PDA

View Full Version : to trail head at Springer

fantasticwrite
04-03-2013, 20:34
I'm driving down to Amicalola Falls State Park in early June and I am curious if there is a shuttle that takes hikers up to the trail head. I want to make it to Neel's Gap in three days and I'm worried that I can't do that if I have to hike the approach trail. Thanks for the help!

max patch
04-03-2013, 22:26
Nothing free. Won't have any trouble finding a paid shuttler to get you there.

M&M.
05-08-2013, 05:15
You can also park at the top of Springer. The approach trail is about a four hour hike from the welcome center in the park. From the top of Springer to the parking lot is about .9 miles.

kcnal
05-17-2013, 19:06
You can also park at the top of Springer. The approach trail is about a four hour hike from the welcome center in the park. From the top of Springer to the parking lot is about .9 miles.

Sorry...don't mean to hijack the thread...

I found the following link about parking at the springer trailhead (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?215 )--apologize if I missed the follow on question:

Is it okay to part there for 3/4 days? I know the thread mentioned a @2.00 fee, wasn't sure what that covered...

max patch
05-17-2013, 20:15
Thats kinda an old post...

1. Yes, you can park at Springer for 3/4 days. Its considered safe.
2. The $2 parking fee has been eliminated for at least 5 years.
3. I'll just go ahead and mention that you can also park at AFSP. That is very safe. There is a parking fee ($5 I think) which is good for 1 day up to 6 months.
4. If going to Springer use the "easiest" way described in the post. FS42 is an excellent road. I would never use the "more difficult" route described.

Chris10
05-17-2013, 21:09
If headed to the trail head from dahlonega, is it best to just pay for a shuttle, or is FS 77 passable with a regular vehicle? (It wouldn't make sense to go back past AFSP to FS 42, would it?)

thanks

MuddyWaters
05-17-2013, 21:39
Then take 3.5 days.

The approach trail adds only 4-5 hrs.

However, you should be parking at Neels gap area, and get shuttled to your start point.

max patch
05-18-2013, 10:40
If headed to the trail head from dahlonega, is it best to just pay for a shuttle, or is FS 77 passable with a regular vehicle? (It wouldn't make sense to go back past AFSP to FS 42, would it?)

thanks

From Dahlonega your best bet is probably to go to Camp Washega Rd and drive to the Frank D Merrill Ranger Base. From there take FS 80 (Cooper Gap RD) to FS 42. Turn left on FS 42 and parking lot is about 10 miles.

I wouldn't consider FS 77 until someone that you trust posts that they were on the road recently and that it was ok for a passenger car. My personal knowledge of FS 77 is not current.

Matthikes
05-18-2013, 12:01
I took 77 up to the Springer parking lot a month ago in the wife's minivan. It wasn't bad at all then, but with all the rain we have had up here it may be a little more iffy.

max patch
05-18-2013, 12:30
Thanks Matt, since you live in Dahlonega you should know.

Adriana
05-18-2013, 13:31
Has anybody been on FS 42 in the past week? We've had lots and lots of rain in the past couple of weeks and wonder of it has become too rutted to risk with a Nissan Rogue tomorrow.

Chris10
05-18-2013, 15:51
Appreciate the feedback. Any recommendations on a shuttle from dahlonega?