Carried
Granite Gear
Pack cover and stuff sack
$39.95

Pack
Always
Carried
Granite Gear
Blaze AC 60 Backpack (Reg Length, Small Belt)
$239.95

Pack
Always
Carried

Fanny/Front Pack

Pack Total

$279.90

Rain Gear
Always
Carried
Outdoor Research
Jacket
$198.95

Rain Gear
Always
Carried
Outdoor Research
Pants
$159.95

Rain Gear Total

$358.90

Shelter
Always
Carried
Big Agnes
Fly Creek UL 2 Platinum (tent body, fly and footprint)
$455.00

Shelter
Always
Carried
Big Agnes
Fly Creek UL 2 Poles, titanium stakes and bag
$59.95

Shelter Total

$514.95

Sleeping
Always
Carried
Thermarest
NeoAir Pillow
$39.95

Sleeping
Always
Carried
Thermarest
Down Pillow
$39.95

Sleeping
Always
Carried
Thermarest
Xtherm 2.5" Reg 20" x 72" Sleeping Pad & Sack
$189.95

Sleeping
Always
Carried
Alloy
20L -> 6.5L Waterproof Compression Sack (sleeping and camp clothes)

$34.95

Sleeping
Warm
Carried
Western Mountaineering
HighLite 35 Degree Sleeping Bag (6' 6")
$310.00

Sleeping
Always
Carried
Sea to Summit
Thermolite Reactor sleeping bag liner
$54.90

Sleeping
Cold
Carried
Western Mountaineering
Versalite 10 degree 6' 6" down sleeping bag
$498.95

Sleeping Total

$1,168.65

Swim/Town
Always
Carried
Patagonia
Baggies Shorts
$49.00

Swim/Town Total

$49.00

Tools
Always
Carried
Winchester 14
Multifunction tool
$19.99

Tools
Always
Carried
Black Diamond
Cosmo 70 headlamp
$29.95

Tools
Always
Carried
Benchmade
Griptilian 551 MDP Knife
$109.95

Tools
Always
Carried
Kelty
Triptease Lightline 50' Cord
$19.95

Tools
Always
Carried
Generic
3 Screew Hooks
$3.00

Tools
Always
Carried
Generic
Safety Pins (6)
$2.00

Tools
Always
Carried
Generic
Mini Wallet
$5.00

Tools
Always
Carried
Energizer Lithium
4xAAA Batteries
$7.00

Tools
Always
Carried
Thermarest
Mattress repair kit
$0.00

Tools
Always
Worn
Timex
WS4 Watch/Comp/Alt/Baro
$109.90

Tools
Always
Carried
Zebra
Pen w/Duct tape wrapped
$3.00

Tools Total

$309.74

Water Storage
Always
Carried
Platypus Hoser
3L Bladder and hose
$24.95

Water Storage
Always
Carried
Platypus
0.5L Bottle
$7.95

Water Storage Total

$32.90

Water Treatment
Always
Carried
Aquamira
Purification drops 1fl oz 2-part
$14.95

Water Treatment
Always
Carried
Sawyer
Inline Bladder Water Filter
$65.95

Water Treatment Total

$80.90

GRAND TOTAL

TOTAL OUNCES
$4,299.74

TOTAL POUNDS

TOTAL CARRIED COLD

TOTAL CARRIED WARM

TOTAL WORN COLD

TOTAL WORN WARM

Praha4
04-03-2013, 20:52
you've got almost 2.5 lbs of camp clothes and camp shoes.... a lot of xtra weight to haul up n' down those mountains, some of your Icebreaker Bodyfit tops and bottoms can double as hiking and sleep/camp clothes. .... also 2 lb 8 oz of electronics, ditch the Kindle. I wouldn't carry any cotton clothing, even for sleep shirt.... use a polyester tee shirt for sleep/warm weather hiking top..... some good gear, good luck!

jcheil
04-03-2013, 21:11
you've got almost 2.5 lbs of camp clothes and camp shoes.... a lot of xtra weight to haul up n' down those mountains, some of your Icebreaker Bodyfit tops and bottoms can double as hiking and sleep/camp clothes. .... also 2 lb 8 oz of electronics, ditch the Kindle. I wouldn't carry any cotton clothing, even for sleep shirt.... use a polyester tee shirt for sleep/warm weather hiking top..... some good gear, good luck!

My Kindle and Music is my serenity; especially after a hard day's work/walk. And based on may other discussions, a kindle doesn't weigh "much" more than a typical paperback and takes up less space so it essentially is a wash.

