PDA

View Full Version : How'd you get your trail name?

barberino
04-03-2013, 18:56
I'm just curious about the stories behind peoples trail names. What's yours? Did you pick it out or was it given to you, and why?

I don't have one, I've weekended on the A.T. before, going to do some long distance this summer.

Teacher & Snacktime
04-03-2013, 19:08
Ours were self-assigned, but very appropriate. I am my grandson's homeschool "teacher" and breaks for goodies are nearest and dearest to his eleven-year-old heart. Everyone in our family laughed aloud at the announcement of Ed's name, as they've all heard his plaintif "Is it snacktime yet Grandma?". This is who we are.

RedBeerd
04-03-2013, 19:09
While hiking the LT everyone seemed to comment on the red in my beard. Redbeard was self given but seemed appropriate!

wren again
04-03-2013, 19:29
Started as "Forward" but that became a political motto, so I chose "Wren" because I enjoy their singing and protection of their young. The next year, I was asked who I was going to be, and I answered "Wren Again", and that is the name I have kept.

My hiking partner is "Shadow". She had a friend who wanted to hike with her, but passed away before it could happen. That friend is her shadow on the trail.

Teacher & Snacktime
04-03-2013, 19:33
Barberino, have you considered "anonymous"?

Frank Patriot
04-03-2013, 19:37
My trailname is "Puddin". I certainly didnt pick my own. I made some 'trail pudding' after dinner one night when I was backpacking in Sipsey with some buddies. It looked pretty gross, but I thought it tasted pretty good, so that's the name they picked for me.

barberino
04-03-2013, 20:06
No, I have not considered anonymous, I have a couple ideas for a trail name myself, barberino's a nick name given to me in boy scouts, i've learned to accept barby as a nickname, both are a play off my last name. Grandpa Barby by somefriends cause I hurt my hip snowboarding, and walked around with a limp, while gripin' about my hip haha.

I like the name Mateo best, I'm a Spanish minor, and love the name Mateo. While I love my real name, Matthew, I hate the name Matt (No offense to any Matts out there, there's a lot of family history to my preference). Takes me a while to persuade even close friends to use my full name sometimes. But, Mateo ties in with my Spanish interest, maintains a hint of my identity, and no one has shortened it when I've used it, so far.

So if I had to chose, I'll probably go with Mateo, but I'll be kinda curious if anyone comes up with anything more creative on the trail.

BradMT
04-03-2013, 20:41
In 1961 I was born and my mother and father gave me the name "Bradley"... it was later shortened to "Brad".

I think it's a good name and is fine on a trail too.

GoldenBear
04-03-2013, 21:48
I just chose it for myself, in honor of my college team.

Hot Flash
04-03-2013, 21:51
The first part of mine is because I'm always cold, the second part because I'm a little bit slow when I hike. It's all the more funny because most people assume I have it because I'm a middle-aged woman. :D

Kookork
04-03-2013, 22:13
I was searching for a trail name couple of days ago here in this forum and turned out that majority of members liked my Iranian Trail name Kookork which means " Mountain bird" in my original Dialect which is a branch of Persian. It was given to me after a long solo climbing In Iran 20 years ago. I went for a solo climbing for 3 weeks but I stayed for more than 3 months and came back when the mountains were covered in deep snow so they called me Mountain bird.

I am going to stick to my Iranian name next year.Somebody said it opens conversation which is not bad at all. I want to thru hike AT which is kind of social gathering which happens to be a 2180 miles long. maybe the longest social trail in the world.

steve43
04-05-2013, 18:09
I was given my trail name Fifo by my kayaking buddies in NC. It stands for F*@?ing idiot from Ohio. I'm sure they meant it in the nicest way.

Different Socks
04-05-2013, 18:37
Given to me by my GF one day on a hike in Whites about 2 years before I did the trail.

wesleygalles
04-05-2013, 20:26
I'm heading out on a SOBO in late June early July...I don't know if I'm gonna stick with my self assigned or pick up one on the way. If I stick with my own, my trail name is gonna be, "Tex"

Datto
04-06-2013, 00:33
My trailname was given to me by someone who'd seen me after I'd hiked the Knobstone Trail in Indiana during the nineties -- I'd had a 55 lb backpack and they'd initially asked me, "What happened to that toe?" when turned into "What happened to dat toe". Then the other person said I should take that as my trail name -- dat toe so I didn't forget what a fool I'd been for carrying a 55 lbs backpack on the most difficult Knobstone Trail.

Then Dan Quayle called me up to leave a message on my answering machine (he was from my neighborhood) to tell me I should drop the "e" at the end of my traiiname so people didn't think I'd mis-spelled my trailname. I'd taken the advice from Mr. Vice-President.

Datto

Tree Nerd
04-06-2013, 01:34
My trail name is Pig-Pen, as in the character from Charlie Brown.....it was a combination of given, chosen, and fitting. For several reasons, i don't shower/bath as much as most people and have a pretty good stench about me sometimes; generally I don't care.....No, I'm not the "stinky kid in class," I actually smell pretty good for how little I bath (several people say its an anomaly haha). My main reason for this behavior is that I see it wasteful to bath every day when I (and pretty much every other human) can easily go three or four days (normally), even a week or two (very rare occasions) before I "feel" dirty or start to have B.O......Im assuming its going to be worse during my thru, no different than anyone else, but the name fits me.

SwissGuy
04-06-2013, 03:03
I have a tattoo under my watchband that says NEMO in honor of Everett Ruess. So memo was natural I guess

mrcoffeect
04-06-2013, 07:32
I was given my name years ago because of the little percolator coffee pot I carry. at home I drink between 10 to 15 large dunkin donuts coffees a day.:banana

poopsy
04-06-2013, 08:01
Like KooKork I am having problems choosing a current trail name. I have had several over the years, mostly given to me in specific situations. I don't know which to pick right now. Here's the list:
Gunga Din - Given to me as I was walking through a swamp instead of walking around. As in "You're a better man than I am Gunga din`
Rocket Robinhood - Given to me by an irritated Boss who wanted me to blast off.
Nature Boy - Sarcastically by my older daughter as I dragged her on another trail.
Poopsy - Gleefully by my younger son after an unfortunate incident
Bubbles - A sarcastic six year old gave this to me as a comment on my weight. Unfortunately it stayed a long time.
Marche - Pronounced `marsh`. Given to me by myself while I was recovering from a major illness. From the French Foreign Legion`s motto `Marche ou Creve`

Comments or input would be appreciated

msupple
04-06-2013, 09:16
"Cat in the Hat".....given last year during my AT hike because I wore this hat. http://www.villagehatshop.com/kangol-bamboo-mowbray-pork-pie-hat-black.html?CAWELAID=944637996&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CN_PnsiPtrYCFe5AMgodKWsA4g

redseal
04-07-2013, 20:24
Check out my About Me section on the site below for my story!

Sleeps_With_Skunks
04-08-2013, 02:37
I got mine after the third incident in which a skunk tried to join me in the evening while hiking. Freaking critters even try to get up in the bunks with me in shelters.

barf_jay
04-08-2013, 08:18
To many beers and chicken wings in one sitting....

-Barfo

Old Hiker
04-08-2013, 08:30
Semi-self given with help from my Scouts from many years ago. I'm old(er). I hike. My Scouts thought it was appropriate. I was old to them at the time.

I like "FIFO" from above. Maybe FIFFL next time for me! I could get the Disney character doll to carry. Or learn to play the fife. Or start learning to play the fife at the shelters at night.