PDA

View Full Version : Trip Ideas For this Weekend

greatbahen
06-30-2005, 16:08
My friend and I want to go on some kind of backpacking trip this weekend. We both haven't been in so long that we got the itch. We wouldn't be able to leave until Saturday afternoon, but we don't have to be back until Monday night. We would be leaving out of Jackson, MS. Does anyone have any good suggestions for our short hike?

Dances with Mice
06-30-2005, 21:57
My friend and I want to go on some kind of backpacking trip this weekend. We both haven't been in so long that we got the itch. We wouldn't be able to leave until Saturday afternoon, but we don't have to be back until Monday night. We would be leaving out of Jackson, MS. Does anyone have any good suggestions for our short hike?I-20 to just west of Atlanta. I-285 North to GA-400. 400 North to GA-60.
Follow 60 through Dahlonega towards Suches. Cross Woody Gap, go downhill to Tritt’s Store, on the left across from the lake at Suches. That’s FS Rd 42. Follow it past Gooch Gap, past Cooper Gap, then stop at Hightower Gap. Park there.

Or…if you’re adventurous… once in Dahlonega follow the signs to the Army Ranger camp, Camp Frank Merrill. Drive carefully though the security road blockades then take the road immediately to the right of the camp’s front gate. That’s Cooper Gap road. It’ll intersect the AT at Cooper, turn left and the next road intersection is Hightower Gap. Much shorter, road's just a little rougher.

Walk south on the AT, up Hawk Mtn, to Long Creek Falls. Take the Benton Mackaye / Duncan Ridge Trail north, away from Springer. Depending on when you start, stop at Hawk Mtn or Long Creek Falls Sat night. Sunday continue on to the swinging bridge for Sunday night. If there’s too big a crowd at the bridge, retreat back to Bryson Gap. Monday it’s back to the car and the drive home.

Back in Dahlonega on your return run, ask directions to "The Smith House".