And again, might be overthinking it, but when I get to camp, I want DRY clothes to put on and keep me warm (and god forbid, to save my life). I am not sure that I am comfortable ditching those 12.9oz; unless I find out that I am never wearing my "hiking" ones, then I'll definitely ditch one pair or the other.

But I do thank you for your suggestions. I've been over this list so many times and I just think I am down to the bare minimum, without giving up the "comfort" level that I need to enjoy myself. I am hoping however, that I am not missing anything?

Chaco Taco
04-03-2013, 21:20
My Kindle and Music is my serenity; especially after a hard day's work/walk. And based on may other discussions, a kindle doesn't weigh "much" more than a typical paperback and takes up less space so it essentially is a wash.

And again, might be overthinking it, but when I get to camp, I want DRY clothes to put on and keep me warm (and god forbid, to save my life). I am not sure that I am comfortable ditching those 12.9oz; unless I find out that I am never wearing my "hiking" ones, then I'll definitely ditch one pair or the other.

But I do thank you for your suggestions. I've been over this list so many times and I just think I am down to the bare minimum, without giving up the "comfort" level that I need to enjoy myself. I am hoping however, that I am not missing anything?
Praha4 is right, you are over doing the clothing. Think about how much time you spend in camp before you go to sleep.

Chaco Taco
04-03-2013, 21:22
and why carry a filter and Aqua Mira. Pick one and go with it? I have been carrying Aqua Mira, I rarely use it unless its peak weekends.

jcheil
04-03-2013, 22:59
and why carry a filter and Aqua Mira. Pick one and go with it? I have been carrying Aqua Mira, I rarely use it unless its peak weekends.

The filter in "inline" with my bladder, and it claims (according to the fda reports) to remove all bacteria, etc. And it is convenient in that you don't have to pump it or anything, just fill the bladder from the source and it filters as you drink/use it and doesn't need backwashing unless you have really crappy water (in which case I plan to pre-filter with a bandana). However it will not remove viruses. So I guess I was going with the AquaMira for that part?

And the camp clothes were for mostly for sleeping. Perhaps I am being to paranoid about the cold? But again, Florida guy here who hates when it gets in the 60's. I wish i knew how much longer the "cold" would be going on up there? Although I am sure I would need them in VT/NH/ME.

Again, I defer to the people with more experience than I, which is anyone that has hiked 1 mile :)

MuddyWaters
04-04-2013, 01:03
I've been over this list so many times and I just think I am down to the bare minimum, without giving up the "comfort" level that I need to enjoy myself.

You are a long ways from the bare minimum.
What you believe you are taking to make you comfortable, will paradixically, really make you un-comfortable
Or make you quit altogether.

You say you defer to people with more experience
But, when someone offers a suggestion, you argue your point of why you need what you have
If you are close-minded, you wont shave any weight at all

MuddyWaters
04-04-2013, 01:05
duplicate ......

EllieMP
04-04-2013, 01:19
This is quite the detailed list you have.. First thought is "WOW".. I want to see what other people's lists look like. I'm just beginning to build my gear collection and wasn't planning on all those things to carry. I'd love to know what a bare minimum list would be if anyone would share that..

MuddyWaters
04-04-2013, 01:41
clothes on your back

Tent/tarp
sleeping pad
groundcloth (for shelter)
sleeping bag

pack
waterproof pack liner

small light
small knife

light breathable raingear top w/hood
light breathable raingear bottom (winter)
waterproof/breathable overgloves (winter)

1oz liner gloves
1 oz fleece beanie
long baselayer bottoms
light fleece top
light puffy top
clothing sack
1 pr extra socks
1 pr extra lightwt running shorts (opt)
1 extra synthetic shirt (opt)

food bag
bear line/carabiner (opt)

water bottles 2x 1L
water treatment

cookpot (opt)
stove/windscreen (opt)
fuel container (opt)
mini-bic lighter (opt)
small book matches (opt)

spoon

map/guidebook pages
small compass (opt)

First aid kit
money/credit card
bug dope
head net
soap
sunscreen
toothpaste/toothbrush
toilet paper

small camp towel

Chaco Taco
04-04-2013, 06:10
The filter in "inline" with my bladder, and it claims (according to the fda reports) to remove all bacteria, etc. And it is convenient in that you don't have to pump it or anything, just fill the bladder from the source and it filters as you drink/use it and doesn't need backwashing unless you have really crappy water (in which case I plan to pre-filter with a bandana). However it will not remove viruses. So I guess I was going with the AquaMira for that part?

