the trail, and it really doesn't make me want to spend time with them. I keep thinking, "Am I glad I don't hike with him/her!" I like journals that make me really see the land they are going through and the reality of daily life. Some journals seem generic - "I walked 25 miles today." "I ate xxx today." "I'm exhausted today." Could be any hike, any trail. Some make me see the trail as something worth doing, others just make me think the hiker is barely enduring it. A little bitching is normal, it is hard to hike all day every day in all kinds of weather and conditions, but some people do nothing but complain - what a waste of time.

William Tarantino (Pony Express), Brian "Buck 30" Tanzman and Doug Walsh all have good CDT journals this year. My favorite CDT journal is still Jonathan Ley's from a few years ago - he had so much fun. But the others seem to be enjoying themselves too. Makes me want to go back - which is why I read the journals in the first place.

Jaybird
07-05-2005, 11:03
For what it's worth, I've gone the other extreme. My 2005 AT journal of this year's section hikes has only 42 day entries, but over 270 photos!............etc.........etc.........etc.... ..

me too! i took almost 1,000 photos on my recent 3+week section hike & UPLOADED about 300 on my trail journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/jaybird2005)....seems like the THRU-HIKERS get into the HIGH MILES thang & forget about the scenery/photos!

Dharma
07-05-2005, 11:22
Crazy Jane, this is a journal by Deja Vu who hiked the AT in '04. It's about her adventure in Africa with the Peace corps (post trail). I think it's worth reading from the beginning.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/bgoodspeed/

-Dharma