And the camp clothes were for mostly for sleeping. Perhaps I am being to paranoid about the cold? But again, Florida guy here who hates when it gets in the 60's. I wish i knew how much longer the "cold" would be going on up there? Although I am sure I would need them in VT/NH/ME.

Again, I defer to the people with more experience than I, which is anyone that has hiked 1 mile :)
Well IMO, its overkill. All you need is either or and Id go with the Aqua Mira. I treat my water on occasion. Parts of Virginia will need treating because of the horses. Another thing with water is that after you do whatever you need to do with your water, use hand sani. This is actually how folks end up with Giardia. The list Muddy Waters posted with teh essentials will get you where you need to be

Lone Wolf
04-04-2013, 06:18
$200 bucks for walkin' sticks? $500 bucks for a sleeping bag? $358 for rain gear? damn!

fredmugs
04-04-2013, 06:49

I agree. Keep the Kindle and the Tunes. Don't let the anti-technology people rattle you. I love breaking out my MP3 player before a tough climb.

It appears you have mulitple sources of light. One headlamp should be pletny and you can get an App for your phone that acts as a backup.

Footwear is a personal choice but I am so glad when I ditched the sock liners and the wool socks. I wouldn't bring the Trail Gloves as my camp shoes. You could save half a pound right there.

jcheil
04-04-2013, 07:47
You are a long ways from the bare minimum.
What you believe you are taking to make you comfortable, will paradixically, really make you un-comfortable
Or make you quit altogether.

You say you defer to people with more experience
But, when someone offers a suggestion, you argue your point of why you need what you have
If you are close-minded, you wont shave any weight at all

I am trying to be open minded, and I am not arguing; I am simply explaining my reasoning behind a certain decision.
I am very much open to suggestions from others and do thank everyone again for their continued suggestions.

jcheil
04-04-2013, 07:51
It appears you have mulitple sources of light. One headlamp should be pletny and you can get an App for your phone that acts as a backup.

Footwear is a personal choice but I am so glad when I ditched the sock liners and the wool socks.

Excellent idea, I never thought of the phone as a backup light source.
And I have been 50/50 on the sock liners thing since the start. They may very well be the first thing to go either on the trail or before I leave tuesday.

jcheil
04-04-2013, 07:54
$200 bucks for walkin' sticks? $500 bucks for a sleeping bag? $358 for rain gear? damn!

I'm sure if I had more time, I could have saved some $ here and there on certain items, but since I only had 3 & 1/2 weeks to prepare for this hike, I didn't have that luxury. But then again, it seems like pertty much all outfitters charge the same price for the same (brand) item anyways.

rocketsocks
04-04-2013, 07:55
Two pillows? or is one a sit pad?...I use three at home:o

jcheil
04-04-2013, 08:47
Two pillows? or is one a sit pad?...I use three at home:o

Kinda both. One is a down pillow with a "pocket" to hold the one that inflates. And the one that inflates is also my sitting pad.
And I had to go this route because I have C-3/4/5 disc issues in my neck, and being a side sleeper, I have to keep my head elevated on the same plane as my spine otherwise I wake up with a paralyzed neck.

jcheil
04-05-2013, 01:08
Ok, I am gonna ditch the filter and the camp shoes and just go for a $5 pair of flip-flops (5oz). If it turns out I am not even using "them" (the more I think of it you are prolly right), I can just throw them in a hiker box and chalk up the $5 to my cursed overthinking.

But, still worried about dumping the camp(sleeping) base long underwear top and bottom. I wasn't going to get them to begin with thinking that leaving April 10th would be "warmer" but I got them at the last minute due to the crazy weather they have been having. I have a 10degree bag and a liner...I just don't know...

tycho
04-05-2013, 01:46
I'm sure if I had more time, I could have saved some $ here and there on certain items, but since I only had 3 & 1/2 weeks to prepare for this hike, I didn't have that luxury. But then again, it seems like pertty much all outfitters charge the same price for the same (brand) item anyways.

You could ditch the Big Agnes tent and go for a Six Moons Skyscape Trekker and save both a couple ounces and $200.

You can get a Marmot PreCip for about $80 instead of the MR jacket ($200) you have listed for the same weight.

Etc.

I mean sure, if you've got a lot of money to burn that's fine. Theres nothing wrong with buying the latest high end gear-type stuff, but even starting with no gear setup to work off of you could still thru hike on $2-3K less of purchased gear. Do you really need two different WM bags? And an Xtherm? If I were you, I would start the hike with a basic setup and gear up a little along the way if you do feel you need something. Even by Neels Gap you may have a very different idea of what gear you need. Tis easier than buying a bunch of expensive gear that later you may find you don't need at all. My bet would be that the farther you get down the trail, the less you will care that you got a $110 benchmade knife instead of bringing a razor blade.

EllieMP
04-05-2013, 02:08
Thank you Muddy Waters! Your list looks more manageable. Is this list created from experience or just an idea of what you think would be enough? I'm not sure about the weather changes or where on the trail I would be when it does change. Would the clothes you would bring and wear keep you warm? You don't mention extra shoes/boots that I see most list. Our feet are very important on this very long walk to Maine. Is it expected that a shopping spree will be needed as you get into the North country?

jcheil
04-05-2013, 02:09
You could ditch the Big Agnes tent and go for a Six Moons Skyscape Trekker and save both a couple ounces and $200.

You can get a Marmot PreCip for about $80 instead of the MR jacket ($200) you have listed for the same weight.

Etc.

I mean sure, if you've got a lot of money to burn that's fine. Theres nothing wrong with buying the latest high end gear-type stuff, but even starting with no gear setup to work off of you could still thru hike on $2-3K less of purchased gear. Do you really need two different WM bags? And an Xtherm? If I were you, I would start the hike with a basic setup and gear up a little along the way if you do feel you need something. Even by Neels Gap you may have a very different idea of what gear you need. Tis easier than buying a bunch of expensive gear that later you may find you don't need at all. My bet would be that the farther you get down the trail, the less you will care that you got a $110 benchmade knife instead of bringing a razor blade.

All this gear is already bought, but I totally agree that there were way cheaper ways of doing it, IF I had had the time to do tons of research, etc. But I only had 3 weeks prep time and 2 of those weeks I was still working full time. And I am not rich by any means, but I did have a large budget planned for this trip if needed.

And that tent you mentioned is interesting, but it is a trecking pole tent; and I did not want to go that route - I wanted a freestanding (as much as that definition stands true) tent.

prain4u
04-06-2013, 00:14
It is HYOH (Hike Your Own Hike). Feel free to carry as much (or as little) as you want. HOWEVER, you for ask for ideas and opinions...so I will share some:

--Overall, too much in the clothes department Especially in the socks, sock liners and underwear department.

--Two pillows is overkill. Personally, I carry none. Put clothing or gear under my head for a pillow.

--I am concerned about cotton T Shirts(s). When wet--does not dry well. Wet clothes are heavy to carry and virtually useless. Cotton can sometimes take days to dry out. Provides no warmth when wet. Actually chills you. The phrase "Cotton kills"---exists for a reason.

--2.5 lbs of electronics is excessive--in my opinion. (But HYOH). If you add your other "electronic" things NOT included in that list (extra batteries, headlamp, watch)--you are closer to THREE POUNDS OF ELECTRONICS!!!! Eliminate items--consolidate items--find ONE charger that can charge all devices etc. Your luxury" items (i.e. electronics) are (collectively) almost the heaviest category on your list. Think about that highlighted statement. Let it sink in. Reflect upon it. Then re-evaluate your gear list accordingly. You will be LIVING IN THE WOODS for 4-7 months and you plan to carry more weight in "electronics" than you will carry in "important" categories such as: 1) Camp Clothes. 2) Cookware 3) Hiking equipment. 4) Hygiene items 5) Pack 6) Rain gear 7) Water storage/treatment. 8) And your electronics weigh about the same as your shelter. That indicates that some priorities MAY be out of alignment. (But HYOH)

--I know some other people carry "screw hooks"--but what are you going to do with them? Damage trees? Damage shelters? PLEASE leave them home.

--Just a note: $358.90 in rain gear--rips and tears about the same as $20-$60 rain gear. Just a lot more costly when it tears.

--Don't need BOTH water filtering and water treatment on the AT.

I wish to repeat what MuddyWaters wrote: "What you believe you are taking to make you comfortable, will paradoxically, really make you uncomfortable---Or make you quit altogether".

You have seen what other folks are suggesting. Make what ever decisions you decide are best FOR YOU. Then------go out and have a fun and safe hike.

MuddyWaters
04-06-2013, 14:20
Thank you Muddy Waters! Your list looks more manageable. Is this list created from experience or just an idea of what you think would be enough? I'm not sure about the weather changes or where on the trail I would be when it does change. Would the clothes you would bring and wear keep you warm? You don't mention extra shoes/boots that I see most list. Our feet are very important on this very long walk to Maine. Is it expected that a shopping spree will be needed as you get into the North country?

Thats the basics for 3 season hiking, anywhere.

Clothing is a layer system
baselayer
midlayer
Insulation layer
Outer layer

these layers can be tailored to season, but real winter is different and more demanding.
Heavier insulation, insulated pants, heavier base layers, heavier gloves, etc.

jcheil
04-08-2013, 12:07
It is HYOH (Hike Your Own Hike). Feel free to carry as much (or as little) as you want. HOWEVER, you for ask for ideas and opinions...so I will share some:

--Overall, too much in the clothes department Especially in the socks, sock liners and underwear department.

--Two pillows is overkill. Personally, I carry none. Put clothing or gear under my head for a pillow.

--I am concerned about cotton T Shirts(s). When wet--does not dry well. Wet clothes are heavy to carry and virtually useless. Cotton can sometimes take days to dry out. Provides no warmth when wet. Actually chills you. The phrase "Cotton kills"---exists for a reason.

--2.5 lbs of electronics is excessive--in my opinion. (But HYOH). If you add your other "electronic" things NOT included in that list (extra batteries, headlamp, watch)--you are closer to THREE POUNDS OF ELECTRONICS!!!! Eliminate items--consolidate items--find ONE charger that can charge all devices etc. Your luxury" items (i.e. electronics) are (collectively) almost the heaviest category on your list. Think about that highlighted statement. Let it sink in. Reflect upon it. Then re-evaluate your gear list accordingly. You will be LIVING IN THE WOODS for 4-7 months and you plan to carry more weight in "electronics" than you will carry in "important" categories such as: 1) Camp Clothes. 2) Cookware 3) Hiking equipment. 4) Hygiene items 5) Pack 6) Rain gear 7) Water storage/treatment. 8) And your electronics weigh about the same as your shelter. That indicates that some priorities MAY be out of alignment. (But HYOH)

--I know some other people carry "screw hooks"--but what are you going to do with them? Damage trees? Damage shelters? PLEASE leave them home.

--Just a note: $358.90 in rain gear--rips and tears about the same as $20-$60 rain gear. Just a lot more costly when it tears.

--Don't need BOTH water filtering and water treatment on the AT.

I wish to repeat what MuddyWaters wrote: "What you believe you are taking to make you comfortable, will paradoxically, really make you uncomfortable---Or make you quit altogether".

You have seen what other folks are suggesting. Make what ever decisions you decide are best FOR YOU. Then------go out and have a fun and safe hike.

Thanks so much. I "am" listening to everyone, despite my initial "defenses" of my choices.
I AM dumping the filter, and the camp shoes. Also found some smaller 2oz bottles so I can carry less sunscreen, soap and hand sanitizer.

I think I will dump the sock liners. At first a bunch of people almost insisted on them, but I am starting to wonder if they are really worth it.

The pillow thing is difficult: I must have a very high pillow otherwise my neck injury will go into kick-my-butt mode overnight. But I am testing out ways to fit clothes in a stuff sack to supplement the height - but I am concerned that I may not have any DRY clothes to stuff it with?

I also mis-represented my intention on what I labeled as "camp clothes" and should have said, "sleeping clothes". Cotton shirt (the ONLY cotton item I was going to bring) was for sleeping only. So I figured that it would not be wet since I would only be using it for that purpose?

Electronics...I guess I will just have to take that one as it goes. I way to ENJOY myself. Not be bored when I am sitting at camp for the couple of hours before I go to sleep. I do not know what to expect at "camp time". You know, it is a highly social type place? Or does everyone usually eat and then go right to sleep, etc.?

jcheil
04-08-2013, 12:38
Ok, I now have my COLD base down to 21.1lbs which I am thinking is not all that bad from what I read. Warm will get me down to 18ish. Both weights WITH my comfort (electronic) items.

And ironically, with my luck, the heat wave will start the week that I start hiking.
But, I will feel reassured knowing that I have all of that warm gear waiting for me when I get to VT/NH/ME.

Praha4
04-25-2013, 22:22
I think some newbie hikers confuse car-camping with AT backpacking .... I constantly see gear lists with lots of "what ifs" and extra crap that folks think they must have to relax at night... books, decks of cards, dice, electronics, extra sleeping clothes, town clothes, swimming clothes, etc.... all that extra crap and weight does cause more stress on the knees, feet and body as hikers pound away up and down the rocks, roots and hills on the AT. If folks want to carry all that extra stuff, go for it. I'm guessing by now this poor guy has begun to wonder why he brought so much crap and will be looking to jettison some of this junk along the trail. I'm not criticizing anyone who puts their lists on here and asks for suggestions, that's how we all learn, the school of hard knocks. Best of luck to you jcheil.